Taiyo Yuden DVDs, Are They Really The Best?
Feb 28, 2007 at 2:13 PM Post #17 of 35
Quote:

Originally Posted by jmmtn4aj /img/forum/go_quote.gif
o.O A method of finding out before you actually pay for the disks would be awesome..
tongue.gif

A lot of online sites list the manufacturer. If you are in the shop, if it says 'made in japan' on the box, then you have a good chance of them being tayio yuden.

Feb 28, 2007 at 3:18 PM Post #19 of 35
If you're in america, I recommend buying online from supermediastore.com . They ship free and they carry the best TYs and Verbatims.

EDIT: It's also linked in the article blessing pointed towards.

Feb 28, 2007 at 7:52 PM Post #21 of 35
Quote:

Originally Posted by Kirosia /img/forum/go_quote.gif
If you're in america, I recommend buying online from supermediastore.com . They ship free and they carry the best TYs and Verbatims.

EDIT: It's also linked in the article blessing pointed towards.

Ditto, SMStore is awesome, great prices and I have yet (over 2 years) to have a Tayio or a Verbatim media issue. They are both excellent media. I cant say that for any other vendor to date.

Feb 28, 2007 at 9:59 PM Post #23 of 35
Quote:

There are two kinds of "fakes". One type of fake is the cakebox clone, making novice users believe that the product is made by Taiyo Yuden when it, in fact, is not. The other type is borrowing the media code.

Faked discs with borrowed media codes are a double evil because the customer is misled and the drives will write to the disc with a TY strategy instead of the correct, customized strategy.

No faked discs with TY-style hub codes are known, so these codes are safe to check with. Genuine TY media smells like peaches, because they're made in Fukushima, Japan, which is known as the "Fruit Kingdom"!

Damn, I smelled my Taiyo Yuden and they smell like, well, DVDs. Mine must be fake.
icon10.gif

Feb 28, 2007 at 11:35 PM Post #24 of 35
I use a lot of CDR and DVDR media. I can't tell you how happy I have been with T-Y vs others. I only wish I had found out about using Japanese media sooner. Its not that they sound better, there are fewer SBE's and much fewer coasters.

Mar 1, 2007 at 12:13 AM Post #25 of 35
I use T-Y something like 99.9% of times.
I have used other brands for testing or because I had run out of DVD's at the time.
With my burner it appears to be the best match. Synergy is the magic word again.
But quality varies even between the various T-Y options (pack of jewel case, slim cases, spindle) both is performance and in consistency (of that good performance).

Mar 1, 2007 at 7:06 AM Post #27 of 35
Quote:

Originally Posted by jmmtn4aj /img/forum/go_quote.gif
o.O A method of finding out before you actually pay for the disks would be awesome..
tongue.gif

For the DL DVD+R Verbatims a friend of mine bought, he said the ones made by MCC could be distinguished by the font used on the plastic case. I don't remember the details though, but you could probably google it. Here's the website I was talking about earlier: http://www.digitalfaq.com/media/dvdmedia.htm

Mar 1, 2007 at 7:24 AM Post #28 of 35
verbatims or taiyo yudens are both GREAT! just don't buy crap like ridata, memorex, & GQ (GOOD QUALITY?! LAFF!) or anything else that's not verbatim or TY. I for one use verbatims as they are extremely great discs for extremely great prices.

Mar 1, 2007 at 7:43 AM Post #30 of 35
Quote:

Originally Posted by dj_mocok /img/forum/go_quote.gif
TDK is also very reliable too. I think if one doesn't want to pay a bit more for Taiyo Yuden, either TDK or Verbatim are really highly reliable.

while i wouldn't say tdk is necesarily bad, but it sure doesn't rank up there with verbatim/ty.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back