Tag&Rename query
Apr 12, 2004 at 2:33 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

pomegranate

100+ Head-Fier
Most of my mp3 have the track number in the file name.
so a file looks like this e.g. G:\Music Library\Albums\# A B\Beatles, The\A Hard Day's Night\01 A Hard Day's Night.mp3

Can I use Tag&Rename (or any other free program) to AUTOMATICALLY change the file names of all of my music files to remove the track number from the start of the filenames?

If so, how would I do it? I'm not familiar with T&RN

Apr 12, 2004 at 3:16 PM Post #2 of 10
I tried Tag&Rename for 30 days free. Then; I went ahead and bought it. I really like it. And yes; you can change the names any way you like. Very flexible!

give it a try.....

Apr 12, 2004 at 3:37 PM Post #3 of 10
Cool, thanks AGR, I am trying it now, have done a couple of albums. Only problem is I have more than 7000 songs in about 600 albums, it will take a very long time to do it one album at a time. Do you know if there is anyway to set it up to do the whole lot in one go?

Apr 12, 2004 at 3:39 PM Post #4 of 10
As long as the proper id tag information is present (meaning all info was input upon original CD rip) then all options will be available to you within a matter of a click or 2 and setting up the name parameters. eg; %6 - %2 (6 being track number and 2 being song name..take the %6 away and yer good)

I like tag and rename as well. But to pay what the author is asking is nutz considering how many free tagging proggies are out there ....So I'll just do it my way.

Apr 12, 2004 at 3:57 PM Post #5 of 10
Quote:

Originally posted by pomegranate
Cool, thanks AGR, I am trying it now, have done a couple of albums. Only problem is I have more than 7000 songs in about 600 albums, it will take a very long time to do it one album at a time. Do you know if there is anyway to set it up to do the whole lot in one go?

Very welcome! I only have done 1 album at a time. I think if you just move the tracks over to T&R, that you want, it should work. Give it a try, and see.
smily_headphones1.gif

Apr 12, 2004 at 4:04 PM Post #6 of 10
SS I'm not sure I get what you're saying, don't you think it would be a chore to go through them one album at a time? Sure, each album is easy enough, as you say only a couple of clicks per album...come to think, it might be the way I have my directories set up:
g:\music library\
then sources (Albums, Compilations, Singles, Downloads)
and then under each of those folders, grouped alphabetical artists, such as "# A B" or "C D E F"
then a folder for each Artists under each letter group, then a folder for each Album in each artists folder
Anyhoo.... what I'm trying to get across is that navigating my albums is more time consuming than you might be thinking...

Or am I missing something?

Apr 12, 2004 at 5:15 PM Post #8 of 10
Actually, don't worry, I kind-of got it figured out, just had to open every folder and learn the keyboard shortcuts (select all and retag) and its a bit faster. Still a tad laborious tho!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back