Tae Guk Gi: The Brotherhood of War, Best War movie I've ever seen!
Jul 19, 2005 at 1:52 AM Post #16 of 30
Quote:

Originally Posted by Todd R
In any case, it was a lot better than the predictable formula crap movies that Hollywood puts out.
I love that foreign (to Americans) films have such a fresh perspective and usually much better stories.
TR

This might just be a cultural thing. After you see enough movies from a particular country you might find all their storylines similar or they usually try to push a similar idea (family, friendship, money, revenge, etc).

American war movies concentrate more on the war itself, it matters who wins or loses. They tend to concentrate more on the individual hero that has to do something to protect the greater good whether it be the majority of troops going home alive, the country itself, freedom, a way of life, etc. Whereas in Taeguki in the end it really didn't matter what happened to anyone else. The brothers didn't care anymore which side won the war. Communism or not it didn't matter to them anymore, what mattered was their relationship.

Jul 19, 2005 at 3:41 AM Post #17 of 30
I only got to see half of it, but the half I saw was visually very impressive. It has much of the style of Saving Private Ryan, but the cameran tends to focus in more closely, and gives fewer respites from the kinetic action. I remember that my impressions of how the story was handled was very good. A bit too pricey to buy at the moment, but I will most certainly rent it again.

Jul 19, 2005 at 9:04 AM Post #18 of 30
Quote:

Originally Posted by YamiTenshi
I agree with you on the beginning being a little too happy. It felt really forced, but I understand since they only had a few minutes to establish their family life before they go off to war. But the last battle scene when they meet again completely makes up for it (won't say more to spoil it
icon10.gif
).

As far as I know Friend only had one of the actors from Tae Gu Ki (Jang Dong Gun). It was well acted but the storyline reminded me too much of Shanghi Grand, even the part at the end when Jang Dong Gun walks out.....
rolleyes.gif

both the main actors in friend are both in brotherhood of war. One of them just has a smaller part.

Jul 19, 2005 at 9:05 AM Post #19 of 30
Quote:

Originally Posted by Todd R
In any case, it was a lot better than the predictable formula crap movies that Hollywood puts out.
I love that foreign (to Americans) films have such a fresh perspective and usually much better stories.
TR

Todd,

Check out Infernal Affairs. One of the best crime films EVER created. EVER.
Dont read any reviews, Just watch it, the twists in the film are guaranteed to throw you for a loop and give you goosebumps because they are so well done. The music soundtrack in the film is superb also. there is a region 1 version of this film in the states, with a horrible dvd cover (Americanized)

so good that martin scorsese is directing the American remake with rumored di caprio and brad pitt.

Jul 19, 2005 at 11:54 AM Post #20 of 30
Quote:

Originally Posted by RnB180
Dont read any reviews, Just watch it, the twists in the film are guaranteed to throw you for a loop and give you goosebumps because they are so well done. The music soundtrack in the film is superb also. there is a region 1 version of this film in the states, with a horrible dvd cover (Americanized)

i strongly second this recommendation. it's a really really good flick.

Jul 19, 2005 at 12:19 PM Post #21 of 30
Quote:

Todd,

so good that martin scorsese is directing the American remake with rumored di caprio and brad pitt.

Thanks, it's on the Netflix list now.

Has anyone seen Maria Full of Grace? Another great movie.

Jul 19, 2005 at 12:31 PM Post #22 of 30
I have. refreshing watch (feels somewhat documentary like without all the melodrama.

But somehow, I don't think her performance was worth an oscar nomination.

Do you guys get the Internal Affairs box set which collects all 3?

Jul 19, 2005 at 4:51 PM Post #24 of 30
the killer and better tomorrow are classics, dont forget heard boiled.
I personally think a better tomorrow is one of woo's best with the killer coming in second and hard boiled in the number 3 spot.

Jul 19, 2005 at 9:12 PM Post #25 of 30
I've seen all the Infernal Affairs and recommend all but the third movie. And going along the same lines I also recommend "Jiang Hu" which also stars Andy Lau, it has a lot less action but the storyline and the twist at the end are really good. My favorite scenes are when Andy Lau and Jacky Cheung are sitting around discussing their views on how to lead a triad.
icon10.gif

I love classic John Woo films before he moved to make movies for Hollywood. I'm kinda surprised no one has recommened "Bullet in the Head" yet, this is definately one of his best, not just violence wise but also for the character development and storyline.

Jul 20, 2005 at 1:48 PM Post #26 of 30
Tae Guk Gi - bought tears to my eys since i'm korean.. :'(
Infernal Affairs - its pretty difficult to understand whats going on unless you watch 1, 2 and 3... but it's a brilliant movie also..

Jul 20, 2005 at 8:51 PM Post #27 of 30
Quote:

the killer and better tomorrow are classics, dont forget heard boiled.
I personally think a better tomorrow is one of woo's best with the killer coming in second and hard boiled in the number 3 spot.

Yeah, but then that's about it, it all goes downhill from there.
frown.gif

I only watched the first half of Tae Guk Gi, watching it fro start to end later when I have more time.

-Ed

Jul 21, 2005 at 3:51 PM Post #28 of 30
infernal affairs ? hmm, its a ok movie with a memorable start where the two leads listening to tube based hi fi with expensive cable

Aug 28, 2010 at 4:28 AM Post #29 of 30
For me , best war movie EVER, too. And it´s also, pure natural, even much more than other war movies....well,some scenes, uh.
basshead.gif

Aug 28, 2010 at 6:21 PM Post #30 of 30
Wow! Reviving an old, old thread!

FWIW, I also love Tae Guk Gi. Fantastic film.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back