Taboo?!!
Jan 27, 2006 at 7:40 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 13

GrooveTropics

Head-Fier
Is there anything wrong with busting out a pair of open cans say like the SR-80's in public, school for instance, to compliment your Ipod??

If so could suggest a closed but similar sounding cans or ear bits.

Thanks?

Jan 27, 2006 at 7:46 PM Post #2 of 13
Well, I can't actually see that there is something wrong with wearing a pair of open phones in public except in places where peace and quiet is observed. I used to wear my SR325i in public, but they were a little too flashy and attracted too many wierd looks so I stopped using them (in public). I use IEMs instead.

Jan 27, 2006 at 9:05 PM Post #5 of 13
Absolutely not!! As long as it's not a library, or church, I beleive you will be fine. Whatever you do, don't wear the bose quitecomforts, like I saw on somebody in the subway today!
eek.gif
Evertime I looked at him, I couldn't stop laghing at him!
tongue.gif

Jan 27, 2006 at 9:49 PM Post #6 of 13
Like others have said, as long as it is not a library or any other place that needs quiet who cares but if you have to crank it loud in order to hear then I wouldn't recommend it. I always shake my head at people who crank their music really loud because it seems so futile and dangerous for themselves but I forgive them because they don't know any better. Since you're on head-fi I assume you know better, just get a pair of IEMS so you don't hurt your ears. Nothing is more precious than your health.

Jan 27, 2006 at 10:08 PM Post #9 of 13
I would agree. Open cans in public isn't ideal...

Personally I feel that portable music should be private music... I don't enjoy sitting on the bus or walking in a hallway and hearing someone's music blasting (of course it's just noise to me). I remember times where I could hear people's music over mine when I was using open/earbud headphones...

I got some IEMs and it's the best thing i've done. I don't have to turn my volume up to hear the details of the music and I can't hear anyone elses music or conversations. I'd reccomend IEMs if you are looking to buy some headphones for portable audio.

Also I don't know the details of this but is it safe to bring these $300+ open headphones outside when it's windy? Wouldn't that potentially damage the drivers?

Jan 27, 2006 at 10:38 PM Post #10 of 13
...for some reason i get this image in my head of a guy on a new york subway in the with one of those computer case-sized boomboxes from the eighties...

if *that* wasn't taboo, I can't see open headphones being taboo... assuming you don't mind being like one those guys on a new york subway with one of those computer case-sized boomboxes....

...i've never been to NY (except for about 20 minutes on a stopover), so if the stereotype is way off... well, then that's my excuse :p

Jan 28, 2006 at 1:15 AM Post #11 of 13
I wear my Grado's outside, but the volume thing is a bit hard near traffic. I just try and walk on the quieter side streets.

Mind you, I've never walked around downtown with one of these, so I wouldn't know the experience.

Jan 28, 2006 at 1:21 AM Post #12 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by cheechoz
Absolutely not!! As long as it's not a library, or church, I beleive you will be fine. Whatever you do, don't wear the bose quitecomforts, like I saw on somebody in the subway today!
eek.gif
Evertime I looked at him, I couldn't stop laghing at him!
tongue.gif

Shame on you! hehehe

Jan 28, 2006 at 1:51 AM Post #13 of 13
I am always tempted to bring my A700s with me for portable use. I just could never bring myself to doing it. I don't care what other people think about me, it's just the 10 ft cord and the inability to put them anywere other than around my neck when I want to talk to someone else that's stopping me. I need a good pair of low profile, circumaural ( little bit of an oxymoron), and closed cans for outside use. After using my A700s for quite some time I can no longer stand superaural headphones, and earbuds and IEMs bug me. My Koss Pro 3s were perfect for this. They folded up so I could stuff them in my sweater temporarily, they didn't sound that bad, and were superaural. Many times I found myself blasting them and leaving them around my neck so I could here the music, and people did not seem to mind.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back