Tablets as music source
Nov 28, 2014 at 9:53 AM Post #3 of 13
  How good compared with the desktop pc ?

If you're using them as digital transports, they're indistinguishable on the same file type - the real question is compatibility (ie some DACs require specific USB drivers for all or for high res playback) and storage (some wireless apps for accessing remote storage can't do lossless). I'll graduate to a real music server by next year and the tablet will be relegated to a remote though (easier to navigate the contents on an NAS on a tablet interface than on a tiny screen, even if it's a headphone system where it will be within arm's length).

Nov 28, 2014 at 4:41 PM Post #4 of 13

?

Do you mean the output quality of the integrated audio system?

I was meaning the output quality ,indeed , Because the PC can be modded by changing the soundcard. How good are , in fact the soundcards in the tablets ? Can I just add an amplifier on the output jack for my 120ohm headphones or should I mandatory  add an external DAC anyway and go on usb out ( Dragonfly, Dacmagic xs,MF V-DAC mk2)? My tablet is aToshiba Encore 2 10inch .

Nov 29, 2014 at 12:52 AM Post #5 of 13
I was meaning the output quality ,indeed , Because the PC can be modded by changing the soundcard. How good are , in fact the soundcards in the tablets ? Can I just add an amplifier on the output jack for my 120ohm headphones or should I mandatory  add an external DAC anyway and go on usb out ( Dragonfly, Dacmagic xs,MF V-DAC mk2)? My tablet is aToshiba Encore 2 10inch .

All tablets still use an integrated audio chip with the DAC and amp in there, and the amp isn't exactly using a nice power supply with a bank of power capacitors among other things, so don't expect anywhere near the best SQ. That said, many of them vary in performance, and some are acceptable with some headphones. My iPad2 does well enough on my HD600 when the power's out for example, but I have the Ibasso D-Zero so I just hook that one up to the USB output of the tablet.

If you're going to use an amp though you might as well use a DAC, that way the amp section gets a cleaner line signal from the DAC section. There are a lot of integrated units for not much more money, you just need one that's compatible with your tablet (if it outputs USB audio then just get the D-Zero MkII). 

Nov 29, 2014 at 7:15 AM Post #6 of 13

All tablets still use an integrated audio chip with the DAC and amp in there, and the amp isn't exactly using a nice power supply with a bank of power capacitors among other things, so don't expect anywhere near the best SQ. That said, many of them vary in performance, and some are acceptable with some headphones. My iPad2 does well enough on my HD600 when the power's out for example, but I have the Ibasso D-Zero so I just hook that one up to the USB output of the tablet.

If you're going to use an amp though you might as well use a DAC, that way the amp section gets a cleaner line signal from the DAC section. There are a lot of integrated units for not much more money, you just need one that's compatible with your tablet (if it outputs USB audio then just get the D-Zero MkII). 

I got a Windows 8.1 tablet ,just to avoid incompatibilities on Android devices.

Nov 29, 2014 at 1:07 PM Post #8 of 13
I'oscillating between a fiio E18 combo DAC/Amp (wich is a more economical all in one solution) and a two pieces , Hifiman EF2A amplifier in the first phase ,and then adding a DAC ( dragonfly, dac magic xs or V-dac mk2 -I suppose they are better than the one inside the tablet ) if it's not good enough sounding...but not the most economical situation.

Nov 30, 2014 at 9:55 AM Post #9 of 13
You're listing both portable and desktop (AC powered) DACs and amps.If you really need it to be portable, try the Ibasso D-Zero II - the original was no slouch and the new one has an improved amp circuit. Also compatible with Android and iOS so I assume it should work on W8. If it's going to be a desktop unit, check if it works for example with something like the AudioGD NFB-15 - less than $300 and you get a solid amplifier with a decent DAC.

Here's how I use my tablet and phone BTW - both are only used as USB audio servers. Adapters are hooked up to the sync port on the dock.

Dec 3, 2014 at 1:44 PM Post #10 of 13
I use Rhapsody at 320 kps streaming from an Ipod Air into the HRT Istreamer DAC. This apple product specific DAC bypasses the Ipod internal DAC. The signal is then seen by an Emotiva power amp. Through speaker taps I power the hifiman HE-6. It sounds great. 

Dec 5, 2014 at 6:04 AM Post #12 of 13
I use an iPad connected to a Jdslabs O2+Odac for bedtime listening with high quality streaming sources such as Qobuz and Tidal. You need to use the camera connection kit and put a powered USB hub between the iPad camera connection kit and the DAC to make this work, due to iPad limitations. For me it's a great sound quality option and makes controlling streaming services much easier than using a laptop while lying down in bed.

Dec 9, 2014 at 9:46 PM Post #13 of 13
Hey Now,

I use a first gen iPad 64gb with a powered USB hub that uses a 30 pin dock with a Meridian Explorer DAC into a BH Crack w/SB and DT880/600 with very good results. I play FLAC Player with hirez 24/96 files with no issues and stream Spotify @ 320kbps. It sounds good.

I am getting ready to replace the Crack with an ALO Amphora and the Beyers with a pair of JVC DX1K.

--
Finest kind,
Chris

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Users who are viewing this thread

Back