Tabletop Gaming?
Oct 17, 2016 at 2:01 PM Post #31 of 36

Setup Eldritch Horror. I'm working my way through the rule book at present and it seems a fair bit more complicated than Elder Sign. Hopefully it'll become clearer, having played it through a couple of times...

Get this to the table yet? One of the couples in our gaming group picked up Arkham Horror and want to foist it on us, even though I warned them that an 8-player game of it with mostly new players was likely to take 8 hours. Having pretty mixed feelings about our next board game night now, lol, especially given that we don't start until 5:30 and I've got work the next morning.

In the meantime, I've picked up waayyy too many new games recently. Captain SonarDead LastGo Cuckoo, and Sekigahara are all games that I've purchased myself (the latter being a pre-order that I actually forgot about and that just happened to wind up in my hands on the same day as the other three), and Mechs vs. Minions and Ticket to Ride: Europe were gifts. Plus I've got gift cards burning a hole in my pocket, so it seems likely that I'll be picking up another game in the near future. Still need to get pictures of Fury of Dracula up too, so if I can get my reading goals accomplished this week I might get around to snapping a few photos of all of the above all set up next week sometime.

Oct 17, 2016 at 3:53 PM Post #32 of 36

Get this to the table yet? One of the couples in our gaming group picked up Arkham Horror and want to foist it on us, even though I warned them that an 8-player game of it with mostly new players was likely to take 8 hours. Having pretty mixed feelings about our next board game night now, lol, especially given that we don't start until 5:30 and I've got work the next morning.

Sadly no, just haven't had a run of hours on any given day for the last few weeks that would make it possible. As you may have noticed from the Movie thread, my time has been pretty much booked out by the London Film Festival for the last two weeks! Saw 19 films in total, so more than one a night on average! I intend to have a play through of Eldritch Horror the next free weekend I get... just not sure when that'll be.

I'll be interested to hear your experiences of Arkham Horror, if you do end up playing it. Sounds like quite an undertaking though!

Oct 18, 2016 at 11:15 AM Post #33 of 36

Sadly no, just haven't had a run of hours on any given day for the last few weeks that would make it possible. As you may have noticed from the Movie thread, my time has been pretty much booked out by the London Film Festival for the last two weeks! Saw 19 films in total, so more than one a night on average! I intend to have a play through of Eldritch Horror the next free weekend I get... just not sure when that'll be.

I'll be interested to hear your experiences of Arkham Horror, if you do end up playing it. Sounds like quite an undertaking though!

Indeed, you've been quite busy.Think you may have seen more movies in the last few weeks than I've seen all year, lol.

Oct 31, 2016 at 1:58 PM Post #34 of 36
Alrighty, lots of pictures and play reports forthcoming:

Played quite a few games that are new to our group recently. We did not go forward with our previously planned 8 player Arkham Horror play through because its owners did come to the conclusion that it would take literally 8 hours and that I was not exaggerating, so they're going to do some house rule investigation and practicing to see if they can get it a bit shorter. Instead, we played Captain Sonar, which is everything that child me ever wanted Battleship to be--if you've got 7 friends who are willing to pretend that they are submarine crewmen with you for 30-45 minutes it is a blast, particularly if everyone is a bit drunk and is willing to roleplay their roles (which results in a wonderful Star Trekish bridge crew experience). We also played Dead Last, a card game version of the prisoner's dilemma, which half the group loved and half the group loathed--about what I was expecting. The trickier and sneakier and better at lying your group is the better this game is going to go over. Also got three people to play Ticket to Ride: Europe with me and each really enjoyed it--it's difficult for me to imagine a better intro game to 'serious' board gaming, other than perhaps Pandemic.

Lastly, played a game of Scythe with more than 2 players for the first time, and it was amazing. Seems like the game consistently lasts about a half hour per player, (plus about a half hour rules explanation for new players), which for a game of its scope and scale is pretty much unbeatable, in all player count ranges. Looking forward to the new expansion releasing in November that will take the max player count up to 7, which by my estimates should result in a 3.5-4 hour game, which is fantastic insofar as I'm concerned. The nearest deep strategy game I've got that can support a healthy amount of players (6) is A Game of Thrones, and that one can exceed 1 hour per player in length and often results in some hurt feelings, boredom, and disengagement, to boot. Scythe, by contrast, is a lot more friendly (only had three combat encounters in the entire game), and is a lot simpler to explain and play--everyone in the group enjoyed it, even those who dislike complex games, and all said they'd be willing to play again. Even drew a bit of crowd of curious on-lookers who without a rules explanation were catching on to the mechanics pretty quick. Scythe is quickly shaping up to become a top-10 game in my collection, and is now firmly my go-to strategy game.

Anyways, here's some pictures of games all set up:

This one is Captain Sonar--it's a team vs. team game of hidden information, where each team is controlling a submarine and trying to hunt the other team's submarine down. Each team is divided into 4 roles: the captain, the first mate, the engineer, and the radio operator, each with unique functions to perform. The game is played in real-time.

This is Sekigahara, one of the more handsome games in my collection. 2-player only, so it'll probably be a while before I get to play it.

Close up of some of the components in Mechs vs. Minions. (Sorry I know nothing about photography or how to actually take good pictures.) Campaign-game with minor legacy-game elements--also one of the best 'unboxing' experiences I've ever had with a board game. Layers upon layers of gorgeous components with some of the best inserts in my collection. I've got too many campaign games in my collection to give them all the due they deserve, and with the supposedly 100-hour-plus Gloomhaven just around the corner they're likely to get even less due, but I'm still hoping that a friend and I will be able to start a campaign of Mechs vs. Minions soon, hopefully this weekend. (Alternatively, we might start up Warhammer Quest: Silver Tower, which I'm equally excited about. No pictures of that one though, because unfortunately the components, miniatures excluded, are really quite bad. Easily the worst card quality of any game in my collection, and some questionable graphic design choices, to say the least. At least the rules seem pretty great if you're a fan of dice-chucking dungeon-crawling, so you're not just paying for the miniatures. Still, makes me a bit nervous about the forthcoming relaunch of Blood Bowl--hope a lot more care goes into that one.)

Ticket to Ride: Europe. Lovely design, quick and easy gameplay. And lots of cool little plastic trains.

Last up is Fury of Dracula. Weirdly huge board for how few components there are--it is a Fantasy Flight production and lord knows Fantasy Flight likes their huge boards, but this game would have honestly been fine with a board half the size. Haven't played it since it's entered my collection, but hoping to get the right combination of 5 players to really make it shine soonishly.

Nov 13, 2016 at 5:31 AM Post #35 of 36
Played Ticket To Ride: Europe last night. Lost by a single point - 104 to 105 - painful!

I hadn't played the Europe edition before - a few neat additions to the rules. I've played the Nordic Countries expansion and I think tunnels work the same way in that, but stations were new to me. I screwed up though... thought I'd made a route from Madrid to Dieppe on my last go using stations to hijack someone else's route, only to realize I'd overlooked one connection. 
mad.gif

Too many glasses of Vacqueras I reckon! Suffering this morning... 
confused_face.gif

Nov 13, 2016 at 11:49 AM Post #36 of 36
  Played Ticket To Ride: Europe last night. Lost by a single point - 104 to 105 - painful!

I hadn't played the Europe edition before - a few neat additions to the rules. I've played the Nordic Countries expansion and I think tunnels work the same way in that, but stations were new to me. I screwed up though... thought I'd made a route from Madrid to Dieppe on my last go using stations to hijack someone else's route, only to realize I'd overlooked one connection. 
mad.gif

Too many glasses of Vacqueras I reckon! Suffering this morning... 
confused_face.gif

If it makes you feel any better, I don't think I've ever played a game of Ticket to Ride where someone wasn't a mere 1-2 points behind someone else--usually behind the person in first. 

Played four newish games recently--Epic Spell WarsSmash UpMysterium, and Mechs vs. Minions. Didn't much care for the former two--they've both OK games at their core, but both go on for waaaaaay too long, which is sort of a death knell for games that are as simple as they are. Mysterium is a new addition to my collection (picked it up with a Barnes & Noble Gift card on a whim), and it was a huge success. Only bad thing I can say about it is that the rulebook and the insert are garbage, but once you puzzle it out it's a simple game that nonetheless asks a lot out of its players. It's a fully cooperative game where the players themselves are their own worst enemies, not the game itself, which is a pretty refreshing twist on the co-op genre. As for Mechs vs. Minions, I'm pleased that it plays as prettily as it looks. Pretty simple rule-set that allows for surprisingly complex strategies and combinations, and because the game continues to evolve as you work through the campaign it's consistently surprising. Not sure how the replay value will be, but I guess I'll find out sooner or later.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back