Tablet to wirelessly control external hard drive?
Jan 26, 2014 at 7:24 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

MGHMay

New Head-Fier
Hey guys, my current set-up is a HP ENVY m6 (which I bought before I joined and became more informed thinking that the sound card would be good as it was Beats, turns out I was robbed) - HRT MicroStreamer - Project Headbox S - AKG K550. What I was wondering though is if I could swap out the laptop for a tablet, external hard drive and some thing that allowed me to wirelessly select music through the tablet. The important thing is that the hard drive - DAC - amp is all wired but the control is wireless. Have any of you had any experience with this? Do you think it would work? I don't want to spend more than the 300 pounds I'd get for the laptop.

Jan 26, 2014 at 10:21 AM Post #3 of 11
Yes but I don't want to stream per se, I want the audio connection to be wired just to be able to access the music on the external hard drive from my tablet and play it through the amp.

Jan 26, 2014 at 1:16 PM Post #6 of 11
Some sort of NAS device might be able to use an external sound card and support media player software that would have an mobile remote software to control it. Not sure how much something like that would set you back with the added price of a tablet, a cheap laptop might still be a better solution.

Jan 26, 2014 at 1:51 PM Post #7 of 11
Hm, when you said cheap laptop it made me think of the Raspberry Pi (not a laptop but a cheap desktop), and i've done a little bit of research and I think I could make a raspberry pi run a media player that I could control over wi-fi. This would be perfect, anyone had any experience with it? Thanks MrDelicious

Jan 26, 2014 at 3:49 PM Post #8 of 11
That's a good idea, be sure to check that you can connect the MicroStreamer to it though.

Jan 27, 2014 at 10:31 AM Post #9 of 11
You could just keep everything the way it is and use either jriver media center or foobar, and then control those applications via their tablet remotes. You can use jremote for jriver or monkeymote for foobar.

Jan 30, 2014 at 6:32 PM Post #10 of 11
Hm, if I had the money I'd probably do that but if I were going to get a tablet I'd have to sell my laptop, it was just blue sky thinking really. It think it would be pretty swish to control a hi-fi through a tablet. That's what ladies like right?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back