Tablet question / help
Dec 30, 2014 at 9:38 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

Phishin Phool

500+ Head-Fier
I ordered a cheap windows 8.1 tablet (since they were out of stock in local store) since I have a few things I would like to do that my android tablet isn't really suited for. Previously I gave up and traded my Fiio dac/amp because I couldn't get the USB OTG cable to work nicely with it or my Galaxy S3 phone and just use the headphone out plugged into an amp. My question is since this tablet has a usb port I plan on loading Foobar2000 (institute WASAPI) , being windows I should be able to access my NAS wirelessly where I have ~500GB music and stream to the tablet and then use the usb cable to feed a DAC --> Amp. Any troubles doing this with a windows tablet that you can foresee?   

Dec 30, 2014 at 10:16 AM Post #2 of 5
It depends on the tablet. Is it a full-use USB port that can be used like a PC USB port, or is it a limited use USB port like is on most phones and many tablets? I think the way to tell is if a USB flash drive can be plugged in to that USB port. If that works, then I think a DAC might also work.

Dec 30, 2014 at 11:43 AM Post #3 of 5
  Previously I gave up and traded my Fiio dac/amp because I couldn't get the USB OTG cable to work nicely with it or my Galaxy S3 phone and just use the headphone out plugged into an amp. 

Any troubles doing this with a windows tablet that you can foresee?   

What Fiio DAC-HPamp was that?  My S3 worked with everything that didn't require anything beyond stock audio drivers (ie like DACs that Windows would require installing additional drivers for) or didn't totally depend on the phone to power it (actually, some have reported that the stand-alone, battery-less ODAC works). The problem might be either of those, and might still be a problem for the Windows tablet.

I even used mine with a dock, and works with every music player app on it (including Samsung's stock player, but I use NeutronMP and MediaMonkey; no need to unlock audio features with any software).

Aside from either of the aforementioned possible issues about compatibility with your Fiio (like, if it's the E10, as it might have a current draw that at minimum can only be had from a laptop for example), well, compared to the S3 (and ditto Apple products), you won't be able to manage interconnect cables behind the components using a sync dock/cradle (a relatively minor issue though).

Dec 30, 2014 at 1:03 PM Post #5 of 5
IIRC it was a Fiio E17 original. Could possibly have been a problem with the OTG cable. The phone didn't work at all. The tablet I had at the time was in a combined case/keyboard dock and kind of worked - could hear the music a bit but mostly interference/ electric whine. assumed it was due to plugging into the usb outlet on the dock and to much noise being introduced but it could have been the cable as well. Regardless currently for phone or tablet I have been using the internal DAC on my phone + tablet (different android tablet and no dock) using the headphone line out into a rca "Y" adapter and running that into my tube amp. However my tablet and phone can't browse my NAS like my new windows tablet can and I have a Geek Pulse coming as well. If all works well I may even consider a Schiit Fulla or another Fiio for portable use.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back