Tablet audio
Jun 19, 2014 at 2:40 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 14

BGRoberts

100+ Head-Fier
Due to extreme illness, I am currently in a hospital bed, with no access to my beloved stereo gear. However, all is not bleak. While I CANNOT OPERATE A LAPTOP COMPUTER, I have and can use an original Kindle Fire. With a couple hundred albums on Amazon Cloudplayer, and a few decent pair of headphones/iems, I can still listen to some tunes which really helps lift my spirits during this long recovery process.

What are some ways I might expand/improve my listening?

BG

Jun 20, 2014 at 6:25 AM Post #2 of 14
First off, get well soon.

I would consider trying some streaming audio apps that would allow you to sample various online radio stations. TuneIn is a good app available through the Amazon Appstore.

There are other apps available as well. Try them out. I would hope you'd be able to find a few that would work for you.

Sent from my Verizon LG G2 using Tapatalk

Jun 20, 2014 at 6:38 PM Post #3 of 14
See if Kindle Fire can support USB audio out. If so, you could get a DAC/headphone amp to improve the sound. Even without that, could be that a headphone amp would help depending on how hard to drive your headphones/IEMs are.

Jun 20, 2014 at 9:11 PM Post #4 of 14
That sounds like fun.
I'll give TuneIn a try.
Any stations you'd recommend?
I have pietty eclactic tastes...classical to classic rock...jazz...blues....Celtic...country...
To name a few

Jun 20, 2014 at 10:02 PM Post #6 of 14
My favorite internet radio station is Radio Paradise. I remember back in the day when I first got high speed internet I went looking for an internet radio station. I found Shoutcast and searched the term "eclectic." Radio Paradise was the first station on the list. I don't listen to any other internet radio stations now.

Jun 21, 2014 at 5:56 AM Post #7 of 14
There's a good Spotify app for Kindle Fire. I use it on my Fire HDX. There are also various equalizer apps you can use to try to improve the sound out of the headphone jack to your headphone/iem. Just go to the app store.

You can also listen to LOTS of stuff via YouTube. Probably you already knew that.

I'm confined to a recliner or the couch while I recover from surgery and have found that my Kindle is much easier to deal with than my laptop. So I know a little of what you're going through. Get well soon! :)

Jun 22, 2014 at 7:44 PM Post #10 of 14
Thanks
Yes the tablet is easier for me right now by far.
Do you like the hdx?

Oh yes, I like it very much. I upgraded from the HD. It's lighter, has a better screen, is faster, and the software is more refined. I didn't have a problem with the HD and I questioned the need to upgrade, but after a couple of days with the HDX I realized it was the right choice. Unless money's super-tight, skip the HD and go straight for the HDX.

Jul 1, 2014 at 10:45 PM Post #12 of 14
I've been listening to some Amazon Prime music. I have been a Prime member for some time, so this did not cost me any extra. I've probably added 50 or more albums to my online library which I have then downloaded to my tablet. So far I'm liking it very much.

Jul 2, 2014 at 2:35 PM Post #13 of 14
Sounds like an excellent deal for you.

I gave up Amazon Prime when they announced their price hike. I already have Netflix and Hulu Plus so I don't need streaming video. And I was spending too much anyway.

If I need new music, I see if the local library system has anything good. It has helped me greatly expand my collection.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back