table tennis - how do you play?
Sep 23, 2008 at 1:14 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 46

shigzeo

The Hiss King
what bat do you use? what rubber? do you use black for fore or backhand?

i have used many bats in my 2-year history in the sport but my favourite (and the cheapest one i have owned) is the yasaka gatien extra s.

it is small and light and an excellent close to the table attack blade. however, i find it still to be powerful enough for counter loops and active defense.

i tend to like black on my backhand but lately, i have gone for it on forehand.

currently:

andro impulse speed on the fore (black) and tsp bjorn on the back

other bats that i have:
andro carbo offensive +
stiga optimum plus

i prefer wooden bats to carbon, titanium or aluminium channel bats for control as i am not an all out speed player; i tend to play aggresive all-round style so good angles and a decent chop/defense game make it good.

that said: no matter how much practice, i have never done better than 2 wins out of 5 tournaments!
icon10.gif

Sep 23, 2008 at 2:07 AM Post #2 of 46
I use either Juic Nebula blades or Juic Kalinics. For rubber, I use Juic 999 Elite, red 2.0 backhand, and Juic 999 Attack black 1.5 on the forehand. My backhand is my better stroke by far. I also play fairly close to the table with an offensive style. It's a great sport!

Sep 23, 2008 at 2:25 AM Post #3 of 46
Umm...I hold it in my right hand and swing it at the round white thingy...

I suppose this explains why I don't win that often!

Sep 23, 2008 at 2:39 AM Post #4 of 46
i know heaps of people who use some sort of 999: great spin and a nice soft rubber for cheap.

i was all over the DHS hurricane series for a while until i found out that i like to play a bit of a longer game that is not too close to the table. on my trip to japan, i found the entire population play a similar style, even if the are choppers.

it is funny. hopefully i will be going to club this week as i have not played in over 2 months and i feel not only out of practice but sorely lacking in social graces

Sep 23, 2008 at 2:51 AM Post #5 of 46
I currently use he Butterfly Michael Maze blade and Sriver EL on both sides. Even though the rubber is the same, I always default to red on the forehand out of habit.

Sep 23, 2008 at 8:01 AM Post #7 of 46
Quote:

Originally Posted by MetalGeek /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Umm...I hold it in my right hand and swing it at the round white thingy...

I suppose this explains why I don't win that often!

Same here!
wink.gif

Just hold the bat in the right hand and swing at the white ball as best as I can.

Sep 23, 2008 at 1:22 PM Post #8 of 46
okay, time for a tutorial: don't swing at the white ball: you will get no control. you have to swing through the ball to get control or swing and barely touch the ball for top spin (upward sweeping motion) or bottom spin (chop - downward sweeping motion).

now, we should all be ready for a tournament

Sep 23, 2008 at 4:51 PM Post #9 of 46
I have a custom paddle from Paddle Palace. If I remember correctly it is spin + and speed +. My play style includes a lot of back wrist shots. I am definitely stronger with my backhand but my forehand has some power.

Sep 23, 2008 at 6:47 PM Post #10 of 46
Stiga Club Performance here

Wish I was able to play more often these days.
frown.gif

Sep 24, 2008 at 12:54 AM Post #12 of 46
Quote:

Originally Posted by shigzeo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
stiga club performance? what is that? i keep up well with new products but... is that a premade bat or is it an assembled bat?

Shig, I bought it used locally off of Craigslist, but I'm fairly certain it's a factory pre-made racket.

Sep 24, 2008 at 1:22 AM Post #13 of 46
okay cool. i have used a few in my time but not heard of that one. if any of you need a nicer one! haha, i have collected sports stuff since before i was born. i just happen to be more into bicycling for rehab reasons that started with badminton and running.

anyway, are you club players or just for fun? any tourneys? do you have ranking in usa or norway?

Sep 24, 2008 at 2:51 AM Post #15 of 46
I played in the college national championships twice. I really miss my local club from college. I used to play 2-3 times a week. I rarely get to play anymore.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back