Table Radio(s)
Mar 5, 2004 at 3:01 AM Post #17 of 21
Best Buy sells the Recepter, but only in Grey. I prefer a lighter color and bought a white one at another store in town. I think Crutchfield also sells the radio and in all 3 colors.

As another example of superb ergonomics, there are two off/on buttons. One on the face plate and one on the top of the radio.

The Cambridge also has good controls, but there are too many buttons on the front of the radio and although you have a neat small remote, it is too easy to push the wrong button.

Mar 5, 2004 at 9:44 AM Post #18 of 21
So I have more question. How does "Mono Speaker" actually sound? Boston Receptor and Henry Kloss Model One both use mono spaker. Hence they are still highly praised. I assume that their mono speakers don't sound "mono"? Maybe the different about "mono" and "stereo" image is not as important as the sound quality? If so I may try Boston Receptor.

BTW, what kind of the antenna does the receptor have and how easy to use the flip control panel on the top? Does the LED display bother you in the night?

Mar 5, 2004 at 3:05 PM Post #19 of 21
You asked how to characterize the mono sound on the Boston and Tivoli. They both sound very natural and full. The Boston Recepter definitely has more bass than the Tivoli Model One. If you use the auxilary jacks on these radios and connect a CD player to listen to your own music, you might miss the stereo effect.

I don't really miss the stereo. Part of it is that I listen more to talk and news shows than music. Also, the stereo effect on the Cambridge 730 radio (even at the "wide" setting) is minimal. Remember, the speakers are a little more than a foot apart from each other.

The antennas that are supplied with the Boston are all that I need. There is an internal AM antenna. I can't remember about the FM antenna (it could be the line cord). I've never tried any other.

The LED display has two brightness settings. At the lowest, it is not distracting at night. I don't use the flip top control much. That is only to change the alarm times and station pre-sets.

Mar 7, 2004 at 4:19 AM Post #21 of 21
Great review! I have the CSW model 88 and absolutely love it. It is hard to imagine better bass in a table radio given its powered built-in subwoofer. As much as I love the sound and ease of use, the lack of stereo separation disturbs me, but hey, its just a radio. BTW, don't bother with the headphone jack it is terrible.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back