Table Radio(s)
Feb 29, 2004 at 7:01 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 21

NEO

500+ Head-Fier
ResizeofDSC01087.JPG

Feb 29, 2004 at 7:11 AM Post #2 of 21
Let me know if the pic doesn't show up. On the left is the discontinued Henry Kloss Model 88 and on the right is the new Model 730
smily_headphones1.gif

PS..anyone knows what's wrong with imagestation? Seems to have a lot of problems posting the pics on my gallery there
frown.gif

Feb 29, 2004 at 5:32 PM Post #5 of 21
Quote:

Originally posted by NEO
Let me know if the pic doesn't show up. On the left is the discontinued Henry Kloss Model 88 and on the right is the new Model 730
smily_headphones1.gif

NEO:
I'm very interested in the Cambridge Soundworks 730 and 740. What is your opinion of these radios?

Mar 1, 2004 at 2:54 AM Post #6 of 21
Quote:

Originally posted by dead of night
NEO:
I'm very interested in the Cambridge Soundworks 730 and 740. What is your opinion of these radios?

Yeah, me too! I had the Model 88 for a time and found it had great bass (or midbass) for its size but was slightly on the bright side. Would like to know whether the sound has changed and in what direction.

Mar 3, 2004 at 10:12 AM Post #8 of 21
The reception is pretty much the same between two units. I only use the supplied wire antenna so can't expect much anyway. Both radio have ok but not outstanding reception.

The sound of Model 88 seems more fun to listen to on some station or some type of music. The background noise seems quite than Model 730. However, Model 730 has slightly better stereo image. The bass on Model 88 does not blend into the sound like Model 730. This makes Model 88 sounds pretty much the same way as their computer speakers with subwoofer (I mean the good one). The difference is that Model 88 has seperate bass adjusstment on the back and no treble adjustment. Model 730 has bass and treble adjustment included in the remote function and they are elctronic asjustment, not the manual like the one in Model 88. Model 730 also has loudness on/off which I suppose is the subwoofer bypass circuit. The bass on Model 730 does blend into the music more and the ability to adjust the trable is the add on which Model 88 lacks. But like I said, Model 88 can be more fun sometimes.

What Model 88 can't match Model 730 in my opinion is the design and user interface. Model 88 was influenced by Bose Wave so it does lack behind in appearance (i still think it looks good though). Model730 looks much better including two lines display and the panel design. Cambridge Soundworks seems to finally get it right.
Model 730 also has dual alarm functions. You can set the different station and volume level for each alarm. The number of preset stations for Model 730 is 16 and model 88 is just 6. Model 730 also had RDS function so when I listen to some station in Miami, there will be the scrolling text of the song's name. I like this function a lot.

Model 88 has RCA inputs which I prefer to the mini jack input on Model 730. Seems to be a downgrade somewhat but I could be wrong. Anyway, Model 730 has inputs at front and back side while Model 88 RCAs locate on the back only. For some unknown reason. Model 730 is noticeably heavier.

For those who looks for an upgrade, I recommend considering Model 740 which can also plays MP3 as well. Cambridge Soundworks made a nice decision to add this feature on their $300 table radio.

I am sending Model 730 to my mom and keep Model 88 for myself. Both are very good table radio but Model 730 is better overall
smily_headphones1.gif

NEO

Mar 4, 2004 at 5:42 AM Post #9 of 21
I have the Cambridge Soundworks 730 radio. I also have the Tivoli Audio Model 1 radio designed by Henry Kloss and the Boston Acoustics Recepter radio.

Of the three, I like the sound and controls of the Boston radio the best. The Soundworks is the only one of the 3 radios that is stereo and has a separate powered subwoofer. At times, the bass is too powerful and it causes the plastic case to rattle. In fact, my first model 730 had to be returned to the factory because of rattling. The replacement is marginally better with respect to rattling.

Here are my personal opinions on the three radios:

Boston Recepter: small size (perfect for a night stand), great mono sound, no headphone jack or remote, very logical and convenient controls, two alarms

Tivoli Audio Model 1: wooden case (no rattles), sound is good, on /off and volume switch is difficult to turn, only one of the 3 with analog tuning (but very convenient tuning indicator), no alarms, rear auxilary jack.

Cambridge Soundworks 730: stereo, headphone jack, remote control, great bass (but often so much that the case rattles), RSD display, two alarms, variable level loudness countouring control, front and rear auxilary jacks.

Mar 4, 2004 at 9:41 AM Post #10 of 21
Quote:

Originally posted by dxy56
I have the Cambridge Soundworks 730 radio. I also have the Tivoli Audio Model 1 radio designed by Henry Kloss and the Boston Acoustics Recepter radio.

Of the three, I like the sound and controls of the Boston radio the best. The Soundworks is the only one of the 3 radios that is stereo and has a separate powered subwoofer. At times, the bass is too powerful and it causes the plastic case to rattle. In fact, my first model 730 had to be returned to the factory because of rattling. The replacement is marginally better with respect to rattling.

Can you describe why you like the sound of Boston the best? And how is the size and weight difference between Boston Receptor and Cambridge Model 730. I decided to get Model 730 for my mom instead of Boston Receptor since both are the same price (I got the refurbished unit). For Model 730, I got stereo sound and remote. If Boston Receptor has better receeption and sound (even mono) and is significantly smaller, maybe it is more suitable for my mom.

The case of Model 730 does rattle from heavy bass. I think it is unavoidable but should be able to fixed by adjust the bass down. Model 88 doesn't seem to have this problem unless I adjust the bass to the maximum.

NEO

Mar 4, 2004 at 10:14 AM Post #11 of 21
Thanks guys for the reviews. NEO, do you mean the background hiss with no music player is louder in the 730 than in the 88? That was one of the reasons I returned the 88! I found the inherent hiss clearly audible within the confines of the small room I planned to use it in.

dxy56, I'd like to know why you prefer the Boston as well. Cute radio, that one.

Thanks for the AA reference, dead.

Mar 4, 2004 at 11:47 AM Post #12 of 21
James,
What I meant is there seems to be some background noise while I listen to the radio, like the kind of noise you heard when the station has not been tuned in properly. It could be just the antenna and location of the unit though.

So which one did you get after returning Model 88? Do you know where can I download the the user manual? And why can't I set the station from the remote? I meant when I want to memorize the station, I can't do it with remote but have to do it on the control panel of the unit.

NEO

PS..anyone knows if any of these unit is magnetically shield?

Mar 4, 2004 at 1:43 PM Post #13 of 21
The Boston radio seems much more sensitive on AM than either the Tivoli Model One or the Cambridge Soundworks 730. I like to listen to Detroit AM sports stations (I live in Central Ohio) and can only do so with the Boston. The ergonomics of the controls on both the Soundworks and the Boston are better than the Tivoli which has a "retro" look to it. One unique feature of the Boston is that you have 20 pre-sets that can be set and tuned with only one knob. With the Soundworks, you also have pre-sets, but you have to first push another button to select AM or FM mode.

The Boston sound is balanced, not boomy like the Soundworks, but of course, it can't play as loudly, and it is not stereo. Only the Soundworks radio has the bass rattle (which can be minimized by decreasing the amount of bass boost). None of the radios seem to reproduce treble as well as a small mini-stereo system. The Soundworks radio also seems to be very sensitive to antenna placement (lots of static), whereas the other two less so.

As I said before, the size of the Soundworks radio would tend to dominate any nightstand. The Boston radio is a tad bit smaller than the Tivoli and a whole lot smaller than the Soundworks.

The Tivoli is $99, the Boston about $160, and the Soundworks almost double the Boston. Pricewise, I think the Boston is an excellent value.

Mar 4, 2004 at 1:45 PM Post #14 of 21
Concerning the Cambridge model 88.

I think I saw some new units at Sam's Club here in Columbus OH around Xmas, but haven't seen them lately. I don't remember how much they were selling for, but they did seem very well made. Unfortunately, the radios were not plugged in so I couldn't listen to them.

Mar 4, 2004 at 4:02 PM Post #15 of 21
I just recently purchased the Boston Acoustics Recepter to upgrade the alarm clock in my bedroom.

As mentioned above it has a very small footprint, ideal for a nightstand. It is built like a tank. There is a port in the back which is a testament to the fullness of the bottom end of the frequency spectrum. It has all of the basic clock features, you can wake up to alarm, music, or both. It also has variable snooze settings so you can adjust your laziness on the fly! The reception is excellent, it is virtually impossible for me to get reception inside with any other device I have tried, but the recepter pulls it off with no problems.

I paid 135$ shipped for a new one on ebay and I must say I have been very happy with it thus far.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back