Table, Arm & Cartridge recommendation needed
Jul 28, 2008 at 9:06 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 3

Know Talent

100+ Head-Fier
I'm going to try viynl for myself this fall and want to keep the damage in the $3000 region...

What would you recommend for a decent mid-level table, arm and MM cartridge combination?

I've been eyeing the ClearAudio Emotion package with a Virtuoso Wood cartridge.
I'd prefer something with a dustcover...
and where to buy?

Jul 29, 2008 at 12:40 PM Post #2 of 3
You should be able to do very well for $3,000, and you should take into consideration that you are going to need content.

I suggest that you consider a used deck. Last year I bought a used Rega P7 ($2,695 new) with a Benz Micro Glider MC cart ($1,200 new) for less than $1,800. I just bought a used Sota Star Sapphire vacuum platter turntable ($3,500 new) and a vintage SME 3009 tonearm (about $550) for the same money.

I cannot comment on the Sota yet because I am waiting to take delivery, but I can say that they are very highly regarded here. The Regas are not so well regarded but after owning one for a year I don't understand why. My P7 turntable, RB700 tonearm, and Benz cart made some wonderous music and I got a lot of hours of listening pleasure out of that setup. I only bought the Sota because I wanted one when I first started shopping for a vinyl rig but couldn't find one at a good price, and the opportunity to get the Rega came along and I took it...with no regrets. But recently I had a chance to get the Sota and jumped at it. Hopefully I will like it as least as much as the Rega.

Just remember that you will need a deck, a tonearm, a cartridge, and a phono preamp. Most knowledgable people here will suggest you spend most of your budget on the deck and tonearm and relatively less on the cart and phono preamp, and I think that's pretty good advice. I've done very well on Audiogon by sticking to established sellers.

--Jerome

Jul 29, 2008 at 6:21 PM Post #3 of 3
I'd recommend trying to demo a VPI deck as well. A new Scout is $1800 I beleive, but if your comfortable buying used (or demo units) then they can be had for much less. With the dollar in the dregs like it is nowadays, the VPI is a good deal since it is built in New Jersey. I love my Scout and highly recommend it. I find that unipivot tonearms are quite 'musical' as opposed to 'analytical' to my ears, which was a deciding factor after demoing a whole bunch of tables before buying the Scout.

Good luck with the search, and see if you can demo some tables. It is worth the effort.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back