T90's not bright enough? Here's what you do... (German Maestro GMP400)
Feb 4, 2019 at 5:16 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 2

Head-Fier
So I have had the pleasure of loaning a pair of German Maestro GMP400's for a few months now. I have had a bit of ambivalence regarding their sound.

I remember my first impressions being that they were very light in the bass area, and quite bright.

I used them on and off a few times, eventually deciding that they were to be returned. (I had the option of purchasing them at whichever point in time I liked.)

Fast forward a few months, and a pair of T90's arrived. They are, among other things, known for their level of detail and their brightness.

I have had a pair of T90's before, and I regretted selling them, so it's now you ask: "Why are you selling your new pair of T90's then?"

The answer is "GMP400".

Listening to them again, I find that the T90's sound is muffled and too dark (WHAT?!) compared to the GMP400's.

I have tried the GMP400's on my X1s and my Little Dot MKII, and my personal opinion is that tubes give them just that little bit extra that really makes them shine. On a SS amp and with the stock pads, the first word that comes to my mind regarding the sound is "analytical" - but don't take my word for them being analytical - it's my personal opinion.

I have replaced the velour pads on them with Brainwavz sheepskin pads, and removed the relatively thick foam disks in front of the driver to make up for the leather pads.

It has, to my ears, not removed any of the clarity, brightness or details, but just added a touch more bass - just a touch.

I hope that my impressions about the GMP400 can be of help to someone trying to decide, if these headphones are the right ones for them.

Feb 5, 2019 at 2:11 PM Post #2 of 2
Interesting! I own both Headphones. The T 90 since December 2015 and the GMP 400 since December 2016, which is funny, while the T 90 is a class higher, but I was in Christmas mood and like the little Company located near Heidelberg, they have a good sense for customer and repair service.

I own Loudpspeakers from MB Quart since years, exactly since 1994. And the QP 95 an ancestor from the GMP 400. You should hear them old one, then you hear a really bass light Headphone. But the GMP 400 is in Bass just Right for me.

For the comparison between T 90 and GMP 400 in a few days more, I have to less, time to write further. I compared the GMP 400 short with the AKG K 601, too.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back