T1.2 earpads on DT 770 / MMX 600 Ohm
Feb 6, 2016 at 7:14 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 2

ev13wt

1000+ Head-Fier
After 15 washings and around 4000 hours of use (3 years @ 4 hours per day average music and gaming) my earpads where toast. They smelled even after washing and had broken down to about half thickness. Soundstage had suffered and bass, as we all know the 770 to be, had increased even more.

So at my favorite shop I ordered new ones (velours). I spend 3 hours there and listened to pretty much all of the Beyerdznamic full sized headphones. I figured out that Beyer tunes their headphones by a huge marging with the earpads. So I bought some T1.2 earpads as well.

Arrived 2 days later and I went home to experiment. Put on the originals had had a go with electronic, metal, DSOTM and Melody Gardot as well as some jazz. Same old sound, slightly bigger soundstage and good old bass making my head vibrate.

Put on the T1.2 pads and didn't expect too much. Some songs and first impression was: Where is the bass? This sounds too bright? But wow, what a "huge" soundstage! Problem was I could now hear the tv clearly where my gf was watching some dumb crap. So isolation was gone. But it sounded so airy and open, pretty much open headphones if you will.

Proceeded to press the cups closer to my head and had a bit more bass and less treble. So I took the earspads off, washed them and proceeded with speed break-in. This is basically putting them in a towel and standing on them. After 5 minutes of "treading water" and let them dry out.

Now, I have a great soundstage, basically open headphones, closeness to the voices and a (too me) perfect in between of bass of a standard 770 and an 880.

tldr; Now sounds like semi open headphones with a bit less bass and a whole lot more of airyness and soundstage. Cons: No isolation.

Feb 6, 2016 at 7:20 PM Post #2 of 2
Now off to cut up the old ones and see what I can do with the parts. Want to place the small holed inner parts (what touched the felt over the drivers) between the headphones and the T1.2 pads.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back