T-PEOS H-200 - new triple hybrid IEM - Impressions thread
May 19, 2013 at 1:27 PM Post #633 of 2,595
I had the pleasure earlier today of listening to the H-200 and thought I'd share some of my thoughts. I shared this earlier with some lads on PM, and I've adapted it for the main forum thread. That said, I think I'm told that I hear it all differently from some of you, or majority of you, so here goes 
wink.gif

This review is done with firstly, a portable source being my Note 2 and paired with the Tralucent T1 amp. I didn't want to drag my home rig out for this. Also, this comparison is done with reference to the IE8s and the 1Plus2 mainly; and obviously note the price differential. 

So off the bat, my impressions are as such: the H-200 has a more neutral, more balanced and smooth sound (in comparison to the 1Plus2) and it's bass presence is very much in the region of the stock silver 1Plus2. But in every other sense, the H-200s are very much more laid back, and to some extent, very "polite" sounding. I'd actually say, it is almost as "chilled out" an IEM as I've ever heard (not that I've heard uber amounts of IEMs, but I'd say, in my experience, it's something I'd call chilled). 

I used two different tips with the H-200s. The stock tips and JVC tips. I tried it off with the stock tips first, and spent the most time listening in that arrangement, and getting acquainted with the sound etc and then figuring out how it differs. First things first, this is not like the 1Plus2 in terms of sound signature at all. This is a hybrid yes, but it is not a hybrid like the 1Plus2. The latter IEM is much more "aggressive" in its signature. The H-200s on the other hand, are polite like I mentioned earlier. 

So what exactly are the differences? For starters, the H-200 has a lot of bass presence, especially with the stock. I listened to it first without having read much about the H-200s other than the fact they are hybrids and at a very affordable price i.e. I believe I went into it with (more of) an open mind. I was then able to try the H-200s with JVC tips (not sure which). They reduced the bass "bloat/presence", but not as much if I EQ-ed them down. I'd say the bass has presence, doesn't colour the mids as much as the IE8s do, but in terms of quantity, it really is like the IE8s (with the tape mod) in my very honest opinion. 

The H-200 is a hybrid, but I wouldn't say they have the BA in your face "clarity and transparency" right there (but it is clean). I'm of the opinion that the bass doesn't exactly colour it, but masks it just by its presence alone. It is difficult in that sense to make a decision between saying, the H-200 is able to have oomphs of detail, or just that it doesn't image it out as well. 

My next test sort of, I'm just running things off my head right now, and from what I wrote down, was based on 3D imaging. My go to track for this is TobyMac's "Me Without You" and mainly, the introduction of the track. The 1Plus2 portrays a more 3D presentation, and whilst the H-200 and IE8s for example, are able to do a similar near field left right far left and right etc, it can't quite make one feel as if the music is coherently going left to right in one line. Let me put it this way, think of a line, the 1Plus2 draws it out in a straight line, the H-200 and IE8 however, don't draw as straight a line and parts of it are in "blocks", sort of like: _ _ _ _ not as patchy, but hopefully you get my drift. The 1Plus2 also has a better sense of depth without losing the "strength" of the sound. Now if I wasn't looking out for this though, it wouldn't be as readily apparent. And by this I mean that the difference may not be as obvious to someone who either doesn't look for it, or who just cannot be bothered with that aspect of the sound. For me, it makes a difference. 

Back quickly to the bass, when I say bloat/presence, try the H-200 (for the people that own it) with Brian Culbertson's track, "Waiting For You", and then let me know how much "bass" comes out. Trust me when I tell you that there's loads of it. So much so that the bass seems a constant emphasis in the whole song. Now whilst it can be argued that what he does is heavily influenced by funk and is meant to be bassy, with the 1Plus2, in my opinion, the decay is so much less, so little lingering, and everything is tightened up, and therefore, more likely to be what the producer meant to present. This is pure speculation, but I think more likely to be the case. However, when you get a chance to listen to IEMs which have very very good control of the bass, I think there is a higher chance of you understanding where I'm coming from on this. That leads me to another point, decay. The H-200 is, in comparison to the 1Plus2, slower.

Then I thought about looking at instrument presentation, both imaging and "accuracy". Track reference is Liquid Tension Experiment's "Acid Rain". The 1Plus2 in my opinion, does this better. More accurate sounding, and also, better separation. Again, this may be more of a minute detail unless one looks out for it.

Next, vocals. For me, the track I used amongst several, was ZZ Ward's "Move It Like You Stole It". Smooth is the one thing I'll say. So smooth on the H-200 that it almost feels like it lacks a little "texturing" and "emphasis" on vocals. Might all be down to preference but because I haven't exactly heard the performers live, it is hard to say which is more accurate. However, the 1Plus2 adds more "raspiness" when I think, the singer's voice has it. Tonality is also more apparent, but the H-200 is very decent in my opinion.

Finally, Pendulum as usual, track: "The Island Part I (Dawn)". This is where it is very very obvious that the details are lost in the bass (in my opinion). The 1Plus2 puts some of the details in the music far better than the H-200s. It's a bit like the IE8s. You know the detail is there, but you really have to look out for it to hear it. With the 1Plus2, it's there, it's apparent and there is no missing it, no need to look out for it, so in that sense, the 1Plus2 is pretty much effortless.

So where does all this place the H-200s? It's up to one to think about really. I can't say I believe the 1Plus2 is a 1,000 USD better IEM because everyone places a value on things differently. Are the H-200s competent IEMs? Definitely. Are they in the same ballpark as the 1Plus2? Definitely not. Are the 1Plus2s several steps up? Yes, just like they were several steps up from my IE8s. 

But having said all that, would the H-200s been something I would be happy with? Sure. But not after having owned the 1Plus2s. The H-200s would definitely be a downgrade. But that is to be expected with the difference in price (generalities established), and is by no means a slight on the H-200s nor should it be.

But let me quickly then address bass bloat/presence again. If one doesn't get the bass bloat, then listen to the track I pointed out above, and also have a listen to the IE8s, then get something that is a pure BA driver and see the difference e.g. UE700 that I have being one example. There are many others as well. The bass has presence, but it also has slow decay, not necessarily a bad thing in my opinion, but if someone doesn't like the IE8s, then the H-200 may not be for them either. That's as far as I'd go. I'd say they are both similar somewhat in being relaxed. The IE8 being slightly warmer while the H-200 leans on being "chilled".

I'd say if I was pushed to pushed to say a few words about the H-200s, it would be "chilled, balanced (with bass presence) and smooth".

I hope that makes sense, but I'm guessing from the people I've already shared it with, I might meet some disagreements!  

May 19, 2013 at 1:44 PM Post #634 of 2,595
^ I commend your efforts, I honestly do. But, it's no surprise that the H-200 doesn't perform as well as an in-ear $1,000+ above its own cost. If the opposite were true, then that'd be the real surprise. Point being, the H-200 was never priced to compete with the 1plus2 in the first place, so I don't see why one would even imagine for it to come anywhere close.

In any case, you certainty took the time and effort to compare and contrast them, and that certainly deserves merit. :)

May 19, 2013 at 2:24 PM Post #635 of 2,595
Quote:
^ I commend your efforts, I honestly do. But, it's no surprise that the H-200 doesn't perform as well as an in-ear $1,000+ above its own cost. If the opposite were true, then that'd be the real surprise. Point being, the H-200 was never priced to compete with the 1plus2 in the first place, so I don't see why one would even imagine for it to come anywhere close.

In any case, you certainty took the time and effort to compare and contrast them, and that certainly deserves merit.
smily_headphones1.gif

You are right that they were never meant to beat something $1,000 above their price point, but that being said, I really don't think it is $1,000 more in terms of price. Like I said in my comparison, it really is about how much one values the differences they experience. 

I've also shared with the person I demo-ed the unit from that to capitalise on something more "hi-end", one likely still has to spend on a better DAP, a better cable etc etc and then the price one pays just to experience better quality sound becomes crazy. I always say, as a yardstick, that the 200 - 250 USD mark is where the law of diminishing returns kicks in pretty quick and then it boils down to sound signature differences. This is a generalisation obviously. 

I don't like to go around telling others, get this, get that. I'd rather say how I hear it, give experience in reference to other earphones and let others judge or make a decision themselves because ultimately it isn't my decision to make for someone else. Would I recommend the H-200? Yes. Would I recommend the 1Plus2? Yes. But who I recommend them to depends entirely on other factors, and I don't think that is something I intend to get into here. 

I also don't intend to quantify how much more the 1Plus2 is worth over the H-200 other than to say I think the $1,000 more is a rather steep entry to get the difference. What I may feel is worth a $500 difference, may to another feel like a $100 difference. It all boils down to various factors e.g. how much one is willing to spend, how much one values sound quality over the price point etc etc. 

I always say this. We all hear things differently and on top of that, we also have different music preferences. What is most important in my opinion, is that we like what we hear i.e. we enjoy the earphones we have (no matter the price point).

May 19, 2013 at 3:08 PM Post #636 of 2,595
Really well said, couldn`t have put it better. The W4 is my top dog regardless of price. I like what it does for me. If it doesn`t do it for you then that`s not my problem.
That doesn`t mean I will stop trying out iem`s, far from it. I think I will be parting with the the H-200 to fund my next experiment and the hobby continues.....

May 19, 2013 at 6:43 PM Post #637 of 2,595
Cravenz, interesting opinion, i partly share some of your findings but i find 1plus2 and H200 being entirely different and source dependent. Put 1plus2 on AK100 or RWAK and there is no way back... And then take H200 and pair them with C3 and BH and your head will be shaking in desbelief because H200 is so much about fun. I agree 1plus2 easily beats H200 in PRAT, dynamics, 3D stage, imaging, you name all them... But if you ask me i tell you there is some magic about H200 which makes them a big keeper for me and i can happily live with both. Really no joke i find them entirely different amd not so comparale. Let me give one example, listen to English speaker PMC 7 and compare this to Sonus Faber Cremina M, and you will understand me, they are both very capable but soooooo different so i would not care to compare them one to one. SF beats PMC in many aspects but there are some things on PMC which are so damn good that they make you scratch your head twice.

May 19, 2013 at 10:26 PM Post #639 of 2,595
Quote:
My opinion: go for the H-200's. Easy.
Coming from someone who owns both, I see that the H-200's have it over the TF-10s in most aspect, such as clarity and detailing. The TF-10's do have more bass quantity as opposed to the H-200's, but personally, i reckon the quality of the bass of the H-200's is superior.

To me quality>quantity.

Quote:
Yeah pretty much, my TF10 are now gathering dust.

Quote:

The Headfi $200 price for the H200's was supposed to be over this weekend. It's probably too late already although you could ask. The price was increasing to $250 from here on out.

Sorry to say ;(

Quote:
The $200 offer should last until tonight, no? I was told the price increase would be reflective as of Monday. Best to simply ask them, of course.

Thanks guys! You've all been a great help. I made a decision and finally jumped in!
Got a confirmation that today is apparently the last day for the pre-sale.
So for those who are still on the fence... you have a few more hours to get on board. 
beerchug.gif

May 19, 2013 at 10:32 PM Post #640 of 2,595
Nice review, Cravenz.
I also have Earsonics SM3 (Which is a bit bloater than the IE8) and RockitSounds R-50 (Bit more analytical than the UE700) also UE900 which is almost in the middle of these two. From what I've read so far, I'd place the H-200 between SM3 and UE900 in term of sound signature.
Still waiting for my H-200 to come, then I'll do a comparison though.

May 20, 2013 at 12:48 AM Post #641 of 2,595
Thanks for the review, cravenz.  In regards to the sound you described: "polite".. "chilled".. lacking absolute detail.. "slightly bloated, IE8-like midbass boost," etc.. that sounds very much like how my H-200 sounded for the first thirty to fifty hours, or so.. if you're using a new pair, I recommend letting them play in a bit.. I wouldn't be surprised if they sounded more open and dynamic after some time.  The bass on my pair tightened up nicely.. revealing a much more clear midrange and a more articulate, less rolled off treble response.  With that "politeness" gone, I found imaging to make a noticeable improvement, as well.

May 20, 2013 at 7:26 AM Post #642 of 2,595
Quote:
Nice review, Cravenz.
I also have Earsonics SM3 (Which is a bit bloater than the IE8) and RockitSounds R-50 (Bit more analytical than the UE700) also UE900 which is almost in the middle of these two. From what I've read so far, I'd place the H-200 between SM3 and UE900 in term of sound signature.
Still waiting for my H-200 to come, then I'll do a comparison though.

Thanks. Interesting on the SM3. I was always under the impression they were far more clinical than the IE8s. 

Let me know your thoughts on it though. Would be good. 

Thanks for the review, cravenz.  In regards to the sound you described: "polite".. "chilled".. lacking absolute detail.. "slightly bloated, IE8-like midbass boost," etc.. that sounds very much like how my H-200 sounded for the first thirty to fifty hours, or so.. if you're using a new pair, I recommend letting them play in a bit.. I wouldn't be surprised if they sounded more open and dynamic after some time.  The bass on my pair tightened up nicely.. revealing a much more clear midrange and a more articulate, less rolled off treble response.  With that "politeness" gone, I found imaging to make a noticeable improvement, as well.

I'm not sure if the pair was new as it was another head-fier's pair. I'll have to confirm, but I don't believe they were brand spanking new. I do feel the bass is tighter with more control than the IE8s, but still had oodles to spare. I may have a listen to them again sometime down the road hopefully, and if I do, I'll try and revert on this later. What I will say though, is that at least someone knows what I'm talking about! Haha...I thought I was the only one hearing things that way.

That all said, the H-200 is articulate, but the details are masked behind the bass. They are there, just not as pronounced on something like the 1Plus2, and there is nothing wrong with that, because it is an expensive IEM and should in theory, be performing better.

It was a very enjoyable listen nonetheless :)

May 20, 2013 at 7:52 AM Post #643 of 2,595

agree, not expecting mircale to happen but some burn in is required to make H200 sound as they intend or must sound. bloated bass... huh... That perhaps a bit untrue because bloated bass means poorly controlled splashed and muffed... None of these can be found on H200... I can call bass on H200 a bit too woofy, a bit too heavy earthed and lacking some finer details and tightness but i cannot call it bloated, sorry.

Again burn in and tell us what you think about it.

May 20, 2013 at 7:58 AM Post #644 of 2,595
Quote:

Completely agree with that, I actually use a mild bass boost now (C&CBH amp + LF switch) that I couldn`t before. Great sense of air now as well.

May 20, 2013 at 8:10 AM Post #645 of 2,595
Quote:
agree, not expecting mircale to happen but some burn in is required to make H200 sound as they intend or must sound. bloated bass... huh... That perhaps a bit untrue because bloated bass means poorly controlled splashed and muffed... None of these can be found on H200... I can call bass on H200 a bit too woofy, a bit too heavy earthed and lacking some finer details and tightness but i cannot call it bloated, sorry.

Again burn in and tell us what you think about it.

I think we are splitting hairs. As we all have different ways of putting things across. I think I can understand why you are saying it may be a bit too woofy, so I may agree with that sentiment, but wouldn't exactly say that that summarises my position entirely. I do think the H-200s I tried have been burnt in at least past the 50 hour mark, but that is to be confirmed. 

Also, whilst I understand one may feel the terminology of "bloated" may draw an inference of the bass being uncontrolled, and whilst also seeing your view, and in fact agreeing somewhat, let me make it clear that by calling it "bloated" I meant it more in a sense that there is too much coming out. Controlled, yes. Textured, more than the IE8s? Yes. Muffled? No. Too much? Yes (unless you like bass). And I like bass, put it that way. 

Hope that makes it clearer. And it is good to share our views, clarify opinions etc. So I have no issue with that, just to make it clear. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back