T-PEOS H-200 - new triple hybrid IEM - Impressions thread
May 13, 2013 at 10:55 PM Post #496 of 2,595
Quote:

So you don't feel that the human brain is capable of remembering, the mid-bass on headphone x was louder than on headphone y?  Even if you note it down? 

No, I'm referring to magnitudes. Besides, even in theory, your plan would only work for a very specific set of scenarios wherein the delta of pre- and post- burn-in to the comparison phone are on opposite sides of the comparative phone's performance. What I mean by this is, for instance, before burn-in, the mid-bass was louder than the comparison phone, and afterwards, it was less (or vice versa). 

If afterwards, it's still louder than your headphone y but just to a different degree, you're basically relying on memory to say if it's decreased or increased (or if it actually changed at all)

Chances are this is what will happen -- a headphone's performance is unlikely to change so much after burn-in that it completely jumps to the other side of the comparative phone's performance, unless you're picking one so close in reproduction that impressions might be less accurate in the first place due to subjectivity. 

May 13, 2013 at 11:15 PM Post #497 of 2,595
Quote:

No, I'm referring to magnitudes. Besides, even in theory, your plan would only work for a very specific set of scenarios wherein the delta of pre- and post- burn-in to the comparison phone are on opposite sides of the comparative phone's performance. What I mean by this is, for instance, before burn-in, the mid-bass was louder than the comparison phone, and afterwards, it was less (or vice versa). 

If afterwards, it's still louder than your headphone y but just to a different degree, you're basically relying on memory to say if it's decreased or increased (or if it actually changed at all)

Chances are this is what will happen -- a headphone's performance is unlikely to change so much after burn-in that it completely jumps to the other side of the comparative phone's performance, unless you're picking one so close in reproduction that impressions might be less accurate in the first place due to subjectivity. 

Fair enough... 

May 14, 2013 at 1:43 PM Post #500 of 2,595
Just a quick pic of my new custom interconnect (Mundorf) with the H200 plugged in.

If you want to hear how the bottom end sounds, this should tell you. If you want to "bed in" the dynamic bass driver the stick this on repeat. I use a mild bass boost also.
Enjoy.
http://www.filedropper.com/azzidodabass-doomsnighttimomaasremix

May 14, 2013 at 1:57 PM Post #501 of 2,595
bro where did you order the interconnect? hows the combo with the c&c bh, nephew has a 3g touch.. so was just wondering.

also timo mass did a mad mix on that one, one of the old classics this tune! thanks for the upload :)

May 14, 2013 at 2:02 PM Post #502 of 2,595
Quote:
bro where did you order the interconnect? hows the combo with the c&c bh, nephew has a 3g touch.. so was just wondering.

also timo mass did a mad mix on that one, one of the old classics this tune! thanks for the upload :)

From this guy. He only has this version at the minute but the only difference is the plug.
 http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/MUNDORF-Silver-Gold-LOD-Neutrik-jack-for-IPOD-IPHONE-/281095066200?pt=UK_MP3_Player_Accessories_Cables_Adapters&hash=item4172925258
No problem mate, as I said before I could easily put a good sounding 10 track (for any IEM) together. Hope you liked the jazz mate also.

ED: The sound is smooth. Not saying anymore for obvious reasons.

May 14, 2013 at 2:52 PM Post #503 of 2,595
Sinth, cool looking combo, assume you enjoy the sound very much too. I spent today good amount of time with H200 and C3, and this simple combo took away my heart, such great synergy that i wonder if C3 should be marketed in bundle with H200.., Man Oh Man, i even did not care for BH such good was C3 with H200 alone :-D

May 14, 2013 at 3:15 PM Post #504 of 2,595
I am not used to prominent mids, the W4`s certainly do not do that. With that in mind these are becoming more engaging the more I listen to them. Yes I do like the sound, much more than I did when I got them, especially with fit issues. Smoothed out is probably how I guage them now, vocals "hang on" now rather than touching on harsh.

Here is where our discussion gets interesting (ok maybe boring for most)

You say no amp and straight out of source (C3)
I say amp required and poor out of Ipod touch. Personally I think these could scale really really well. You have the C&C BH amp, you know what the LF switch does. High gain + switch = happiness for me.
I am not sure how loud you listen to music, on an apple source I am over 3 quarters volume with my W4 which are very easy to drive. In fact listening to the W4 from the touch is bang on.

Unfortunately my only hifi source is in storage (trying to sell house) so I can`t try an input with more oommph but what I do need is the boost I get from the BH amp. These 200`s with "the guts of them" boosted now sound "in your face, upfront, punchy" heaven.

I also can`t listen to them with the red cable, I have heard others hear no difference and that is fine, I find vocals, female vocals harsh. Black cable, albeit microphonic (with that frigging annoying button thing) is a must for me.

I bought the Mundorf cable to see what it sounded like and to "pimp my ride". Funny term that to see something you listen to....
I am an electro plating manager by trade and AWG 24 is about 5mm thick wire. I do intend to start making interconnects when I move house and all this "Mundorf high purity silver 1% gold" stuff is, well a gold flash over silver wire. 
I won`t go into electroplating but I very very much doubt that you will get any decent thickness of plating of plated wire either that you can purchase. Hang on starting to ramble....

Moscow, missing valuable listening time..

May 14, 2013 at 3:57 PM Post #505 of 2,595
Sinth, i only suggest that even C3 alone makes H200 sing and i am sure BH will lift them into a higher league. Tomorrow i will take BH to see how that will add to the overall sound.

Yes, i agree, H200 sound more warm and in your face but that by no means is bad because crossover implementation is very good, i could only suggest tuning up crossover in lower frequency to allow more dynamic subtlies :)

Overall H200 is really doing great job and makes C3 sing.

Agree about fit, i still must find what eartips in my collection can do it better, stock tips are not making me too happy but are just Ok.

May 14, 2013 at 5:15 PM Post #506 of 2,595
The one area where I diverge with many of the other impressions (so far) is where many find these to be 'mid-forward.'  I'm not hearing the H-200 that way.  I find the mids to be neither forward or recessed in relation to the bass & treble positioning.  Their positioning seems more dictated by the recording, from what I can tell so far.

As far as amping goes, they certainly gain better control and possess a cleaner sound when used with dedicated equipment (vs straight out of a DAP).  My experience is limited there, though, since my phone (Galaxy S3) is my (only) DAP.  Using the H-200 with something like the Vio stack (V800/V200) is a bit overkill (though it does sound gorgeous through it).  I found it to sound terrific with the Meier PCSTEP (I have a QUICKSTEP on the way) as well as the Meridian Explorer (DAC)/Objective 2 (amp).  For a phone with a slightly warm tilt, I was a bit worried that using a slightly warmer DAC (Meridian Explorer) might goose the sound too much.. that clearly wasn't the case as the ME/OBJ2 & H-200 proved to be a very alluring combo... excellent soundstage with a smooth, musical presentation.  With the ODAC/PCSTEP, it sounded equally stunning.. very transparent and precise.. imaging was pinpoint and the tonal purity of the H-200 could be easily appreciated.  By all accounts, the QUICKSTEP amp is a step up from the (already impressive) PCSTEP, so I'm looking forward to seeing what it provides.

Re: crossovers.. If I'm not mistaken, the H-200 possesses none.  I've confirmed with T-PEOS that they're using a Knowles dual BA (not sure what model #) and a custom designed 8mm dynamic driver (probably running as a full range driver).  Speaking of the BA.. I found the Knowles driver implementation in the H-200 to be impressive.  It sounds very natural and realistic when it comes to treble presentation (especially when the H-200 is well driven).  Often times, I forget there's even a pair of BAs there as the treble sounds quite unified and seamlessly integrated with the DD.

The H-200 might not be quite as euphonic or sweet as the TDK BA200 or HiFiMan RE-400 (two of my favorite universal IEMs under $400), but I find its "pro monitor"-inspired sound to have more staying power (personally speaking).  At this point, it will most likely remain the only universal IEM I anticipate having cause I'm that fulfilled with it..  I am thinking about trying out the SM64, (upcoming) RE-600 & Cardas "Ear Mirror" IEMs, or something from the StageDiver series.

May 14, 2013 at 5:39 PM Post #507 of 2,595
FlySweep, partly can agree, the only thing i meant was crossover freq in lower range but i am surprised to learn there are none ... ?

Mids are bit forward i hear this clearly with voices, not overly but a bit midcentric, overall very pleasant implementation i must say though for some songs some people might find it bit much in your face. So it depends what type of musical presentation you like. I actually do not mind forwardness if things are well controlled and H200 does not disappoint here :)

H200 surely poses very sweet attribute like giving full rich sound without skimming much on details.

As regards BH and C3 with H200 i listen right now to this setup and can say BH clearly adds hugely to the music ... however i find out1 being best without High Gain while LF and SF switches remain engaged, more clean sounding to my ear while i could hear a small loss of cleanliness and air in sound with HG, HG makes that too much forward and shrinking stage through rounding transients and cutting bit black space. So far i will continue tomorrow but alteady can this is amazing combo which will make many forget about upgrades unless to very expensive gear. Perfect marriage here guys.

PS: i am not trying to sing praises here but i cannot hold from posting my emotions and findings which are highly positive even comparing to Rwak setup i use with RDB+, H200 also sound less edgy although RDB are more spacious and articulate. I would say c3 with H200 and BH can give you long hours of listen music pleasure while Rwak setup with T1 and RDB+ will be more for critical listening ala monitor style. Each combo has its own strength and both are amazing sounding. I can easily live with c3 combo and would not see big reason for upgrading unless you want to move in musician pro madness.

May 14, 2013 at 7:31 PM Post #508 of 2,595
I don't find the mid range forward either, not with my sources, it remains fairly balanced with the lows and highs, especially at lower listening levels. If anything as I've mentioned in my review mids might come a little forward when you start cranking up the volume to higher levels, over the highs a touch that was noticeable to me mostly, I hear the mid range as rather dynamic which could give the impression it's jumping out at you, that was overly present with vocals however still keeping in check with the low and high end for most parts here, I tend to agree with FlySweep.

@~Gintaras: I'm going to try with Colorfly C3 and see what all this fuss is about.

May 14, 2013 at 10:51 PM Post #509 of 2,595
Good point, I do note that I am coming from TF10s, known for recessed mids, so my impressions are that the mids here are pronounced, but that is of course relative to the TF10s. I'm glad you brought this up actually, H2O.

This is one of my huge peeves in reviews, for instance, Headfonia's with the O2 where they criticize the O2 as lacking in certain areas. It's not lacking in those areas, it's perfectly neutral. It's lacking in those areas relative to something else or something they're used to, which is an important distinction from just lacking. Without including the point of reference, phrases of relativity like more or less mids are meaningless. Kind of like a vector lost without it's starting point. 

May 15, 2013 at 1:13 AM Post #510 of 2,595
Looks like, as of today, mine are officially en route. I also inquired about the current promotional offer's remaining period, and received the following reply:

Yes it'll be close at this weekend due to our distributors.
They are going to start to supply h-200 to their retail store from next Monday.
So, Head-Fiers want H-200 should buy until this weekend.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back