T-Peos Altone 200 Review
Nov 2, 2014 at 10:26 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

faithguy19

500+ Head-Fier
This is my first review on Head-fi....

Disclaimer: First off, I would like to thank Jeremy from CTC Audio for the opportunity to review this wonderful hybrid.  I was privileged to be able to be a part of the CTC Audio Product tour and I must say that this is an impressive product offering from T-Peos!  The product in this review can be found here: http://ctcaudio.com/collections/in-ear-monitors-iems/products/t-peos-altone200-3way-hybrid-earphones
            The T-Peos Altone 200 is a triple driver hybrid featuring a dual balanced armature (TWFK) and a single dynamic driver.  Amazingly they were able to fit all of this in such a small casing!  This combination of drivers provides the listener with a more than satisfying listening experience.  Throughout this review I will make various comparisons with the two other hybrids I own: Dunu DN-1000 and Dunu DN-2000.  So without further ado on to the review!

Specs: Drivers: Dual Balanced Armature (Knowles TWFK) + 8.0mm Single Dynamic Driver
Impedance: 22 ohm / 1kHz
Sensitivity: 105 dB / 1 kHz
Power: 100 mW (Max)
Frequency Response: 20 Hz ~ 20 kHz
Connector: 3.5 mm / 24 K Gold plated L-Type Plug
Cable: Round Cable 1.2 m / Y-Type
Weight: 16 g

Accessories:

We will begin with perhaps the most (only?) disappointing part of the Altone package.  The accessories are minimal but there is enough here to get the job done.  At the original price point that many were getting these at ($125) this accessory pack would have been acceptable.  However, at their current price it is about average (some would say less than average).  The box is small and does an adequate job protecting and containing the accessories that are included.  Inside the box we have an updated accessory package with a total of 7 pairs of tips.  3 pairs (S,M,L) of basic silicone tips, 3 pairs (S,M,L) of dual colored silicone tips, and finally one pair of foam tips, which look to be medium sized.  Also included is a pair of standard ear guides for those who chose to wear these over the ear.  The cotton zip-up pouch is great for portability but clearly not very heavy-duty protection. 

Build Quality: The build quality of the Altones is par for the course at this price point.  After a few growing pains at the beginning of their lifecycle T-Peos seems to have worked out the kinks and it has resulted in a solidly built product.  The left and right markings are not labeled ‘L’ or ‘R’ but are clearly represented by the blue and red indicators at the point the cable meets the drivers.  Cable is solid with a good thickness and suppleness to it.  Cable cinch is also now present in the updated packaging, which helps to improve the fit.  Angled jack with appropriate strain reliefs help to provide a good experience for those who want to pocket their phone/DAP while listening to the Altones.

Fit: The Altones are the smallest of the three hybrids that I have had the opportunity to listen to.  As a person with smaller than average ears I am grateful for the smaller profile.  Wearing them cable down is a breeze as I can pop them right in and achieve a seal without much trouble at all.  Driver flex is not an issue and neither is microphonics.  I began by using tips from my Dunu DN-1000s.  However, after getting two tips stuck in my ear I decided to give the included tips a try.  I found that the dual-colored small tips gave me a good seal just about every time.  Just plug ‘em in your player and pop them in your ears and drift away to audio bliss. 

Sound: Now what really matters.  The sound!  As far as the sound T-Peos does not disappoint with the Altone 200.  My first audiophile IEM was the Brainwavz B2 and it was love at first listen.  I searched in vain for a couple years for an earphone that could give me the clarity of the B2 yet with a greater quantity of bass.  My search is now over!  That is exactly how I hear the Altone 200.  Great clarity and great bass together in a perfect marriage.  I would say that soundstage is above average at this price point and I was never disappointed in this area.  However, you will probably hear again and again in this sound section about just how great the detail is on these monitors.  Note: The Altone 200s I received were new and they have been used/burned in for around 40-50 hours.  In that time changes were minimal (perhaps a small reduction in treble emphasis).
•       Bass: Bass on the Altones are slightly emphasized above neutral.  Bass is tight and very controlled and does not bleed into the midrange.  Both mid bass and sub bass are clearly present and yet not overbearing.  Whether listening to EDM, rock, or anything in between I found that the Altones gave me just the right amount of bass that the music calls for.  Never too much and rarely too little for my tastes.  Quantity and quality both punch way above this price point (even with their recent price increase).  It truly is remarkable what T-Peos has done with this tuning.  Other than the clarity and details the bass was easily my favorite part of these great IEMs.  Compared to the Dunu DN-1000 the Altones have quite a bit less bass but it is tighter and more controlled.  Bass really seems to be a matter of preference here between these two earphones.  The Dunus have more quantity yet quality would probably go to the Altones.
•       Mids: As one would expect mids are done very well.  When called for mids can be pleasantly smooth.  For me the mids do not particularly stand out which can be a good thing.  I notice the bass and treble quite a bit more. I noticed the mids most prominently when listening to alternative and softer rock music.  The clarity really shines here especially in the upper mids and this makes progressive rock band Dream Theater really shine.  While there are other IEMs out there that place a greater focus on mids you still will not find much better than these. 
•       Highs: Highs are another shining star for these monitors.  Clarity, Clarity, and more clarity.  I have long had a deep love for crystal clear sound and these deliver in spades.  Cymbal clashes have just the right decay so that the music does not lag behind.  While I don’t listen to a lot of metal I can see these working great for that genre. Although if you listen to your music at loud volumes and are treble sensitive you may need to be weary during certain songs.  I found it slightly fatiguing to listen to these loudly with certain genres for long periods of time.  Not really enough to worry about however. Sibilance was not really an issue for these and I only noticed it on poor recordings or when it was naturally present in a particular song.    

Overall Sound (And Comparisons):
    Overall this will be the sound that many are looking for.  A fantastic IEM at a great price that brings hifi clarity with rich and tight bass.  I could see myself very happy with these for the long haul. Below is a comparison of the Altone 200s with the other Hybrids currently in my possession.
•       Altone vs. Dunu DN-1000:
o   Originally there was quite a price difference between these two.  Yet now they are just about the same in price.  Those looking for absolute clarity and details will want to go with the Altones.  Yet if you value bass and soundstage over clarity than you are going to enjoy the Dunus a little more.  I did a lot of comparison with these two and found that I really enjoyed both of these and it just depended on the mood I was in as to which one I would listen to at the time.
·      Altone vs. Dunu DN-2000:
o   I received the Dunus at the same time that I received the Altones.  It made for one of the best packages I have ever got in the mail!  Admittedly I prefer the higher end Dunus more.  Yet the Altones really hold their own here.  I would give the clarity and comfort overall to the Altones.  However, mids and bass and build quality go to the Dunus.  Yet at almost double the price that is to be expected.

Comfort: Altone > DN-1000 > DN-2000
Clarity: Altone > DN-2000 >DN-1000
Bass Quantity: DN-1000 > Dn-2000 > Altone
Bass Tightness: Altone ≥ DN-2000 > DN-1000
Mids: DN-2000 >>>DN-1000=Altone
Treble: DN-2000≥Altone>DN-1000
Fullness of Sound: DN-2000 > DN-1000 > Altone
Soundstage: DN-2000 > DN-1000 > Altone

Conclusion: These truly are fantastic and I am absolutely thrilled that I had the opportunity to get these in for review.  T-Peos seems to really be hitting their stride and if they can continue to offer this type of sound at these low prices other companies are in for some stiff competition.  I also feel like they are making a great move in making their great products available through authorized dealers in North America like CTC Audio.  This will surely help their products to get into more hands.  Great job T-Peos and thanks again CTC Audio for the opportunity to review this quality product.

Nov 3, 2014 at 12:44 AM Post #2 of 6
beerchug.gif
Great review, quite a bit of detail.

Just a question, which iem is out there if I was particularly interested in the mids and the highs not as much but the bass about the same as the Altone 200?

Nov 3, 2014 at 2:55 PM Post #3 of 6

beerchug.gif
Great review, quite a bit of detail.

Just a question, which iem is out there if I was particularly interested in the mids and the highs not as much but the bass about the same as the Altone 200?

Thanks! As for your question I am not sure if I understand it fully?  Are you looking for something that has similar bass as the Altone 200 or better bass?  Also, what price range are you considering?

Nov 3, 2014 at 10:30 PM Post #4 of 6

Thanks! As for your question I am not sure if I understand it fully?  Are you looking for something that has similar bass as the Altone 200 or better bass?  Also, what price range are you considering?

The bass would remain the same, the price the same or a little more but not exceeding 250$. Thanks!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back