T.H.E. SHOW, Newport Beach, June 2011
Jun 1, 2011 at 6:27 PM Post #8 of 12
HeadRoom's "j-crew"  (Jorge, Jeremy, and Josh) will be there, so be sure to stop by and visit! We are centrally located in the Crystal Foyer, so you probably can't miss us.  Also, Jorge will be teaming up with Tyll (Hertsens, HeadRoom founder and former CEO in case you're not in the know) for a Headphone Talk on Saturday morning at 11am in the main ballroom. 
The talk is entitled -- "How to Choose a Great Headphone".   not to be missed!
beerchug.gif

Jun 6, 2011 at 4:58 PM Post #10 of 12
the long headroom table had at least two planar hifiman phones but they were in heavy rotation, didn't get to try them. several other nice cans in evidence too. and some funny cars!

@PFOaudioarts posted 46 photos on Facebook in the album "THE Newport Show" http://fb.me/SxdodSoj

this weekend was a tour de force of high-end salesmanship, showmanship, and gadget love!

here's a thumbnail sketch of what I heard: the Spectral system had fantastic sound, two rooms had Wilson speakers that are beguiling but not very deep. the Vandersteen were great showing off the Audio Research electronics, and the PrimaLuna room had a couple excellent combos. I was very reassured to hear in the Magnepan 3.7 a lot of what I know from my 2.5R - but was astonished by their spatial arrangement: a lot of toe-in for these planars!

other notable rooms for me were Jolida - van Schweikert; a real highlight was the comfy suite that yoked YG and Tenor - amazing bass, astonishing presence. however, I felt that Focal - Burmester was overkill, and the McIntosh - MartinLogan combo was fine on top yet boomy below. the all-Burmester line-up of speakers and electronics was superior to the all MBL system, which I found a bit metallic, though frighteningly dynamic; probably would have done better in a bigger room.

there were good deals to be had, too; I almost committed to another headphone amp with USB-DAC (centrance showed its DACmini and DACport - both very nice!), but in the end came away, happily, only with a new wish-list of good music I heard bits and pieces of this weekend. and in the end, that's what it's all about!

Jun 11, 2011 at 12:51 AM Post #11 of 12
@melomaiac I agree about the Martin Logans I feel that if they where in a much bigger room they would sound much nicer. I think those speakers just don't like small rooms. I really wish I had seen the magnepan room I don't know how I missed it... from what I hear online I was thinking of saving up for a pair of 1.7's or getting a pair of MMGs and pairing them with a sub. Did you hear any other models besides the 3.7's?

Jun 13, 2011 at 8:58 AM Post #12 of 12
Quote:
@melomaiac I agree about the Martin Logans I feel that if they where in a much bigger room they would sound much nicer. I think those speakers just don't like small rooms. I really wish I had seen the magnepan room I don't know how I missed it... from what I hear online I was thinking of saving up for a pair of 1.7's or getting a pair of MMGs and pairing them with a sub. Did you hear any other models besides the 3.7's?

no, there was only that pair of Maggies at THE show, I believe. but you can hear them in many show rooms - the MMG is great, I have a pair, and you can get a fast Hsu sub for not much moolah; and I also like my old 2.5R, which is now amped enough so I hardly ever dial in a sub with them.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back