T-AMP with sub-out?
Jan 17, 2008 at 2:18 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 32

Capunk

1000+ Head-Fier
Hi guys,

I'm planning to build a small bookshelf setup, and almost purchase Trends TA-10 or Yulong T-Amp (nearly), but suddenly I discovered, there is not subwoofer output in any T-AMP. I understand bookshelf speakers should able to produce a good amount of bass, but when I came across Home Theater Speakers - Orb Audio , they offer their satellites speakers with subwoofer, so which amp is the most value as a great entry to audiophile speaker setup with subwoofer?

PS. I'm newbie on speaker things... does subwoofer only belong to Home Theater setup?

Jan 17, 2008 at 10:23 PM Post #2 of 32
Most subwoofers have passive inputs/outputs that accept speaker cable. You could run the cable from the amp to the subwoofer, then from the subwoofer to your speakers. Otherwise, you could look for an integrated amplifier or a home theater receiver with a subwoofer preamp output.

You might want to take a look at the specifications of Orb Audio's speakers. IMO, their speakers are no better than Bose.

Jan 18, 2008 at 12:00 AM Post #3 of 32
Ah I see, so no matter what amp I will use, it's better to connect the amp output to subwoofer then from the sub to both speakers?

Will T-AMP sufficient to this kind of setup? (powering the sub as well)

Jan 18, 2008 at 1:51 AM Post #4 of 32
Quote:

Originally Posted by Capunk /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Ah I see, so no matter what amp I will use, it's better to connect the amp output to subwoofer then from the sub to both speakers?

Will T-AMP sufficient to this kind of setup? (powering the sub as well)

The amp doesn't actually power the sub.
smily_headphones1.gif

Basically you loop the high power speaker outputs through the subwoofer, and back out to your speakers. The subwoofer sneaks a peak at the signal, but doesn't actually impose any significant load on them. This signal is sent to a separate subwoofer amp (usually integrated into the main box).

Alternatively, if you plan on using a source with a volume control, you can just split the RCA into two sets - one for your sub, one for your t-amp. This is probably the cleanest way, if you can leave your T-Amp's volume in one position.

*edit* by the way, I'm not sure if you can get them there, but I highly recommend Paradigm Titans (v3-v5). They're in the $150-$300 range new, and you can occasionally find them used on ebay. Truly excellent bookshelf speakers.

*2nd edit* lol... I really have to read people's posts more carefully before responding.
smily_headphones1.gif
I would tend to stay away from integrated systems, even if they do save you a bit of cash. They're almost always a compromise that will frustrate you a year or two down the road (when you'll have forgotten the $100 it saved you at the time).

I don't have a sub, though occasionally I long for one... but with my setup, the bass is sufficient. I would start with decent bookshelf speakers, and if you feel you need more bass, buy a decent 8" powered subwoofer. The trick to subs is placement and proper adjustment. Ideally you want it between the two channels, aiming directly at you. Adjust it so that you can only barely hear it, set the crossover to 70-80hz for bookshelf speakers, and get used to it. Then, tweak it until you're happy.

Jan 18, 2008 at 2:25 AM Post #5 of 32
Emotiva BPA-1 is a 2 channel amp with volume and a analogue line out for the sub.

I am getting one for my existing TAD 805 and 12" sub and Ori Zhalou.

Jan 25, 2008 at 3:03 PM Post #6 of 32
Running speaker output signals through the sub seriously damages the signal. Every sub manufacturer recommends running rca low level signals through the sub and then to the amp and speakers. The best way is for the amp to handle the routing and splitting of the signal but you need a digital preamp for that.

Jan 26, 2008 at 1:43 PM Post #7 of 32
The Red Wine Audio Sig 30.2 has a volume controlled output which is perfect for a sub. It may be out of your price, but it is a great t-amp and well worth it.

Jan 29, 2008 at 6:16 AM Post #8 of 32
Here's a budget guy reply if you're into T-amps
Audiomagus has a custom speaker line level adapter specifically for T-amps to allow a line level sub output from the T-amp.
I don't think I can link to them here but google it.
As far as I know the T-amp has a common ground so proper grounding is important.

disclaimer:
I'm not affiliated with Audiomagus but have purchased items from them, ok, 1 item.

Jan 29, 2008 at 9:00 AM Post #9 of 32
Is there any guide to set up proper 2.1 Audiophile speaker setup?
Most subwoofer has one RCA output which similar to Coax digital cable... how to connect this to the amp?

Jan 29, 2008 at 3:13 PM Post #10 of 32
Quote:

Is there any guide to set up proper 2.1 Audiophile speaker setup?
Most subwoofer has one RCA output which similar to Coax digital cable... how to connect this to the amp?

The RCA jack is an input to the subwoofer. A RCA cable is a RCA cable, regardless of how it's used (re: analog or digital audio). Connect a RCA cable from your amplifier's subwoofer preamp output to your subwoofer. If your amplifier has an internal crossover, plug into the subwoofer's crossover bypass jack and set the crossover frequency on the amp, but if not, you can plug into the crossover jack and set the crossover frequency on the sub.

The crossover determines which frequencies will be sent to the subwoofer. If you set it too low, there will be a gap in frequency response between your subwoofer and other speakers, but too high, and there will be a bump in the bass response where both the sub and speakers are playing. Use your ears (and your speakers' specifications) to determine which setting will be best.

Jan 29, 2008 at 3:59 PM Post #11 of 32
Just in case I get something like this...
512.jpg

How can I connect my sub with this amp?

Jan 29, 2008 at 4:44 PM Post #12 of 32
Quote:

How can I connect my sub with this amp?

You would have to use the subwoofer's high-level speaker inputs. Either run the speaker cables to your subwoofer, then out of your subwoofer and to your speakers, or run parallel cables from the binding posts to both the subwoofer and speakers. Not ideal, but it will work.

Jan 29, 2008 at 4:55 PM Post #13 of 32
Quote:

Originally Posted by infinitesymphony /img/forum/go_quote.gif
You would have to use the subwoofer's high-level speaker inputs. Either run the speaker cables to your subwoofer, then out of your subwoofer and to your speakers, or run parallel cables from the binding posts to both the subwoofer and speakers. Not ideal, but it will work.

T Amps don't like having their outputs grounded together so depending on your sub it may or may not tie the grounds together a meter can check fairly easily if there is continuity between the grounds of the high level input. My sony sub doesn't share grounds so I run my sub with a run of cables from the t-amp and one to the monitors.

Someone I believe mentioned that audio magus sells an adaptor that steps the high-level input down to line level,l this would probably be a safe way to intergrate the sub and t-amp.

Jan 31, 2008 at 6:29 PM Post #14 of 32
I have a question, might be stupid but take a look at this,

connectors.jpg

This is the back of Creative Megaworks 550 active subwoofer, and I notice there is Center/Subwoofer input, can I connect this sub to the receiver, and use it as a normal subwoofer?

Jan 31, 2008 at 6:44 PM Post #15 of 32
Quote:

This is the back of Creative Megaworks 550 active subwoofer, and I notice there is Center/Subwoofer input, can I connect this sub to the receiver, and use it as a normal subwoofer?

Possibly... You'll have to use the speakers' volume control to control the output volume of the subwoofer.

Also, that jack is for both center and subwoofer, which means that it's a stereo 1/8" input. Subwoofer preamp output from a receiver is mono RCA. If you got a RCA to 1/8" adapter, it might work... Not sure if you'd need mono or stereo, since I'm not sure which channel (left or right) is for the subwoofer, but mono might work either way.

Which receiver are you talking about? This can't be done with the Trends mentioned earlier...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back