T-Amp: What blows?
Oct 24, 2005 at 4:47 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

comabereni

1000+ Head-Fier
I have 3 Sonic Impact T-amps where I overvolted or reversed polarity accidentally on the power supply, so they are "blown", "fried", or whatever.

Specifically, what burns out on these amps when you do this? I'd like to just replace whatever part/parts I destroyed and have 3 working amps again.

Thanks,

coma

Oct 25, 2005 at 1:38 AM Post #2 of 7
open up get close and take a sniff. May be a capacitor may be the main chip. Likely both!

Oct 25, 2005 at 4:28 AM Post #3 of 7
Probably the chip. These are mixed technology devices and don't like going beyond their maximum ratings much. It's possible your PSU cap is blown too, but usually it's a 16v part (hopefully you weren't feeding that much through it). However, even if the PSU cap popped, the amp would still probably work.

Oct 25, 2005 at 6:01 AM Post #4 of 7
Man I'd hate to be a t-amp at your house!
smily_headphones1.gif

Motherone got it... T-amps a notoriously vulnerable to over-voltages. I believe that the Tripath 2020, for example, will basically self destruct even if it momentarily gets hit by much over 14v.

The polarity one is harder to say... I thought that the Sonic Impact was protected against reverse polarity... but I guess not!

Oct 25, 2005 at 6:56 AM Post #5 of 7
Quote:

Originally Posted by blip
Man I'd hate to be a t-amp at your house!
smily_headphones1.gif

Motherone got it... T-amps a notoriously vulnerable to over-voltages. I believe that the Tripath 2020, for example, will basically self destruct even if it momentarily gets hit by much over 14v.

The polarity one is harder to say... I thought that the Sonic Impact was protected against reverse polarity... but I guess not!

How likely is a T-amp to get damaged/blown by running it at 13.8V?

I've run mine at said voltage via a stabilised linear PSU and for the one week I used it, everything ran smoothly. I decided I prefer my Cyrus amp though so back into my stash the T-amp and its PSU went.

Oct 25, 2005 at 7:11 AM Post #6 of 7
Quote:

Originally Posted by Zorander
How likely is a T-amp to get damaged/blown by running it at 13.8V?

I've run mine at said voltage via a stabilised linear PSU and for the one week I used it, everything ran smoothly. I decided I prefer my Cyrus amp though so back into my stash the T-amp and its PSU went.

Are you using the Sonic Impact? I can't remember what the maximum on the chip it uses is but my sense is that the SI can handle voltage right up to its maximum... but cross that line and it will rapidly "release" the smoke inside of it.
cool.gif
(Though the SI chip is the little brother of the 2020, IIRC, so I would assume it is right around 14-15v)

Anyway, I do know that 13.8v is considered an acceptable (if high) voltage for running the SI at... it's just on the upper end of the safe envelope. (I think that is roughly what some SLA rigs put out, and they are perfectly fine) My point is that where some amps are happy running a little outside of their stated maximums, the t-amps have a tendency (though individual samples will vary) to fail.

Oct 25, 2005 at 9:09 AM Post #7 of 7
Ok, thanks everyone. I bought several of these amps and then proceeded to experiment with them. I ran one at 15 volts for a long time and it didn't seem to mind. 3 others died ugly smoking, stinking deaths from my playing around (over-volting, reversing polarity, or both). I bought the T-amps for $3.99 ea during the famous X10.com pricing error sale, so I wasn't too upset.

I think 14v is at the very high end of the safe zone. They die instantly if you reverse polarity. I run my surviving T-amps at 13.5v now and have no problems.

-coma

Users who are viewing this thread

Back