T-amp + k1000 xx ohm resistor question
May 7, 2006 at 12:41 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

tyloh73

100+ Head-Fier
From this thread,poster stated that:

http://www6.head-fi.org/forums/showt...ight=k1000+amp

"...With T-amp and K1000, adding a 10 ohm resistor in parallel cures the excessive brightness...."

could someone give me some explanations and instructions on this?I can get those resistors in radio shack,can't I?and how do I put the resistor in parallel with cable?

sorry for the stupid question,but I have got no one to turn to
frown.gif

Is this the resistor the poster talked about?

http://www.radioshack.com/product/in...entPage=search

May 7, 2006 at 3:27 AM Post #2 of 4
I'm sure if you searched you could find this info pretty easily, but I cant be bothered searching either so i'll reply...

I don't know if parallel resistors will cure the excessive brightness, unless you are a dog... but it may cure the "help my k1000 died" syndrome
k1000smile.gif

without a parallel resistor you're putting lots of ultrasonics through the k1000, because the t-amp is designed to drive a 4 or 8 ohm impedance speaker, and not a 120 ohm k1000. At high volumes lots of ultrasonics going the the k1000 could be bad, and it certainly wont be good. I would never run k1000's through the t-amp without them.. my k1000's are too valuable.

About how you do it, yeah you just connect the resistor leads from the red to black terminal.
The one problem with the resistor you chose it that its only rated for 1/4th of a watt. The t-amp can output up to around 10 watts or so, so you could blow the resistor (although in my experiece with the k1000 and t-amp you won't, at the volume I listen at the resistor doesn't even get warm). What I would do instead is buy a couple of packs of the 22ohm 1/2 watt resistors (or 33ohm if you like) and use 3 of the 22ohm resistors in parallel for each channel (or 4 of the 33ohm).

May 18, 2006 at 10:11 AM Post #3 of 4
hi,

i've just bought a k1000 and stumbled on this thread...

Would the resistor requirement apply for all speaker amps or just the t-amp?

I have a sony integrated amp i want to use at home while i wait for my dedicated tube amp for the k-1000s.

How can I tell if a speaker amp will fry my k1000s?

Thanks!

May 18, 2006 at 4:27 PM Post #4 of 4
Quote:

Originally Posted by choariwap
hi,

i've just bought a k1000 and stumbled on this thread...

Would the resistor requirement apply for all speaker amps or just the t-amp?

I have a sony integrated amp i want to use at home while i wait for my dedicated tube amp for the k-1000s.

How can I tell if a speaker amp will fry my k1000s?

Thanks!

I do not own the K1000 - I wish I would - but AFAIK they have been designed to be driven by power amps. The resistor is meant to make the D class T-amp "see" a lower impedance than the 120 ohm of the K1000 - otherwise it outputs a lot of ultrasonic noise. SS or tube based power amps are OK without resistor. Not sure about other D class amps, though.

Other more knowledgeable folks, please correct me if i'm wrong.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back