t-amp; even worth looking into?
Apr 25, 2006 at 7:35 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 19

markot86

500+ Head-Fier
This thing seems to be one of the more overly hyped pieces of speaker equipment; however, i see VERY few people recommending it. If the things that some of the reviews say is true, why don't more people use this little thing? Should I even remotely consider buying one or building a system around one?

Apr 25, 2006 at 5:43 PM Post #2 of 19
I recommend it; using it as my bedroom system paired to a set of Athena ASB2 bookshelves.

Apr 25, 2006 at 5:56 PM Post #3 of 19
I don't recommend them, even though I use a Red Wine Audio Reali-T. (modded T-Amp + Scott Nixon DAC + DACT SA volume control + 12V SLA battery power)

The advantage of the T-Amp (cap modded original T-Amp or a Super T-Amp, on a 12V SLA or 13.8V linear power supply) is that it has great detail, good bass after the cap replacement, and a low noise floor. The bad news is that it has about 6 WPC before it starts clipping.

Meaning, it's a very inflexible amp. You pretty much need high efficiency (>93 dB/watt at 1 m) for placement farther out than two meters. And unless you're a single driver, no x-over fan, your speaker choices are limited compared to higher power amplifiers.

Of course, for a $100 bucks or so, it doesn't cost too much to experiment with them.

Apr 25, 2006 at 6:29 PM Post #4 of 19
Quote:

Originally Posted by markot86
This thing seems to be one of the more overly hyped pieces of speaker equipment;

Yes I agree, I think the only reason it gets the hype is because it is so dirt cheap and actually produces music
wink.gif
. I've heard it with k1000 and a few pairs of speakers it is always the limiting factor and is very very bright. I really don't know how people can stand it to be honest.

Quote:

Should I even remotely consider buying one or building a system around one?

Nope I wouldn't.

Apr 25, 2006 at 6:59 PM Post #5 of 19
I had one and fried it.....we wont talk about that. Anyway it sounded great and did a pretty decent job of driving my Wharfedale's, dont remember the model number. I have another one coming and some Boston Acoustics CR6's so I'll report again once I get everything. However my speakers are going to be about .5 meters away so I don't know about any further. Also I'm using a sub, and like a bright sound.

Apr 25, 2006 at 8:29 PM Post #6 of 19
Quote:

why don't more people use this little thing?

Because people don't want something cheap that sounds better than their big expensive "romantic" amps. I liked it more than my $5000 power amp because it was more neutral instead of colored and bassy. I had to mod my power amp until it sounded better so I didn't have to sell it... It only costs $13k extra and now it sounds as clean as T-Amp...
rolleyes.gif
So yeah, the 500 times cheaper T-Amp sucks compared to what I have now, at least that is what I make myself believe because I am scared to compare it against the T-Amp again.

Apr 25, 2006 at 8:59 PM Post #7 of 19
The T-Amp doesn't measure very well. It has a +1.4dB boost at 20kHz into 8 ohm speakers, which may explain why some people find it bright and others find it to be "airy, with fantastic detail." On the low end, the stock T-Amp has a 6dB/oct bass rolloff. It also produces less continuous power than advertised.

Undoubtedly, part of the reason it is so popular is because it's so colored. It definitely will sound different than a lot of other amps. That said, for a $30 gadget that produces sound, it's not bad. But once you start buying new power supplies and mods and high-efficiency speakers, it's no longer a deal.

Apr 26, 2006 at 1:19 AM Post #9 of 19
markot86, at over 500 posts, this would most likely be the cheapest component in your collection.

What's the hurt in getting one? If you don't like it, give it to a friend. I love mine. I use it daily and I beat the living He;; out of it. It drives my speakers well.

Just get it. You may love it....and if you don't you're only out 30 bucks.

B

Apr 26, 2006 at 2:00 AM Post #10 of 19
Quote:

Undoubtedly, part of the reason it is so popular is because it's so colored.

Heh, probably the reason why I like Grados so much too
biggrin.gif

Apr 26, 2006 at 4:22 AM Post #12 of 19
I think it's downsides are brightness and harshness when used alone. With a tube pre-amp (Luxman LX-33) and efficient speakers (Omega Speaker Systems Mini-Me's,) the stock t-amp sounds GREAT to my ears. Plenty of depth, soundstage, fullness and roundness and great bass, but still fast and precise. I think it sounds better than using my Luxman integrated tube amp alone with very similar speakers (but is nowhere near as powerful.) It is low on power but is GREAT for low-volume nearfield listening when used with a tube pre-amp.

Apr 26, 2006 at 7:09 AM Post #13 of 19
Quote:

Originally Posted by ilikemonkeys
markot86, at over 500 posts, this would most likely be the cheapest component in your collection.

What's the hurt in getting one? If you don't like it, give it to a friend. I love mine. I use it daily and I beat the living He;; out of it. It drives my speakers well.

Just get it. You may love it....and if you don't you're only out 30 bucks.

B

See, I wish it were that easy. The problem is I don't have any speakers and I would really have to build a system around it; I'm not very knowledgable about speaker sensitivity, but I feel like it works the same way as headphones in that certain amps are better for speakers with certain sensitivities.

Apr 26, 2006 at 12:09 PM Post #14 of 19
It's rich to see people with tube gear talking about how a t-amp is colored!

I've got 4 of them. I use 1 with an SLA battery, and 3 with an inexpensive regulated wall wart. I power 4 different sets of speakers - NHT super zeros, B&W 302, Kef Chorale IIIs, and some old boston acoustics. My opinion is that the amp sounds very clean and natural, and has plenty of power for bookshelf speakers having efficiencies in the high 80s. It certainly is not a substitute for for a high powered amp with inefficient speakers, but it's a very good option for people trying to build good sounding inexpensive systems. It sounds much better than inexpensive receivers - much cleaner, more articulate. No comparison. You need a good power supply to get the most out of it. See past posts for recommendations on inexpensive wall warts that work well. There is a lot of t-amp bashing by the same people on this board. Read the comments of owners and reviewers on the internet and decide if the $30-50 investment is worth making.

Apr 26, 2006 at 8:02 PM Post #15 of 19
Have the super T here and use it with my Freecom Media Player3 for playback of OGG encoded MP3 and MPeg4 stuff. Used with a pair of Tannoy Speakers.
Find it a great little amp and output is about 8W. Not a problem given what it is used for.If I want to kick arse I use the main system. If I don't want to disturb people that's where the Grado's come into play.
Only downside with it is that it only has one input and no output's.
Value for money even at the difference in price over here in the UK? YES!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back