T+A Solitaire P planar magnetostatic
Jul 11, 2023 at 11:40 AM Post #2,986 of 3,204
Traveling at the moment so I’m not near my rig but I’ll give it a go from memory and can comment further in a few weeks time when I return.

The review sites are largely accurate in that the Sol-P has a fuller sound, heavier note weight across the frequency spectrum but particularly in the bass. The Sol-P SE has hints of that “ethereal” quality found in e-stats particularly in the treble. The Sol P is a darker headphone with very detailed but less prominent treble and that darker quality is accentuated by the fuller bass which has excellent articulation and rumble bested by few planars (Final D8K Pro and certainly TC trump as might a LCD-4 by reputation but I haven’t personally heard a 4/4z). Overall the Sol P presents what some might call a non-fatiguing and laid back listen. The detail is there in abundance (even more so than the high detail in the Sol P-SE) but not screaming for attention. Sol P soundstage is larger and deeper than the P-SE for me.

Comfort and construction on both are excellent although the Sol P-SE is lighter given its materials while the Sol P feels more premium in hand. Both are very understated in their design.
Having owned both I agree with these comments. Soundstage is much more holographic with the Sol-P. If I had only heard the P-SE though I would be very happy with it, especially with the comfort.

Jul 11, 2023 at 5:49 PM Post #2,987 of 3,204
both good I have owned both...P is better but I am not sure if it is worth the big difference in cost....

Jul 11, 2023 at 6:10 PM Post #2,988 of 3,204
I heard the Solitaire P a number of times and have never cared for it. I felt the Utopia was superior in terms of timbre, bass impact and overall sound. It was too “light” sounding for me. Each time I heard it was out of T&A’s own amp. Then I heard it out of the Holo Audio May/Bliss stack and was wowed by it. Its bass impact was tight and thrilling with an excellent midrange. Sol P owners may want to try it out when given the opportunity.

Jul 11, 2023 at 6:29 PM Post #2,989 of 3,204
I heard the Solitaire P a number of times and have never cared for it. I felt the Utopia was superior in terms of timbre, bass impact and overall sound. It was too “light” sounding for me. Each time I heard it was out of T&A’s own amp. Then I heard it out of the Holo Audio May/Bliss stack and was wowed by it. Its bass impact was tight and thrilling with an excellent midrange. Sol P owners may want to try it out when given the opportunity.

This may have also been the variation issue. There seems to be 2 soli P measurements. One that extends to 0 and is a bit v shaped. Another with a hard core bass roll off but fuller mids. Given it's a planar yhis shouldn't be an impedence mismatch issue either

Jul 11, 2023 at 6:33 PM Post #2,990 of 3,204
This may have also been the variation issue. There seems to be 2 soli P measurements. One that extends to 0 and is a bit v shaped. Another with a hard core bass roll off but fuller mids. Given it's a planar yhis shouldn't be an impedence mismatch issue either
The two measurements are clamping pressure dependant.

With more clamping pressure it extends without rolloff.
The measurement with rolloff had a light fit on the measurement rig

Jul 11, 2023 at 6:39 PM Post #2,991 of 3,204
The two measurements are clamping pressure dependant.
They are not. @Resolve had mine in for measurements and said that clamp/seal did not make up the difference. From a purely subjective stand point, I didnt get any significant change in roll off on my set (mine extended to 0) pushing them into my head nor purposefully gapping them like abyss.

Jul 11, 2023 at 6:41 PM Post #2,992 of 3,204
They are not. @Resolve had mine in for measurements and said that clamp/seal did not make up the difference. From a purely subjective stand point, I didnt get any significant change in roll off on my set (mine extended to 0) pushing them into my head nor purposefully gapping them like abyss.
Interesting. Oratory1990 had mine and could replicate both types and Some more variants in between.

He also mentioned that he has never seen a headphone change this dramatically with different pressure levels

Jul 11, 2023 at 6:43 PM Post #2,993 of 3,204
Interesting. Oratory1990 had mine and could replicate both types and Some more variants in between.

He also mentioned that he has never seen a headphone change this dramatically with different pressure levels

Any chance you know if he was realy realy squeezing them in for something? Fwiw, my set had hd6x0 style clamp force and I didn't notice crazy roll (certainly not as much as shown in the oratory measurements) when fully holding them off my ears tbh

EDIT: Here are the range of his measurements.
1689115929601.png

For context, here is the "other revision"
1689116011569.png

Last edited:
Jul 11, 2023 at 8:56 PM Post #2,995 of 3,204
I was not aware of that issue. I do also think it is the Holo stack though as it represents one of the best dacs and amps around. I cannot say the same for the T&A HA-200.

Jul 11, 2023 at 9:34 PM Post #2,996 of 3,204
I was not aware of that issue. I do also think it is the Holo stack though as it represents one of the best dacs and amps around. I cannot say the same for the T&A HA-200.

Hahaha. I have a particular distaste for the holo sound signature so i can't say I share your opinions there, but it certainly does bring the slam ajd seperation

Jul 11, 2023 at 11:01 PM Post #2,998 of 3,204
Yes, I see you’re a tube man. Nice set up. I like both tubes and SS.

Nah, not realy a tube thing. My dac is solid state and r2r true nos as well. I just find holo trades off a lot to get it's signature dynamics and hyper seperation. It's the wierd smoothness to the texture that realy gets me tbh.

Jul 20, 2023 at 5:45 AM Post #2,999 of 3,204
After owning the Sol P for nearly 2 months now I find that I reach for them more often than my Susvara and TC. Very happy with them.

Jul 21, 2023 at 3:03 PM Post #3,000 of 3,204
T+A Audio Solitaire P:

Objective Score (1-10) – 8.58

My Score (1-10) – 9.50

Treble – Perfect, articulate sound that brings out every high frequency detail, but faintly shrill. (9/10)

Mids – Mildly under-present or muddy sounding at times. (6/10)

Bass – Excellent bass with strong presence. Could maybe have a slightly fuller profile. (9/10)

Vocals – Excellent forward-focused vocals, but would prefer vocals that present themselves a bit more forward. Noticeably slightly sibilant. (9/10)

Soundstage – Great, almost as wide as the Sennheiser HD 800S. (9.5/10)

Imaging – Excellent. (9/10)

Directional Audio/Gaming – Clear direction at all times. Pinpoint precision. Could provide a fuller and wider presence. (8/10)
Build Quality – Extremely durable feel, and uses the best materials. Cosmetically very appealing. Top of line. (10/10)
Comfort – Light and extremely comfortable. Can forget they’re even there. (10/10)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back