T+A Solitaire P planar magnetostatic
Jan 18, 2023 at 5:07 PM Post #2,881 of 3,204
The basic, built in sound signature of the P is warm, precise and holographic (off the TA HA200). I purchased the ultra wide pads just to see what they do and I like them. They can bring a certain brightness to the treble that is not over done. With these pads I usually don't need EQ, but it depends on how the music was recorded. Some full out orchestral pieces benefit from the extra lift the ultra wide pads produce, but other pieces that are better recorded don't need any tinkering. Compared to the Elites which I have but rarely use, the P's are rich, warm but yet precise. The bass can be sumptuous but not thick or flabby. These headphones are just spectacular for every type of classical I have thrown at them. These are one of my all time best headphone purchases.

totally agree. the SolP is something special. the build quality and feel of these hps, both on the head and in the hand is really fantastic. sound wise, definitely deserving of TOTL status.

having the two pad options covers almost all of the genres I listen to. wish they made the pad swap easier; Meze got this right. am thankful t+a decided to go with just two main pad options rather than more. keeps it relatively simple and easy to decide upon.

everytime I put these on, it just reinforces thay they will likely never be sold off. love the spaciousness in the ear cups which I feel also translates to that massive stage width and cavernous sense of space and room. I've not come out of a listening session with the P disappointed.

the SolP is almost a "hidden gem".. I think a lot of ppl are turned off from it by the high retail price, and unfortunately not many are aware they can be had for much lower than the retail price tag.

Jan 18, 2023 at 5:29 PM Post #2,882 of 3,204
totally agree. the SolP is something special. the build quality and feel of these hps, both on the head and in the hand is really fantastic. sound wise, definitely deserving of TOTL status.

having the two pad options covers almost all of the genres I listen to. wish they made the pad swap easier; Meze got this right. am thankful t+a decided to go with just two main pad options rather than more. keeps it relatively simple and easy to decide upon.

everytime I put these on, it just reinforces thay they will likely never be sold off. love the spaciousness in the ear cups which I feel also translates to that massive stage width and cavernous sense of space and room. I've not come out of a listening session with the P disappointed.

the SolP is almost a "hidden gem".. I think a lot of ppl are turned off from it by the high retail price, and unfortunately not many are aware they can be had for much lower than the retail price tag.
While I don't necessarily agree on comfort.
That one ranks alright and is therefore below Meze and the Expanse.

However that cavernous space and Instrument placement is amazing.
I qA/B'd them a lot lately and the sound is simply great.
I just wish the comfort would be closer to Meze for my head.

Feb 9, 2023 at 5:07 PM Post #2,883 of 3,204
Man, I wish I didn't sell the SolP before trying it out on the Feliks Envy. I am thinking they would be an amazing combo. On the SS amps I once had, I felt the SOLP felt a bit too clinical for my taste.

Last edited:
Mar 13, 2023 at 5:39 PM Post #2,884 of 3,204
Anyone try the SolP with the Envy yet? This is the combo I am very interested in.

Mar 13, 2023 at 6:53 PM Post #2,885 of 3,204
We both owned the P and Sus at the same time and, as I recall, you sold your P prior to the Envy. I sold my P even though they paired very well with the Envy because I didn't find them close to the comfort of the Sus, they weighed more and I found I choose the Sus or LCD-5 more often for evening listening sessions. I enjoyed them but they got less and less listening time so they were sold. Great hp but just not for me.

Mar 13, 2023 at 6:56 PM Post #2,886 of 3,204
We both owned the P and Sus at the same time and, as I recall, you sold your P prior to the Envy. I sold my P even though they very paired well with the Envy because I didn't find them close to the comfort of the Sus, they weighed more and I found I choose the Sus or LCD-5 more often for evening listening sessions. I enjoyed them but they got less and less listening time so they were sold. Great hp but just not for me.
Yes sold the SolP before I received the Envy. Mistake in hindsight.

I like the SolP but felt I wanted the midrange to be a bit more forward and for it to sound a bit less clinical. I only tried them with SS Amps and feel a good tube setup would have been amazing for them.

Mine were bass monsters. I preferred the bass on the SolP to the TCs. I can't imagine how they would sound off the Envy as the Susvara got some low end emphasis when using the Envy.

Mar 13, 2023 at 7:31 PM Post #2,888 of 3,204
Yeah, they did do bass well! 😵‍💫

I might try the P again if they design a better head band and shave off some weight.
With headband I very carefully bent them out so they were not so narrow on the top. But I can imagine something will snap as well.

The weight did suck. Not going to lie. But I did get used to it.

Mar 18, 2023 at 11:25 AM Post #2,891 of 3,204
where do you see these prices.

AV.com in UK and here in $ for you 😉

http://diyhifiaudiophile.com/home/331-ta-solitaire-p-headphones.html

For a simple high quality solution, the SolP out of the front end of the Weiss DAC 501 4CH is hard to beat for a two piece solution. Really nice and refined sound quality. Loads of detail for high quality recordings but refined enough to make early Led Zep, Hendrix etc very enjoyable - these can often sound a bit harsh and fatiguing with lesser solutions.

Last edited:
Mar 18, 2023 at 11:50 AM Post #2,892 of 3,204
AV.com in UK and here in $ for you 😉

http://diyhifiaudiophile.com/home/331-ta-solitaire-p-headphones.html

For a simple high quality solution, the SolP out of the front end of the Weiss DAC 501 4CH is hard to beat for a two piece solution. Really nice and refined sound quality. Loads of detail for high quality recordings but refined enough to make early Led Zep, Hendrix etc very enjoyable - these can often sound a bit harsh and fatiguing with lesser solutions.
The P at AV.com is in their clearance sale along with the PSE and HA200. I purchased my first HA200 from them and it was faulty. When T+A asked where I purchased it from (after I queried the strange message I was getting on the HA200 display) they told me that AV.com weren't an official dealer for them. I did manage to get a full refund without any hassle though.

Mar 18, 2023 at 12:05 PM Post #2,894 of 3,204
The P at AV.com is in their clearance sale along with the PSE and HA200. I purchased my first HA200 from them and it was faulty. When T+A asked where I purchased it from (after I queried the strange message I was getting on the HA200 display) they told me that AV.com weren't an official dealer for them. I did manage to get a full refund without any hassle though.

£3,099 seems a very good deal to me with a 30 day return and a 5 year warranty. Sorry to hear you had a problem with your HA200 though. I had one for trial a year or so back with the SolP and I wasn’t too impressed with it tbh. Mind you, I was trying it as an all rounder with my other phones so it is phone dependent.

Mar 18, 2023 at 12:22 PM Post #2,895 of 3,204
£3,099 seems a very good deal to me with a 30 day return and a 5 year warranty. Sorry to hear you had a problem with your HA200 though. I had one for trial a year or so back with the SolP and I wasn’t too impressed with it tbh. Mind you, I was trying it as an all rounder with my other phones so it is phone dependent.
Agreed, if you're not bothered about purchasing from an authorized dealer. It's the price the P should have been perhaps! I loved the combo personally, best sounding I've heard over the years. Sadly, the weight has started to aggravate an old neck injury (over long listening sessions) so my quest begins once more!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back