T+A Solitaire P planar magnetostatic
Jul 12, 2020 at 4:05 AM Post #121 of 3,248
Hello,

T+A has been kind enough to provide me a first sample of their new Ultra Wide pads - and here are my first impressions of the new pads:

The new Ultra Wide pads are also made of Alcantara/Protein leather, and unlike their original sound-absorbing and completely rough counterparts, the alternate pads now have smooth perforated surfaces on the inside, which are intended to influence the acoustic radiation characteristics of the SOLITAIRE P headphones.

The differences in the frequency response affect the midrange almost in whole, which is of particular relevance to the sound. Between 450 Hz and 2500 Hz the SOLITAIRE P with its new pads produces a 2 dB less sound pressure - and even below 50 Hz the headphones, according to the manufacturer, radiates a 1 dB reduction in low frequencies.

And while the two pairs of pads play at the same level in the fundamental, the high frequency range from 8,000 Hz is boosted by up to 1 dB. Therefore the new tuning by the Ultra Wide pads results in a slightly different listening impression in sound.

By lowering the mid-range completely over more than two octaves, the volume on the HA200 is unconsciously turned up a little higher, resulting in a stronger emphasis and equally slightly brighter voices and instruments in the brilliance range, possibly also due to slight reflections on the hard inner surfaces of the pads.

The SOLITAIRE P thus plays slightly more present at high frequencies with the alternative pads, which also results in a slightly more generous stage image with more pronounced reverberation flags. However, in my opinion very small level differences at high frequencies are celebrated less sensitively compared to the original pads.

Regarding the spatial extension into the depths I can't detect any significant differences. And also with regard to staggering, the new ear pads do not show any advantages in my opinion - on the contrary. Separation and focusing of the musical events in the spatial context the "closed" pads succeed in my opinion even a bit more precise.

In the bass range the deviations are just as marginal, but the perforated pads appear in the mid- and upper bass a little more concise and powerful, due to the new slight U-tuning. As a result, I only use the 8 Ohm impedance setting of the T+A HA200 headphone amplifier with the highest possible damping factor for the new pads.

Personally, I tend to use the original and, in my opinion, somewhat more neutrally tuned ear pad replacement. This is because the alternative version often encourages me to make ambitious changes to the volume control in order to increase the audibility of details in the mid-range, which naturally fade into the background at lower listening levels. And usually I enjoy my music rather at moderate listening volumes.

Nevertheless, the tuning of the new Ultra Wide pads could meet the taste of users with specific demands for a somewhat "more open" high frequency reproduction, who also prefer a brighter tonality. It is not for nothing that many manufacturers tune their ear loudspeakers in a very similar way.

However, I recommend to listen to a sample of the new pads in advance. Because the differences between the two pads described above are on the one hand extremely subtle in nature and on the other hand still a matter of taste, of course. :wink:

Fidelio

Last edited:
Jul 16, 2020 at 6:11 PM Post #123 of 3,248
The price would make it more than the Susvara.
I just realized this due to your comment, but in the US it is 400$ More expensive than the Susvara, while in germany it is 2200€ cheaper than the Susvara.

Hell of a local difference

Aug 9, 2020 at 12:50 PM Post #124 of 3,248
I have been testing the amp and headphones for a while now. Review is up on my YT channel. Absolutely love the combo. Happy to answer any questions. For me, the biggest takeaway is how every genre was handled with aplomb along with their sheer musicality and dynamics and detail.

Selecting a few tracks this are my thoughts.

Lonesome Valley - The Fairfield Four - the vocals on this track are something to behold. Epic in every musical sense. The tone of the singers are phenomenal. If you purchase this headphone and amp system, I can’t stress enough that you need to listen to this song. My hairs were lifting on my arms. It felt as if all the singers were in the room around me. Each singer was clearly positioned within the soundstage. So detailed, so moving.

In My Secret Life - Leonard Cohen - a beautiful warmth of the background singers and then Leonard Cohen sings and it’s a masterclass of vocal reproduction. He feels as if he is in the room with your. His deep tones are wonderfully produced.

Unfinished Symphony - Massive Attack - details the instruments, with deep bass lines. The female vocal is clear as day. Excellent separation.

Last edited:
Aug 11, 2020 at 12:26 PM Post #125 of 3,248
How does the T+A HA200 pair with other headphones? I have not yet tried it with the Solitaire, but am now wondering based on posted comments if it is not compensating a bit for the deficiences I noted in the Solitaire/Bartok combination. For example if it is a forward sounding amp with a bit of emphasis in the upper midrange/lower treble, then the lack of jump factor might be ameliorated. The Bartok tends toward relaxed and smooth and perhaps that's just not a good match with the Solitaire.

A good test would be to use the HA200 with the Utopia. If that combination falls to the leaner, brighter side of neutral then that would explain everything. The lack of synergy between the Euforia and Solitaire is an indication.

This hobby is certainly designed to drain one's wallet!

It looks like this is still the million dollar question...

Actually the HA 200 does have a line out. Unfortunately it is on the front panel. The 4-pin XLR can be used as a line out. Not living room friendly for sure.
HA 200 User Manual: https://www.ta-hifi.de/wp-content/uploads/UM_HA200_100_DE_EN-1.pdf

I haven't seen it being mentioned anywhere in the manual. Did I miss it?

Aug 11, 2020 at 5:22 PM Post #128 of 3,248
Interesting, still didn't see it. Can you please point me to the line that mentions that XLR HP out can be used as a line/pre-out?
No, it's time for me to head to my bed.

I'll see if I can find time tomorrow but I wouldn't have bothered to post that if it wasn't there.

Aug 11, 2020 at 5:33 PM Post #129 of 3,248
No, it's time for me to head to my bed.
I'll see if I can find time tomorrow but I wouldn't have bothered to post that if it wasn't there.

Someone from T+A wrote in another forum that "This device is not intended to be a standard DAC with standard line or pre-amp outputs.
It was designed as a no-compromise Headphone DAC - purely and solely with the aim to get the best out of the very best headphones.

Who is looking for a DAC with XLR/RCA outputs to drive amplifiers/pre-amps will be better off with a DAC8DSD which has many of the features in common with the HA 200 but intended to drive amplifiers.
"

https://audiophilestyle.com/forums/topic/58634-ta-ha-200-dsd1024-dac-headphone-amp/

which is the reason I was surprised.

Aug 12, 2020 at 3:51 AM Post #130 of 3,248
Aug 12, 2020 at 4:00 AM Post #131 of 3,248
Sorry, it's not in the manual. It's in the brochure which can also be dowloaded from the T+A website:

https://www.ta-hifi.de/wp-content/uploads/HA_200_8_Seiter_GB.pdf

https://www.ta-hifi.de/wp-content/uploads/HA_200_8_Seiter_DE.pdf

"A supplementary stereo output stage can be connected to the XLR 4-pin output." Thanks. It is very interesting that they do not mention it anywhere else. Normally the XLR outputs have more than 100+ ohms of output impedance and XLR inputs have 10+ kohms of input impedance. I wonder how that will work.

I will try to reach the T+A and clarify this point. If I find out anything I will let you guys know. Cheers.

EDIT: By the way it says "stereo output stage" rather than input stage. I think we need a clarification here.

Last edited:
Aug 12, 2020 at 4:26 AM Post #132 of 3,248
OK, all good. I called T+A and asked about it. They said it can be used as a pre-amp from the XLR output without any issues, and they also provide the 4-pin XLR to 2x 3-pin cable, if asked for. I also asked why they don't mention it in the manual and maybe they should add it, as it is one of the main points that turns off people from buying it, and he said that they prefer to classify it as a HP DAC / amplifier only.

Last edited:
Aug 16, 2020 at 12:49 PM Post #134 of 3,248
More and more seriously I am considering the HA200 to pair with the D9200, D8000 Pro and HD800 trio. Apparently T+A officially sells a cable for using the HA200 as a preamp (it is a standart XLR 4 pin to RCA cable with a fancy T+A label, I guess) . Here is one from a German site:

https://www.radiokoerner.de/t-a-4-pin-zu-cinch-adapter-fuer-ha-200.html

"This adapter enables you to transform your T+A HA 200 headphone amplifier into a high-quality DAC/pre-amplifier with analogue and digital inputs. Use the adapter to connect the 4-pin XLR output (centre socket) on the front panel of the T+A HA 200 to a (stereo) power amplifier or active loudspeakers of your choice (analogue Cinch input)."

Last edited:
Aug 19, 2020 at 6:55 AM Post #135 of 3,248
Can't say I am up to date with things, but I was looking around for what's new on the audio scene. Along the wa..y... VU METERS!!!
And then I saw the price...
200.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back