T+A Solitaire P planar magnetostatic
Mar 24, 2021 at 1:49 PM Post #752 of 3,196
I'm soooooo excited ........

I couldn't help but share ....

T+A Solitaire P and HA200 are incoming.....

I hope these are at least 30% better than my iems!

Scratch that itch baby!!

Good choice! You can use this time to prepare your play lists. :)

As IEMs, I have the A18t and for me the difference is uncountable. I use the A18t only when I am going out and don't even touch it when I am at home.

When you receive your toys, give them some time, especially if you are coming from bright sounding transducers. HA200 is a very versatile device and the P reacts well to subtle changes - it is very transparent. Depending on the recording (or the state of my ears) I adjust the EQ, like -2dB for bass and / or +2dB for treble.

Even older recordings sound awesome with this duo. I was listening to Magma recordings today. Even they are a new experience altogether. Magma is for sure the most fun progressive / space / demonic / fun ball 70's band for me, and those two pieces were kind of in loop. :)

Last edited:
Mar 25, 2021 at 5:11 AM Post #753 of 3,196
I am intrigued by the T+A Solirtaire P but wonder if these may be too mellow compared to my susvara? I have recently demoed the Final D8000 Pro and Utopia and still prefer the susvara although the Utopia were quite good.

I don't really need a second hp, but thought it might be fun to change things up a bit. Once I heard the deatil and clarity of the susvara I sold my beloved Empy's and may also be selling my VO.
I know the obvious choice is the 1266 TC but I've read too many posts about comfort wearing the TC.

Perhaps at some point I'll get to demo the T+A P or buy with a return option. At $6400 US I want to be sure these are for me!

Mar 25, 2021 at 5:15 AM Post #754 of 3,196
I have recently demoed the Final D8000 Pro
And what is your opinion on it? As I understand Susvara is more a fun signature, I am imagining a grander version of D8000 Pro, which has a smaller and more compressed image.

Solitaire P is a transparent and true to the source HP. So the mix inconsistencies are more audible, compared to D8000 Pro. I find the Utopia signature exaggerated, unnatural and offensive. If that is really what you like, Solitaire P might not be for you.

Last edited:
Mar 25, 2021 at 11:41 AM Post #755 of 3,196
My P had a problem with the headband as I bought it (which was a demo item - one side was a bit lose compared to the other) but I kept it as I was told that T+A was a bit busy during new years time. And I was listening to it nearly everyday. Last week I sent it to T+A, they received it on Thursday, Friday morning I received an email that they are sending me a new one and Monday I received a brand new P. Such a fast and great service!

This of course gave me the possibility of testing the P and P-SE fresh(er). By the way, I was talking to the dealer today and he told me how surprised he was about the change in sound after running it only for a day, before I mentioned anything.

There is not much change from my initial impressions. Still I find the P clearer than P-SE and a little bit more treble. I find the mids of P-SE slightly more recessed. The image of P is taller and deeper, and P-SE image is shorter and nor as deep - which gives the impression that the P-SE image being positioned lower and as it is not as larger, giving a feeling of being more "enclosed" in your head. I find the P image closer.

Interestingly, I didn't notice a big gap for the driving power requirement this time. P sounded louder but not by a huge margin.

I guess not many are interested but I will gather my impressions for P vs P-SE with sound samples hopefully on the weekend stop flooding here.

Last edited:
Mar 25, 2021 at 11:53 PM Post #756 of 3,196
And what is your opinion on it? As I understand Susvara is more a fun signature, I am imagining a grander version of D8000 Pro, which has a smaller and more compressed image.

Solitaire P is a transparent and true to the source HP. So the mix inconsistencies are more audible, compared to D8000 Pro. I find the Utopia signature exaggerated, unnatural and offensive. If that is really what you like, Solitaire P might not be for you.

I have not heard the Susvara being referred to as a fun signature, but perhaps it is and maybe that's why I like it! The level of detail and clarity that I found with the Susvara and has ruined me (so far) for other headphones.

Yes, I did like the Utopia more than the D8000 Pro!
I found the bass of the D8K nice and deep but something about it's tuning was off to me and for MY ears.

When I ran through my test tracks I had to skip some with the D8000 that sound glorious with the Susvara and very nice with the Empy (sold) and ZMF VO.

I find the T+A, P intriguing. If it is closer to the D8K sound than these other headphones, particularly the Susvara and Utopia, it might not be the headphone for me, but you never know until you actually hear it!!!!
Somehow I can see a T+A , P in my future. I can't explain it but it is oddly compelling......

My ears and preferences / Your ears and preferences

Last edited:
Mar 26, 2021 at 11:55 AM Post #757 of 3,196
I have not heard the Susvara being referred to as a fun signature, but perhaps it is and maybe that's why I like it! The level of detail and clarity that I found with the Susvara and has ruined me (so far) for other headphones.

Yes, I did like the Utopia more than the D8000 Pro!
I found the bass of the D8K nice and deep but something about it's tuning was off to me and for MY ears.

When I ran through my test tracks I had to skip some with the D8000 that sound glorious with the Susvara and very nice with the Empy (sold) and ZMF VO.

I find the T+A, P intriguing. If it is closer to the D8K sound than these other headphones, particularly the Susvara and Utopia, it might not be the headphone for me, but you never know until you actually hear it!!!!
Somehow I can see a T+A , P in my future. I can't explain it but it is oddly compelling......

My ears and preferences / Your ears and preferences

You are right, it is all preferences. My D8000 Pro is now available for sale and today I wanted to give it another try. But looks like after listening to Solitaire P in the last months my preferences shifted a lot. I am sure if I stop listening to P and just listen to D8000P for a couple of weeks, my preferences will shift towards D8000P. So adaptive is the human auditory system. I remember trying the P first time (I probably have written it here in this thread), I wouldn't say I was too impressed after listening to D8000P, but, just as you mentioned, something pulled me towards it as it was a different experience. At the time, I was also considering a Stax 009s setup, but as I also wanted to have a more mobile system, Solitaire P was, for me, as close as it gets to an e-stat system without losing musicality and maybe the best bass I have ever heard on a HP (D8000P is also great in that respect).

What I call "fun" is not TH900 fun, but rather something that makes not-the-best-recordings more enjoyable to listen to. D8000 Pro is this kind of a HP. It is very good balance of dynamics, details, tuning and compression effect. Solitaire P may not be. I guess human auditory sensitivity in the midrange is not linear, and the Solitaire P midrange tuning is close to a border attenuation after which some ears might be asking for considerably more energy in that region for more clarity perception. That border is also not a single line but rather a region, with an adaptive EQ.

The mids of D8000 is also leaner than Utopia, and probably Susvara (details, speed, punch etc. aside). So for anyone that is OK with listening to Utopia for more than an hour, occasionally (for some recordings) D8000P and for sure Solitaire P might be too lean. Whether your ears can adopt to it, how broad is the adaptive region for you, or you would like to invest the time for it, is another thing.

For me Solitaire P is a platform, rather than just a headphone. It is relatively OK in weight, very comfortable, highly capable of technicalities and can be driven well from a portable device. I listen to very different kinds of music, some old recordings and I sometimes feel the need to EQ a bit (reduce bass or bump like 2-3 dB in the midrange) but I am open minded about EQ, as I think it brings the most out of a HP - there is simply no perfect HP that would work with all types of ears, music types and recordings.

In any case, I don't think any of those TOTL HPs would be anything less than spectacular for a certain scenario and / or person. Solitaire P is just one of the options.

Last edited:
Mar 26, 2021 at 4:55 PM Post #758 of 3,196
I am intrigued by the T+A Solirtaire P but wonder if these may be too mellow compared to my susvara? I have recently demoed the Final D8000 Pro and Utopia and still prefer the susvara although the Utopia were quite good.

I don't really need a second hp, but thought it might be fun to change things up a bit. Once I heard the deatil and clarity of the susvara I sold my beloved Empy's and may also be selling my VO.
I know the obvious choice is the 1266 TC but I've read too many posts about comfort wearing the TC.

Perhaps at some point I'll get to demo the T+A P or buy with a return option. At $6400 US I want to be sure these are for me!
I can't compare it to the Susvara. I have only heard that only once shortly. That was so airy that I was missing the body from the sound :) . Maybe it was up to the amp (Burson Conductor3 Reference).

You were an Empy fan. I am an Empy fan. The Solitaire P is VERY different in the way that it is much more detailled and has sharper focus. My favourite example is that you can pinpoint someone in a chore with it who missed a note :) . It also lacks the mid bass thump that makes the Empy so sweet for me. Many people woud consider it as advantage. At classical music and jazz definitely it is. For EDM one can help with a bit of bass boost.

The sooner you try the sooner you can decide if it is for you. The only risk it that you do not want to send it back any more :)

Mar 26, 2021 at 5:08 PM Post #759 of 3,196
I can't compare it to the Susvara. I have only heard that only once shortly. That was so airy that I was missing the body from the sound :) . Maybe it was up to the amp (Burson Conductor3 Reference).

You were an Empy fan. I am an Empy fan. The Solitaire P is VERY different in the way that it is much more detailled and has sharper focus. My favourite example is that you can pinpoint someone in a chore with it who missed a note :) . It also lacks the mid bass thump that makes the Empy so sweet for me. Many people woud consider it as advantage. At classical music and jazz definitely it is. For EDM one can help with a bit of bass boost.

The sooner you try the sooner you can decide if it is for you. The only risk it that you do not want to send it back any more :)
Thanks, Newsee!

If I could find a T+A dealer with a 30 day (or 7 for that matter) return option I'd buy the T+A, P today.
I am working on getting a demo P from a dealer and, if that happens and I like what i hear, I would not hesitate to buy the T+A P !

Last edited:
Mar 29, 2021 at 11:00 AM Post #760 of 3,196
Well thanks guys!

I'm posting this in both the Solitaire P and Susvara threads as both have been useful in getting me here.....

My T+A Solitaire P and HA200 arrived today. :astonished:

I can't compare these to any other headphones/amps as I haven't had any before - and probably/hopefully won't :relaxed: :thinking:.

I just dived off the deep end and went for TOTL as based on my trials and tribulations I have wasted a lot of time and money getting to where I want to with daps/iems.

I just wanted to cut to the chase, as you've probably guessed if you've read any of my disrespectful past posts!

And I'm completely blown away!

Cheers for putting up with me and the advice and encouragement!

Nice one!

Back to stalking!

Mar 29, 2021 at 11:04 AM Post #761 of 3,196
Well thanks guys!

I'm posting this in both the Solitaire P and Susvara threads as both have been useful in getting me here.....

I can't compare these to any other headphones/amps as I haven't had any before - and probably/hopefully won't :relaxed: :thinking:.

I just dived off the deep end and went for TOTL as based on my trials and tribulations I have wasted a lot of time and money getting to where I want to with daps/iems.

I just wanted to cut to the chase, as you've probably guessed if you've read any of my disrespectful past posts!

Nice one!

Back to stalking!
Enjoy your endgame setup, it's truly among the best!

Mar 29, 2021 at 2:31 PM Post #762 of 3,196
Well thanks guys!

Nice one!

Back to stalking!
Enjoy! :) You have one of the best HP setups in the market which will make you rediscover the music you loved. After I got the P/HA200 I couldn't stop listening to it for days! Fortunately I was doing home office and nothing could separate me from my duo. :)

In the meanwhile, today we received the RME ADI-2 which is going to be powering the P-SE on my wife's studio desk. SMSL SP400 was what we got before the ADI-2, but I wasn't happy with the DAC performance of the interface she was using, so dropped that option. It is going back.

But I have to admit, that RME device is a little wonder. Paired with SP400 does not reach the level of HA200 (especially in instrument separation) but it is for sure a great sounding pair I could happily live with if I didn't have the HA200.

1617042624561.png

Last edited:
Mar 31, 2021 at 2:06 PM Post #764 of 3,196
I can't take mine off my head :astonished:

Is that normal?
After I got mine, I started listening in the morning, had breaks only for meetings or food, and I went on listening after I am done with the work. There are very few days (if any) I didn't listen at least an hour. That lean and comfortable tuning is what makes it possible without overwhelming your ears. I haven't had this experience with any other HP.

Listening now to the live recording of Magma's "Mëkanïk Dëstruktïw Kömmandöh" (any other Magma fans?).

Last edited:
Mar 31, 2021 at 2:30 PM Post #765 of 3,196
After I got mine, I started listening in the morning, had breaks only for meetings or food, and I went on listening after I am done with the work. There are very few days (if any) I didn't listen at least an hour. That lean and comfortable tuning is what makes it possible without overwhelming your ears. I haven't had this experience with any other HP.
I was expecting a touch of buyers remorse; there is none.

I listen at least 3 hours a day.

My neck muscles are developing but my ear canals are fresh (iem bores have got wider over the years).

Being an iem man I was stalking the mythical traillii - but for the price - I took this turn instead.

I'm so glad I did.

I pressed some head-fiers on the difference between totl iems and headphones and the opinions varied - but mainly hp positive.

iems certainly have their place but this is a whole different level imo.

Brilliant!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back