T+A Solitaire P planar magnetostatic
Oct 2, 2023 at 7:15 PM Post #3,076 of 3,205
Any thoughts on the Solitaire P with the Ferrum Oor? Anyone tried this combination yet?

I had the ferrum stack a while back. it is ok with the SolP. more than enough power, and never like it runs out of gas. with the stock pads, a bit of a bloomy low end and rather rounded highs. reminds me of the Empyrean. I prefer to run it in high gain with the stock pads for a slightly more upper mid boost, otherwise it is just a bit too laid back for my preferences. with ultra wide pads on the P, I prefer the Ferrum in normal gain.

I'd take the SolP on my wa33 or HM1 over the ferrum stack, and SolP with my pre power combo over everything else.

Oct 4, 2023 at 4:03 AM Post #3,077 of 3,205
Hi all,

I just left Canjam and tried the Solitaire P for the first time out of their HA200 headphone amp/dac and I was blown away.

It made me research them more..and I saw the SDV 3100 is the flagship...but not necessarily meant for headphone in that class. Only 4.4mm and 3.5mm (no 4-pin XLR). Not a big deal I'm sure...but just made me wonder...which is the best pairing with the Solitaire?

I tried the Solitaire P on non T+A flagship gear...but it lost the holographic realism...so definitely need something of their gear to drive these P series.

I am strictly going headphone, no speakers. And of course the HDV 3100 is much more, but if it is going to improve the Solitaire P...I'll definitely go for it.

Appreciate your insights! Thank you so much!!
I haven't tried the SDV 3100 HV, but just for HP listening (if it has to be T+A). I would go with the HA200. As ThanatosVI also mentioned, HA200 is a headphone only device with features like loudness compensation, crossfeed, output impedance adjustment and a nice bass/treble EQ. I also expect it to be more powerful (I remember reading this information somewhere, but I don't remember where - it has been a long time).

Oct 4, 2023 at 9:39 PM Post #3,079 of 3,205
Thank you so much @ThanatosVI and @Droffen Very kind of you to reply so quickly! Really appreciate the guidance here. I will contact them as well...but I think the HA200 considering those settings options and native fit for the headphones...not to mention price! Will likely start there...unless HDV 3100 is truly something that is game changing for the Solitaire P. Thanks again!!
Stick with the HA200 as it will drive other headphones as well and has a very good DAC in the DAC 200 which some have been lauding as the best DAC under $20,000. I have heard neither of the 200 series, but there are some great reviews of the HA200 out there. I have not owned the P, but did own the P-SE and absolutely loved it. I should have gone for the P as the P-SE was missing the note saturation that the P has. Plus, there is just something sexy about how their gear looks. A buddy is about to buy the DAC 200, he is pretty excited.

Oct 14, 2023 at 12:29 AM Post #3,080 of 3,205
53256800924_6c480351c4_k.jpg

the SolP really deserves more love on this forum!

I've been having new toy syndrome and doing a lot of listening with the Utopia + Zähl. decided to make today a SolP day and am immediately reminded of why I love this hp so much.

so comfortable to wear and so easy to get lost in the music.

The SolP sounds great when running with the Cary SLP-05 preamp in the chain. with my dedicated headphone amps, I get a strong L and R placement but almost too strong and outwards more horizontal in a blob; it's like u know the sound of the L and R elements are coming from the drivers. with the Cary, the imaging and placement is much more holographic, more 3d in the sense it's not so much more of a blob of sound coming from the L and R drivers, but they're placed on a space/plane I can visualize in my head when I close my eyes.

Oct 27, 2023 at 5:27 PM Post #3,081 of 3,205
I was torn between the SolP, Caldera ond Rognir Planar to compliment a D8Kpro, Clear MG and Kennerton Magni. More so D8Kpro because since having those I probably only buy another "mid level" HP when both the MG and Magni stop working.

I was sure that I had to listen instead of buying blind again like everything else before. The store I went to had 80%+ of TOTL HPs I'm aware of. Bad idea because I quickly realised I could pick quite a few and be happy. Except that ordial, 2 times driver fail with the Clear OG... lesson learned, only buy equipment that "won't" fail. T+A right? Aren't they able to servicing 30+ years old devices?

Next day a mint demo SolP from Pierre at headonist showed up, all a coincidence they keep saying... 3.3k thanks, send it!
a very fine headphone that I owned,simply mispriced...
and Pierre sent it!
and the used market price should be ~$3500.
So I was kinda forced to buy them, right?

Similar to the D8Kpro, in some aspects but I was looking for and found the right HP for those peaky leaning tracks... got that going.

Bass, well yeah. The rock I build my house on.

That head band pressure point situation was immediately noticeable. Damn. Realised HPs MUST be comfortable to wear!!!

Quickly adjusted, huh... also with the help of a knitted protective cover. Which will be replaced with a strip of felt from sheep wool. Sturdier, so no worries and why are there still HPs that don't have SolP like shaped cups? Right amount of clamp, too heavy? Maybe for those who use HPs while working on their PCs.

I had a few days off and was amazed how easily 5+ hours have passed on these. Day after day, wow. Effortless, inviting, comfey in the sense of "having taken a deep breath now". Great sense of space, a gentle giant type of HP.

Don't poke the bear, right? The more juice the more convinced I am to have made the right joice. Always struggle with the D8Kpro at higher levels when the drivers start clipping. The louder the better? No! but you can count on them when you "have to" crank it up.
Somewhere in this thread one mentioned "they are made for loud listening" quickly comes too mind. Kind of agree.

Too warm, not enough detail? The first thing I was sure to hear. Details are here... and I don't even have too "hunt" for it. Easy to follow different lines. Contrary to common believe - hell is a COLD place!

Next stop, adapters for Lavri Grand. Listening on Ferrum stack and X26pro right now.
I had the ferrum stack a while back. it is ok with the SolP. more than enough power, and never like it runs out of gas. with the stock pads, a bit of a bloomy low end and rather rounded highs
I believe that but what else to get then your Zähl or Wa33... JPL, right?
I would go with the HA200.
Maybe mostly because of the DAC inside...
Stick with the HA200 as it will drive other headphones as well and has a very good DAC in the DAC 200 which some have been lauding as the best DAC under $20,000.
well well, have heard that before!

Maybe I'll go full AGD or DAC 200+Niimbus.
Then I heard it out of the Holo Audio May/Bliss stack and was wowed by it.
Maybe that?

@ThanatosVI how do they sound on the Envy? If you've heard that...

Will replace DAC and Amp withing the next year.

I strongly suspect the SolP will scale up.

T ++ A or T+AAA, but seriously... great HP. Like Focal - first HP put on the market like that! speaks for itself.
Enjoy, certainly one of the best headphones money can buy!

Oct 27, 2023 at 5:33 PM Post #3,082 of 3,205
I was torn between the SolP, Caldera ond Rognir Planar to compliment a D8Kpro, Clear MG and Kennerton Magni. More so D8Kpro because since having those I probably only buy another "mid level" HP when both the MG and Magni stop working.

I was sure that I had to listen instead of buying blind again like everything else before. The store I went to had 80%+ of TOTL HPs I'm aware of. Bad idea because I quickly realised I could pick quite a few and be happy. Except that ordial, 2 times driver fail with the Clear OG... lesson learned, only buy equipment that "won't" fail. T+A right? Aren't they able to servicing 30+ years old devices?

Next day a mint demo SolP from Pierre at headonist showed up, all a coincidence they keep saying... 3.3k thanks, send it!

and Pierre sent it!

Similar to the D8Kpro, in some aspects but I was looking for and found the right HP for those peaky leaning tracks... got that going.

That head band pressure point situation was immediately noticeable. Damn. Realised HPs MUST be comfortable to wear!!!

Quickly adjusted, huh... also with the help of a knitted protective cover. Which will be replaced with a strip of felt from sheep wool. Sturdier, so no worries and why are there still HPs that don't have SolP like shaped cups? Right amount of clamp, too heavy? Maybe for those who use HPs while working on their PCs.

I had a few days off and was amazed how easily 5+ hours have passed on these. Day after day, wow. Effortless, inviting, comfey in the sense of "having taken a deep breath now". Great sense of space, a gentle giant type of HP.

Don't poke the bear, right? The more juice the more convinced I am to have made the right joice. Always struggle with the D8Kpro at higher levels when the drivers start clipping. The louder the better? No! but you can count on them when you "have to" crank it up.
Somewhere in this thread one mentioned "they are made for loud listening" quickly comes too mind. Kind of agree.

Too warm, not enough detail? The first thing I was sure to hear. Details are here... and I don't even have too "hunt" for it. Easy to follow different lines. Contrary to common believe - hell is a COLD place!

Next stop, adapters for Lavri Grand. Listening on Ferrum stack and X26pro right now.

Maybe that?

T ++ A or T+AAA, but seriously... great HP. Like Focal - first HP put on the market like that! speaks for itself.

Congrats man!
try out the oratory eq for the SolP. with the stock pads. it is a very good eq and takes takes transparency and sweetness of the highs up a few notches.

Oct 27, 2023 at 5:34 PM Post #3,083 of 3,205

The Sol P has definitely grown on me. I cannot speak to the Envy specifically but the headphone sounds awesome on my 300B head amp.

Oct 27, 2023 at 5:43 PM Post #3,084 of 3,205

and Pierre sent it!

Maybe that?

Unfortunately my Envy had so much delay, that I couldn't audition the Solitaire P on it.

However I have a feeling that it also sounds amazing.
The Envy brought out the best in all of my headphones.

Oct 27, 2023 at 5:44 PM Post #3,085 of 3,205

and Pierre sent it!

Maybe that?

Congrats!
I ve had these once powered out of Ferrum stack as well as HA200.
As it was mentioned before I think Ferrum Stack is leaning a bit warm with a relatively intimate stage and thereby good for romantic cosy listening and with the right headphones like Meze Elite or Susvara I was / am quite happy with it.
For SolP HA200 was the best source I've had been listening to, might be the DAC or amp or both as this headphone was developed on top of that device.
Stage was bigger, wider, overall more transparent.
Didn't like my Meze Elite with HA200 on the other hand as much as with my Ferrum-Holo stack.
I think HA200 is leaning more to neutral bright and that is a good synergy with the relatively laid back and muted high registers of SolP.
Other more neutral brightish sources like Chord TT2 have been mentioned in this thread likely for the same reason.

Maybe you can just demo one of those in a shop and make up your mind?

PS: have had some Topping A70pro lately though not with SolP and that could maybe also be an interesting Amp with a more transparent but nevertheless good low end thump with spades of Power for anything at an unbeatable price.
But it's transistor architecture and not real Class A

Oct 27, 2023 at 9:39 PM Post #3,086 of 3,205
@ChJL Just tried the Sol P on the Envy.

its quite good. The bass response is very textured, physical, and digs deep. Its not the same as say the 1266, but its a lot of fun.
Not sure if I'd throw 6-8k around for it, but I can definitely tell ya its enjoyable.
Fwiw I havent tube rolled on the envy, but I'm sure it gets even better with Elrogs (or so I hear).

Nov 4, 2023 at 10:48 PM Post #3,087 of 3,205
while the HA200 is great, try upscaling your stuff to dsd on it . Their dsd converter/decoder is really good and imo, it brings it to a completely different level

Nov 4, 2023 at 10:56 PM Post #3,088 of 3,205
while the HA200 is great, try upscaling your stuff to dsd on it . Their dsd converter/decoder is really good and imo, it brings it to a completely different level
What upscaling / DSD settings are you using?

Nov 5, 2023 at 11:01 AM Post #3,090 of 3,205
I'm just using roon and upscaling to dsd256, not higher cause i'm on wifi
I see. Was hoping to share HQP settings notes but no worries. Thank you.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back