T+A Solitaire P planar magnetostatic
Dec 20, 2020 at 3:07 PM Post #211 of 3,200
Is it hard to firmly attach it?
I ordered adapters which I won't have to remove ever again (unless they die, but how unlikely is that)

So my concern is more with the attachment not the removal.

Your posts are very welcome so keep the flood flowing

Thanks. Unfortunately I didn't attach it, as I cannot feel if it did properly sit or not. It is really deep. Also I wasn't sure if I will simply be able to pull it out.

Actually, the stock cables are something I don't like. They are all 3 meters and are rubbery. I am just praying that our 3 cats won't notice it! :beyersmile: They would love to chew it! I also would prefer a shorter cable, they don't have one even on T+A official accessories page. And then they have these connectors. But at least it is not as bad as the D8000 stock cable, on the right. What were they thinking! You can easily use it to power a whole city!

1608494647087.png

Dec 20, 2020 at 6:48 PM Post #212 of 3,200
In the end, I decided to keep the Solitaire P. It is a demo unit, so I got a good price offer / drop on it plus the VAT drop in Germany. It is not going to replace my D8000 Pro or D9200 (replaced Stellia, which costs about double its price). I have been listening to different recordings since Friday, also invited the third player, D9200, in the game.

There are scenarios (and temporary preferences) that doesn't benefit much from the large space and might make some instruments sound iffy, in which case I prefer the more tight envelope of D8000 more. It gives a better texture feeling, but actually in real life and live listening one would rarely have this intimacy and well enveloped texture. Also there is a bit of more "air" with D8000 and D9200 which I can imagine might be a preference in certain cases, but this is also something more nitpicking which is more noticeable if you switch back and forth between the HPs, but the feeling subsidies in seconds. For example this little piece from Alain Perez & Omara Portuondo album ADN, one might prefer the D8000 / D9200 sound (side note, I cannot believe Omara was over 80 as she recorded this and have this control over her voice):

I think main question could have been, how the vocals will sound. I tried different well made recordings of Cecilia Bartoli, Ghada Shbeir, and female vocals actually rendered extremely well which does not need the unnatural extra push of Focals. I mainly listened to my wife's album and had her listen to it (she just hates listening to it), who is a Stellia fan, and she was very impressed with the rendition. For example, with this piece, it is easier to hear some nuances with D8000 and the vocals pop up more, but with the Solitaire P, you are inside the room, and all the bowed instruments are rendered more emotional (the "strange" instrument you year at 0:14 and 1:41 is called a singing saw):

The subtle back vocals merge better with the main vocals here.

I don't think it is lacking any details. On the contrary, it can easily fill up the space with reverberations and harmonics. But as said, this expansive sound makes the mixing issues related to locations and recording space differences more visible. It is not a "throw whatever you want at it and it will sound as good" HP like D8000 Pro.

Congratulations! I wanted to persuade you to keep the Solitaire as you have the HA200 already. They are a phenomenal duo. But I am late :o2smile:

Dec 21, 2020 at 1:05 AM Post #213 of 3,200
One last comment, for the heavy gain music. Here the subtle compressed and closer rendition of D8000 Pro helps. For example, this piece from the last album of Nile, Vile Nilotic Rites. Guitars sound disconnected from the bass and drums. Don't get me wrong, it is still great but I would probably even prefer my D9200 over Solitaire for listening to this kind of mix. D9200 is a _very_ clear and balanced sounding HP and I would never see it as less, just because it costs less. For me it is the most underrated HP ever! It is closed, yes, but it is nearly a ringing free experience, which amazes me every time I listen to it. I think one can with a less budget can easily grab a D9200 and enjoy having a TOTL sounding HP, which is closed, light and comfortable. Anyway, here is the piece:

It is again a problem with the mix: Strong kicks, very 3D drums and bass, massive sounding splashy cymbals, but very flat guitars. But it does not have to be, just as in the original mastering (I don't like the 2004 remaster) of the Megadeth's Train of Consequences. It sounds awesome with Solitaire:

So, if you want to be mix independent for high gain music, if you have enough money to buy Solitire P, D8000 Pro and D9200, I would highly recommend here the D9200, and with the remaining money you can upgrade your amp. It will leak less, sound in general more satisfying. In fact, for anyone looking for a closed back, I would highly recommend the D9200. Next choice would be D8000 Pro and then Solitaire, if you want to be on the safe side - that is for high gain music.

Hi sir, D9200 is Denon AH D9200 ?

Dec 21, 2020 at 4:20 AM Post #214 of 3,200
Hi sir, D9200 is Denon AH D9200 ?

Yes, it is the Denon AH D9200. I had the Stellia as I bought the D9200, and sold the Stellia with no regrets. The clarity and balance in the mids gave me a wow effect as soon as I put them on first time. It has a slight, yummy U signature.

Congratulations! I wanted to persuade you to keep the Solitaire as you have the HA200 already. They are a phenomenal duo. But I am late :o2smile:

Thank you! I can declare that I am done and fully satisfied with what I have, having reached my endgame configuration.

Dec 22, 2020 at 7:30 AM Post #215 of 3,200
So the official Statement regarding Solitaire P vs P-SE is, that they are generally tuned the same and aim for the same sound.

The Solitaire P has a little more power in the bass Region and better control tho.
Differences are supposed to be Minor, yet they recommend a listening test.

Dec 22, 2020 at 10:13 AM Post #216 of 3,200
I was able to listen to the Solitare P at the dealer of my trust.
As an amp a Paltauf KHV ESD, wonderful AMP.

For me the sound was a real disappointment, I developed a disharmony relatively quickly, out of round ... smooth stage ... In direct comparison a Staxx 009, Dan Clark Ether 2 and Hifiman Arya belonged.
Also the Ether 2 for the first time ... I liked it very much, I now have it at home for a few days to test. From my point of view, T + A has to go a long way, and I'm really excited about the new model.

Dec 22, 2020 at 11:04 AM Post #217 of 3,200
So the official Statement regarding Solitaire P vs P-SE is, that they are generally tuned the same and aim for the same sound.

The Solitaire P has a little more power in the bass Region and better control tho.
Differences are supposed to be Minor, yet they recommend a listening test.

So they will stand behind the P signature.

I have been running the Solitaire P overnight last three days and also listening to music during the day. I guess I should have about 60 hours on it right now. I have also been playing with EQing (not parametric EQ, that's for later). For the bass, I am not sure if it is me or the burn in helped, it seem to have settled for less and more focused, a well rounded and clear textured bass.

With the EQ (it was a very simple one, I would like to test with a proper PEQ), I added about +2dB to the air frequencies (>12kHz) and between +1dB to +2.5dB for the presence and body (>1kHz) and it makes quite a difference, closer to the D8000 Pro, but of course more distant and a taller image, which I like.

As an amp a Paltauf KHV ESD, wonderful AMP.

I don't know this amp but if it is warm one, it will not work with well with the Solitaire P, as it is already a warm headphone. It is also very much recording / mix dependent. As an amp, something like the HA200 or the HPA4 is the better way to go.

Last edited:
Dec 22, 2020 at 11:44 AM Post #218 of 3,200
I don't know this amp but if it is warm one, it will not work with well with the Solitaire P, as it is already a warm headphone. It is also very much recording / mix dependent. As an amp, something like the HA200 or the HPA4 is the better way to go.

I've heard a lot about the Solitare, different head pads, wrong amp, too warm ... I can't call it warm and maybe it's just because it's not mature enough.

However, I don't use the EQ with any dose, which contradicts my requirements :wink:

Last edited:
Dec 22, 2020 at 11:53 AM Post #219 of 3,200
I've heard a lot about the Solitare, different head pads, wrong amp, too warm ... I can't call it warm and maybe it's just because it's not mature enough.

Then let's say preferences. As I said it before, I don't like Utopia and never understood how this aggressive sound can appeal to human ears, but it is the favorite headphone of many out there. For my ears, Solitaire is excellent for long listening sessions. Its presentation of larger spaces is excellent. High pitched bowed instruments sound softer and more natural. It is not a generic headphone like D8000 Pro, rather like it or hate it one depending on your preferences, music type and recording.

Last edited:
Dec 22, 2020 at 1:09 PM Post #220 of 3,200
As I said it before, I don't like Utopia and never understood how this aggressive sound can appeal to human ears, but it is the favorite headphone of many out there..

with utopia i know a lot of different statements, from annoying to dreamlike.
It is very important to me, I always talk about my point of view ... and I experience many discussions where we talk about completely different sound perceptions of a can :relaxed: :see_no_evil:

I had two audio samples with the T + A, but unfortunately there was no spark. However, I have heard interesting things about the new cheaper.

Dec 22, 2020 at 3:26 PM Post #221 of 3,200

This is how a roller coaster shaped frequency response curve (from the mids upwards) sounds like. It is as simple as that. Without this fundamental weakness, it would be a mature headphone, imo.

Dec 22, 2020 at 4:35 PM Post #222 of 3,200
This is how a roller coaster shaped frequency response curve (from the mids upwards) sounds like. It is as simple as that. Without this fundamental weakness, it would be a mature headphone, imo.

This could become the next Ultrasone case, only with a handful of people (especially in Asla) loving their signature. What I also don't know is how the T+A speakers sound and if T+A somehow tried to stay loyal to that signature. At least I know two people that liked the Solitaire P signature: Me and my wife - she preferred the Solitaire P over D8000 Pro _because_ it is warmer. She liked that she does not have to hear every little noise which distracts from listening to the real music.

Let's see if T+A will stay with that signature or deviate from it.

Dec 23, 2020 at 5:08 AM Post #224 of 3,200
Very important is the Output Impedance of the Amp when you use the Solitaire P...should be not more as 1 or 2 Ohms 😎

NOMAX

PS.when its higher you discolored the tonality/sound 😉

Last edited:
Dec 23, 2020 at 8:19 AM Post #225 of 3,200
I went with Solitaire p. It might sound like a more expensive Empyrean. I’m a bass head so that was a big decision. The Empyrean is one of my favorites. As long as my edm sounds amazing on the Solitaire p I should be happy. I’ll be comparing them to my 1266 tc.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back