T+A Solitaire P planar magnetostatic
Mar 12, 2022 at 4:44 PM Post #1,951 of 3,200
I think there were are discussion earlier in the thread on ultra wide pads. Not sure if anyone has tried it recently and what do you think? Thanks!
I have not tried them recently, but when I first did I was initially impressed with the brighter tonality especially when the SolP was driven by the DCS Bartok which is a really smooth sounding, highly detailed unit. However, at that time I was not able to compare them directly to the standard pads. In hindsight I should have done so because closer listening to the Sol P with standard pads on a number of different systems suggests that the dark, relaxed tonality has less to do with the depressed treble and more to do with a depressed upper midrange/lower treble. In that context, pads that further depress the midrange as well as the bass to give the perception of a brighter tonality is not really what is required.

Almost all reviews I have read by those who have compared both sets of pads directly have indicated a preference for the standard pads. Your impressions might differ though. I find the SolP is quite revealing of the system with which it's used.

Mar 12, 2022 at 5:14 PM Post #1,952 of 3,200
I don't see any listing of these alternate pads for sale at Audio46 or elsewhere (per Google search). At the risk of sounding like a curmudgeon, I would expect a flagship headphone at this price point to include a set of the alternate pads as standard equipment.

In other news, I received the following headband cover from amazon this morning:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B08M5MRZG6/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

It fits (just, with a bit of stretch) the Soli P's headband. Although it's also a synthetic fabric, it feels less prickly to my skin than the factory material. Just for grins, I rubbed my glasses frames against the headband cover, and no squeaking noises, so some synthetics are smoother than others. :relaxed:

Mar 12, 2022 at 5:29 PM Post #1,953 of 3,200
, I would expect a flagship headphone at this price point to include a set of the alternate pads as standard equipment.
Out if curiosity, which manufacturer except for Meze does that?

Mar 12, 2022 at 5:36 PM Post #1,954 of 3,200
How many manufacturers even produce multiple pad options for their cans? If they're going to do it, it seems a bit shortsighted not to include the alternate pads (at least, for expensive flagships). Why lose thousands of dollars to a customer return when s/he might have been happy with a different tuning? IMHO, of course.

Mar 12, 2022 at 5:44 PM Post #1,955 of 3,200

ZMF is another producer of a TOTL can that sells their offering with an alternate set of pads. Pretty sure them, and Meze, are the only ones.

Mar 12, 2022 at 5:45 PM Post #1,956 of 3,200
Mar 12, 2022 at 5:53 PM Post #1,957 of 3,200
ZMF is another producer of a TOTL can that sells their offering with an alternate set of pads. Pretty sure them, and Meze, are the only ones.
And it appears that an alternate set of pads is included with purchase, at least with the VC, which I just checked on their site. I'd assume it's the same for their other high end cans.

Mar 12, 2022 at 5:55 PM Post #1,958 of 3,200
And it appears that an alternate set of pads is included with purchase, at least with the VC, which I just checked on their site. I'd assume it's the same for their other high end cans.
Yes, the VC comes with one extra pair of pads, usually Universe pads, in addition to the stock Auteur pads. If you want a different kind, they'll oblige.

Last edited:
Mar 12, 2022 at 6:27 PM Post #1,959 of 3,200
In the opposite direction T+A Solitaire P comes included with two cables (single ended and balanced), and allow choosing the termination of the balanced one.

[EDIT Both ZMF and]
Meze flagships only come with one cable.

I guess it’s a brand decision on what they feel most people will need to have an option included. T+A has chosen an alternative cable.

Last edited:
Mar 12, 2022 at 6:34 PM Post #1,960 of 3,200
In the opposite direction T+A Solitaire P comes included with two cables (single ended and balanced), and allow chosing the termination of the balanced one.

Both ZMF and Meze flagships only come with one cable.

I guess it’s a brand decision on what they feel most people will need to have an option included. T+A has chosen an alternative cable.

Actually, the ZMF flagship, both Verite Open and Closed, also come with two cables, of your termination choosing.

Mar 12, 2022 at 7:13 PM Post #1,962 of 3,200
In the opposite direction T+A Solitaire P comes included with two cables (single ended and balanced), and allow choosing the termination of the balanced one.

[EDIT Both ZMF and]
Meze flagships only come with one cable.

A high quality 4-pin to 6.3mm adapter dongle can be had for around $20, so the extra cable is superfluous for me. The alternate cable also won't have any effect on the sonics of the headphone, as opposed to different pads.

On a more positive note, the Soli P generally sounds fantastic! Such a beautiful bass... :relaxed:

Mar 15, 2022 at 8:57 AM Post #1,963 of 3,200
oh man the P is totally making me neglect the TC and Sus..

rainy evening and some electro jazz feels..

Screenshot_20220315-205624_Roon.jpg

hqplayer polysincgauss hires lp/asdm7ecv2/dsd256 + phoenix usb + may kte

sublime!

Mar 15, 2022 at 10:01 AM Post #1,964 of 3,200
I just got Solitaire P loner yesterday.
Very nice construction but the right hand headband slider is a little weak and it moves down easy.

They are comfortable but in the heavy side.
My music chain is a Roon server, Bricasti M1SE and Pathos Inpol Ear (later will be a PrimaLuna Dialogue Premium HP).

First I tried them with a balanced Zeus OCC Copper shotgun cable. Immediately noticed a very warm tonality with a little narrow soundstage. Clearly the bass is deep and impactful. Compared to the Susvara with the Axios AG cable the Susvara feels significantly lighter. The sound is more open and airy putting me farther back from the soundstage.

After this I changed to the stock cable (single ended) which I understand it SPC. The tone changed a little reducing the warmth previously heard but without losing it completely. The soundstage open up a little more but still presenting a more intimate soundstage compared to the Susvara. It’s bass still deep, fast and impactful (I really like it ).

IMO the Solitaire P will benefit of a top tier Silver cable.

I think the Solitaire P is a nice complement to the Susvara. So far a I like the Solitaire P but not at $6,900 usd. If the price is in the $4,500 usd range (similar to the Susvara street price) I would buy a pair.

I am keeping them until Friday. Will see how the Solitaire P matches with the PrimeLuna.

Moon Audio Stay updated on Moon Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/MoonAudio/ https://twitter.com/MoonAudio https://instagram.com/moonaudio https://www.moon-audio.com/ https://www.youtube.com/@moon-audio sales@moon-audio.com
Mar 15, 2022 at 10:23 AM Post #1,965 of 3,200

Users who are viewing this thread

Back