T+A Solitaire P planar magnetostatic
Mar 3, 2022 at 12:22 PM Post #1,906 of 3,199
Is anyone who has owned the Solitaire Ps and the utopias able to comment on their respective comfort? I find the utopias sit pretty heavily on top of my head - I’m wondering if the extra padding on the solitaire headband makes them more comfortable to wear for extended periods.

Mar 3, 2022 at 1:18 PM Post #1,907 of 3,199
Is anyone who has owned the Solitaire Ps and the utopias able to comment on their respective comfort? I find the utopias sit pretty heavily on top of my head - I’m wondering if the extra padding on the solitaire headband makes them more comfortable to wear for extended periods.
Despite the thick padding on the P headband I find it uncomfortable to wear for long listening sessions, I think due to the weight and sharp downward curve of the headband. They are HD800 comfortable around the ears though, due to the ear cup space and great pads.

Mar 3, 2022 at 2:05 PM Post #1,908 of 3,199
Despite the thick padding on the P headband I find it uncomfortable to wear for long listening sessions, I think due to the weight and sharp downward curve of the headband. They are HD800 comfortable around the ears though, due to the ear cup space and great pads.
I can concur with everything treebug said in comparison to the HD800 cups and pads. I find all headphones without a good suspension system uncomfortable to wear for many hours on end though due to headband hot spots on my head, now that I think about it though even including some suspension style like the universally loved Empyreans. Susvara are easy to wear for many many hours on end though :) Just means I need less headphone time and more outside time........come on spring.

Mar 3, 2022 at 2:25 PM Post #1,909 of 3,199

Interestingly enough I didn’t have trouble with the headband, no discomfort at all. On the other hand, I find the pads applying a bit more of pressure around the ears than I would like. Nothing major tough, very tolerable.

Goes without saying, but I guess they will be more or less comfortable accordingly with the shape of the head.

Mar 3, 2022 at 2:27 PM Post #1,910 of 3,199
Can anyone specifically comment on the SolP's comfort vs. the Utopia (which lots of people find comfortable but I find sits heavy on the head)?

PS I have a huge head.

Mar 3, 2022 at 3:14 PM Post #1,911 of 3,199
Comments from a user about the Sol P and Sol P SE from the show:

https://www.head-fi.org/threads/can...read-february-26-27-2022.962301/post-16845997

You may or may not agree, but impressions from someone trying these headphones for the first time are always interesting.

I maintain that a quick listen and switching between the Sol P and a brighter headphone is probably not the best way to experience these. They are definitely tuned for longer listening sessions. One reason T+A is able to get away (to a certain extent) with the relaxed tuning is that the inherent resolution of the driver is so high and the distortion so low.

Mar 3, 2022 at 3:29 PM Post #1,912 of 3,199
Can anyone specifically comment on the SolP's comfort vs. the Utopia (which lots of people find comfortable but I find sits heavy on the head)?

PS I have a huge head.
I find the comfort of both to be similar, but the T+A's headband is a bit strange in that the padded section is perhaps a bit shorter than it should be. As a result the non-padded part of the headband does contact the top sides of my head ... something I have not experienced with any other headphone. It is not uncomfortable for me, but I do have a smaller head and suspect that the fit on someone with a larger head would be quite different. I believe @DarginMahkum commented that he had a larger head and fit was an issue for him.

Where in Toronto are you? You could always try the Sol P and P-Se at American Sound in Richmond Hill before taking the plunge. That's where I first auditioned them. They also have both the Bartok and the T+A HA200. Great people to work with and I try to support them whenever it makes financial sense to do so.

Last edited:
Mar 4, 2022 at 1:03 PM Post #1,913 of 3,199
Mar 4, 2022 at 2:46 PM Post #1,917 of 3,199
How does the Solitaire compete with the 1266 TC in bass?
Favorably to my ears in my setup. Not the Temple Vibrating bass (with proper air gap on 1266TC) per se but the depth of it is close in my experience. Close like a 9.25 to the 1266TC's 10 of all TOTL headphones I have listened to. I am not an Olympic Diving Judge though.

Mar 4, 2022 at 2:51 PM Post #1,918 of 3,199
I find the comfort of both to be similar, but the T+A's headband is a bit strange in that the padded section is perhaps a bit shorter than it should be. As a result the non-padded part of the headband does contact the top sides of my head ... something I have not experienced with any other headphone. It is not uncomfortable for me, but I do have a smaller head and suspect that the fit on someone with a larger head would be quite different. I believe @DarginMahkum commented that he had a larger head and fit was an issue for him.

Where in Toronto are you? You could always try the Sol P and P-Se at American Sound in Richmond Hill before taking the plunge. That's where I first auditioned them. They also have both the Bartok and the T+A HA200. Great people to work with and I try to support them whenever it makes financial sense to do so.

I know @DarginMahkum mentioned at one point that he was going to inquire into whether the Solitaire P's headband could be bent outward to accommodate larger heads -- any word on that?

Thanks for the American sound rec -- they only have the P-Se at the moment.

Mar 4, 2022 at 3:09 PM Post #1,920 of 3,199
Thanks. What about a comparison with the Utopia?
The Utopia are fun and dynamic but dynamic driver headphones can't compete with TOTL Planars at this level (to me) and that is likely because I am used to nearfield speakers (Dynaudio) and the differences in Planars vs Dynamic Drivers in headphones soundstage is dramatic. I prefer concert hall like width and depth to my listening, as an example with my nearfield speaker setup the sound is all around me and with headphones I like to get as close to that as possible. The Utopia can't do that like the Sol P, the 1266TC, or even the Susvara to a degree, the HD800 being the outlier and comes with its own severe shortcomings in comparison. So in that category they don't compete.

Overall experience the Utopia are great just not at the same level, but can be had for $2100 preowned in the USA and that makes them AMAZING. Sorry for the conjecture and dribbling of thoughts but it is the best I can do on my GED level Audiophile education.

Bass & Soundstage comparison track:
https://i.imgur.com/y5zgCTg.png

RoonShareImage-637820037045872110.png

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back