System synergy concerns
Mar 7, 2006 at 2:35 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

MegaMusicNut

New Head-Fier
Greeting head-fiers,

Another noobie here with lots of questions.

I started my search for headphones by looking at wireless headphones, but quickly learned that they're not what I'm looking for. After a bit of research on high quality corded headphones, the Beyerdynamics 880 intrigued me the most for a number of reasons. Some of what I read also concerned me.

My main concern is that I'm going to need more than just the headphones and my current gear to make the most of the 880's. I'm hoping that you folks may be able to eleviate my concerns.

My current system is a dedicated 2-channel music machine. I have a top of the line NAD CD player going to my Sim Audio preamplifier which also has a 1/4 inch headphone jack. Amplification is provided by a Sim Audio power amplifier.

My inexperienced mind is telling me that the various weaknesses that some folks experience with the 880's in there system may be minimized (or even eliminated?) by a high quality source and amplifier similar to how a great speaker can be made even better with higher quality components.

I listen to a wide variety of music, but am particularly fond of acoustic music, small jazz ensembles, classical, and female vocalists. Joni Mitchell brings me to tears every time I listen to her.

So what do you folks think? Will I be unable to take the 880's off or will I be in the market for a headphone amp and expensive cables?

Thanks for any input.

- MMN

Mar 7, 2006 at 2:51 PM Post #2 of 5
I have heard nothing about the quality of the SIM Audio headphone out. Based upon Sim Audio's reputation it is likely of fairly good quality. Get the 880's and try them. I'll bet that you like them driven by the SA. Worst case you'll start looking for amps.

Mar 7, 2006 at 6:22 PM Post #3 of 5
Thanks Yikes. I would certainly expect the headphone output on such a fine preamp to be equally fine. I just won't know until the 880's arrive and I fire 'em up. Maybe they'll be on my doorstep before the weekend.

How are the pretzels?

Mar 7, 2006 at 8:08 PM Post #4 of 5
If you haven't heard much high-end headphone, then the beyers should be (please excuse the pun) music to your ears. But then one day you will say "i wonder if I could make these sound better", and then you want an amp, and then a companion can, and you keep circling the head-fi drain-hole until it sucks you down the pipe of upgraditis and into the sewer of debt...

Or alternatively, you could run away with your DT880 and never return... enjoy them!

Welcome to head-fi, sorry about your wallet.

Mar 7, 2006 at 8:39 PM Post #5 of 5
My headphone experience has been very limited, so I'm very excited to hear what they can do. I'm curious to see how the experience compares to what my speakers can do, but without worrying about annoying the neighbors.

I look forward to circling the head-fi drain-hole. My music system is my baby and the 880's or some other pair of headphones will become an integral part.

Thanks for the welcome. I'm ready to be canned.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back