System Issues
Jun 11, 2013 at 5:43 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 2

Loveturd

New Head-Fier
Hi all, 

I am a new-booty who has just assembled his first system in order to play my vinyls. My system consists of a stanton t.62 record player, a denon DRA-397 integrated, and an infinity primus p163 speaker. I also used monster 12 awg copper wire, banana connectors, and pin connectors. Keep in mind that I'm still new to this world. Anyway, the problem I'm having is that virtually any sound coming from the guitar in most tracks is nothing but a whisper. I've tried adjusting the volumes of the various channels to no avail. I was wondering if anyone else had any solutions or recommendations.

Jun 11, 2013 at 8:05 PM Post #2 of 2
Quote:
Hi all, 

I am a new-booty who has just assembled his first system in order to play my vinyls. My system consists of a stanton t.62 record player, a denon DRA-397 integrated, and an infinity primus p163 speaker. I also used monster 12 awg copper wire, banana connectors, and pin connectors. Keep in mind that I'm still new to this world. Anyway, the problem I'm having is that virtually any sound coming from the guitar in most tracks is nothing but a whisper. I've tried adjusting the volumes of the various channels to no avail. I was wondering if anyone else had any solutions or recommendations.

Well, my first guess was going to be that you didn't have phono inputs (very few modern receivers have them).  However, in looking up your receiver* (it's not an "integrated amplifier"), it appears that the DRA-397 does indeed have phono inputs.  Did you connect the outputs from the turntable to the phono inputs of the receiver?  If not, you're going to get some very hush-hush sound coming out.

Note that turntable output from a phono cartridge needs an additional amplifier besides the pre-amp in a receiver/integrated amp.  It also needs RIAA equalization.  Back in the day, these things were all built-in to the "phono inputs" of a receiver.  Most have deleted that feature these days, but yours didn't.  Anyway - if those two things are absent (phono preamp and RIAA equalization), you're going to get a very small sound with a very exaggerated response curve.

* Very generally speaking, the difference between a receiver versus an integrated amplifier is that the receiver has a tuner - always FM, sometimes AM/FM.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back