Syriana
Dec 16, 2005 at 3:53 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

Meifa

100+ Head-Fier
Anyone see it yet? Anyone planning to see it?

My stepfather and I saw it on a whim tonight. I won't spoil anything (at least not yet
tongue.gif
). However, I liked the movie, but it was very dense. IMHO, it'll require a second viewing to really cut through.

All in all though, I think it's an interesting look at the geopolitical dynamics of big oil, the middle east, and all the varied players involved, presented in a fictional package.

Definitely wanna check out the book it was partly inspired by, See No Evil.

Dec 16, 2005 at 12:51 PM Post #4 of 10
Quote:

Originally Posted by Meifa
All in all though, I think it's an interesting look at the geopolitical dynamics of big oil, the middle east, and all the varied players involved, presented in a fictional package.

I wonder whether it's possible to comment deeply on a film of this kind without violating Head-fi policy. While I'm quite interested in seeing the flick, I doubt the issues it explores may be discussed in these forums comfortably. Interviews I've seen with the director suggest the content is decidedly political.

Dec 16, 2005 at 2:01 PM Post #5 of 10
Quote:

Originally Posted by Meifa
Anyone see it yet? Anyone planning to see it?

My stepfather and I saw it on a whim tonight. I won't spoil anything (at least not yet
tongue.gif
). However, I liked the movie, but it was very dense. IMHO, it'll require a second viewing to really cut through.

Definitely wanna check out the book it was partly inspired by, See No Evil.

I saw it last weekend and it was (and is) excellent. I agree with you that it is rather dense and i think i'll need to see it again to fully understand all the players in the movie and how their roles affect each other. For the most part, i had a decent grasp on it but i wouldn't mind catching it again.

Unfortunately, scrypt is right. I imagine this thread will be closed or closely watched based on the past history of how political discussions spiral out of control around here.

Dec 16, 2005 at 3:28 PM Post #6 of 10
I also saw it last weekend. I did like it but it's extremely complex. You really have to pay attention otherwise it becomes hard to follow.

Dec 19, 2005 at 4:27 PM Post #7 of 10
I have to agree with everyone else. I saw it last night and really enjoyed it. But there were a bunch of points I was pretty confused on. I will have to see it again when it comes out on DVD to fully grasp it. Still, very good but I recommend renting it as you'll want to see it twice, look at special features, and I don't think the big screen is all that important for this one.

Dec 20, 2005 at 6:56 AM Post #10 of 10
I seem to have missed this thread... I saw it the day after it came out, and it was a very good movie. Very well done from a technical standpoint (example: the few "action" scenes were understated and, IMO, put an emphasis on what part they played in the story, not the action itself), good acting, and a dense but well-made script. I really want to see it again, but I just haven't had time to catch a showing (and King Kong isn't going to help my schedule one bit).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back