Synchronizing two external HDDs
Mar 17, 2007 at 4:55 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

jules650

500+ Head-Fier
I recently bought another external hard drive to have a backup of my FLAC archive. Is there a program that can synchronize the two drives whenever I make small changes to my main archive?

Mar 17, 2007 at 5:24 PM Post #2 of 8
Quote:

Originally Posted by jules650 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I recently bought another external hard drive to have a backup of my FLAC archive. Is there a program that can synchronize the two drives whenever I make small changes to my main archive?

Yes, there are a few out there. I use a program called copyTo Synchronizer, it cost me about $20 or so and I use it daily, it is pretty basic but does let you do one-way or two-way syncs, and will delete extra files if you want it to, you can try it before registering it.

Mar 17, 2007 at 5:32 PM Post #3 of 8
I find rsync to be just perfect for this task.
It allow you to make incremental file transfers from one folder to another. Meaning that it will only copy modified or new files.

Mar 19, 2007 at 4:15 AM Post #6 of 8
RAID 1 would be ideal if it was a internal disk
rolleyes.gif
Oh well... unless you have an eSATA disk
biggrin.gif

Mar 19, 2007 at 8:03 AM Post #7 of 8
Microsoft free SyncToy
I used it once a month to sync. You do not want to sync automatically (you delete one folder one one side, it's gone on the other side).

With synctoy, I run it in preview mode , (it lists all the operations that are going to be done), dble check that things looks ok (ie that it's not going to delete 100 folders) and actually run it. then i disconnect the HD until the next sync (I do that twice a month) so that a) I do not delete files by mistake, b) in case something happens (virus or else), it does not corrupt that drive.

Good luck with the solution you pick
Lionel

Mar 19, 2007 at 2:30 PM Post #8 of 8
I will repeat what everyone else had already said:

If you run Windows, I also recommend synctoy. It's easy to use.

If you run UNIX, rsync is good.

The easiest hardware solution is RAID 1.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back