Symphony -x appreciation thread!
Aug 23, 2009 at 6:46 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 18

plonter

Headphoneus Supremus
Something like two years ago I was new to the metal scene.
beginning with dream theater which introduced me to the melodic metal world and from there I kept experimenting with all (well..almost all) metal genres to the most extreme ones.
But I still think that symphony x is the best I ever heard, not only in prog-metal and but in ALL MUSIC! they are the best IMO.

All my life I have been looking for the perfect combination of heart breaking melodies and hard metal sound with the sweetest tubie distortion sound ever! and let's not forget the singer...simply outstanding vocalist.
yes,yes...they are unique indeed.
(sorry dream...you will always be the best second
normal_smile .gif
)

I am writing this while listening to "the devine wings of tragedy"...wait...I just had an eargasme...like for the 10th time in this album!
biggrin.gif

I have all their albums except the first two. I will probably have them soon. my favourites are "V" and "the devine wings of tragedy"

share your thoughts about them, what are your favourite albums..or maybe you prefer other bands more...(I heard somewhere that this is possible)
BTW, please mention other bands/artists with the same style if you know of. I don't and there is always room for more.

Dec 31, 2009 at 1:11 PM Post #2 of 18
I know I'm bringing an old thread back but I also like to say that symphony x is a fantastic progressive metal band. They have some talented members in both instrument playing and songwriting and many of their songs contain classical influences. However, backed with incredibly strong vocals, their music is nothing short of bold and epic, especially their 20+ minute songs such as divine wings of tragedy and the odyssey. I also cannot find a band to sound like them, with their excellent fierce playing that contains many complex classical elements. The first album I recommend from them is definitely divine wings of tragedy. It contains a wide variety of songs by them and is a great way to start listening to them. I would also recommend twilight in olympus and definitely V, which I think is their best album.

I'm also curious to know what are the best headphones/IEMs for symphony x? I'm using phonak PFE's for now.

Jan 1, 2010 at 12:08 PM Post #6 of 18
Symphony X is not for everybody, it is so highly technical that some people might not find it musical enough and back away. My fav. tracks are "A Fools Paradise" and "Inferno". People who like Dream Theater should listen to Symphony X, Petrucci fanboys might get scared away by Michael Romeo. And, Michael Romeo rocks!

Jan 2, 2010 at 12:24 AM Post #7 of 18
I really love "The Divine Wings of Tragedy" and "Twilight in Olympus", "V" was not on the same level but still good. unfortunately, after that album the band began to sound more and more uninspired to me, though still great to see live.

Jan 2, 2010 at 1:28 AM Post #9 of 18
Quote:

Originally Posted by Moldytape /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I also cannot find a band to sound like them

Check out Time Requiem's self-titled album - it's basically Symphony X on speed. Even their vocalist sounds more or less exactly like Allen.

Jan 2, 2010 at 5:23 AM Post #10 of 18
I was at a Symphony X concert at the Troc two years ago. It was fun! I had a nice conversation with Michael Romeo. He's a really cool guy, and an amazing guitarist.

Jan 15, 2010 at 9:26 AM Post #13 of 18
hey guys,I didn't think that this thread will come alive sometime. anyway,symphony x is still my favourite in prog metal, and i think that they're also sound very good.
my favourite albums in this order- the divine wings of tragedy (amazing melodies and the best sound of all SX albums IMO...recommended with warm tubes+grado
bigsmile_face.gif
) > "V" > "the oddysey" and "paradise lost" is in the same level.

Jan 16, 2010 at 10:28 PM Post #14 of 18
Likewise, Dream Theater was also my first step into prog metal. Between the two, I prefer Symphony X more simply because they've never released an album I didn't like. On the other hand, Dream Theater's newer albums just don't seem to click with me like the older ones did. Not to mention I much prefer Allen's vocals to LaBrie's.

I have Paradise Lost, The Odyssey and V. I really like the Odyssey since it's heavy, grandiose, and the production is outstanding. My favorite track is King of Terrors.

If you're interested in some darker, heavier and more aggressive metal, check out Nevermore. The vocalist incorporates a lot of melody and the lead guitarist is damn good. Dead Heart in a Dead World is a good place to start.

Jan 16, 2010 at 11:15 PM Post #15 of 18
I have been a Symphony x fan for 4-5 years and It's kind of funny how i found out about them. Back in 2004 a rogue named Eryx made some of the first great world of warcraft pvp videos and his main music accompaniment was Symphony X and being a fan of his work led to me checking out their music and really enjoying it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back