Symphony II or Super Mini Moy headphone amp?
Feb 9, 2005 at 9:01 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

Kairyu

New Head-Fier
Hi everyone,
I'm pretty new to the world of amplification (my last headphone amp was a Pocket Amp made by Electric Avenues.) It recently went dead on me but I suspect its one of the inputs, I may or may not fix it but I think its about time I look for something better anyway
smily_headphones1.gif

Right now I'm eyeing out two headphone amps, which are:
PreludeAudio's Symphony II amp
Shellbrook Audio Lab's Super Mini Moy

They're both well within my price range (150 USD) but I'm wondering. How are they? I honestly don't know too much about PreludeAudio's products but the amp they offer seems to be what I'm looking for. The Super Mini Moy on the other hand, I've only heard good things about it. Not to mention it looks very slick, is cheaper (I think), and sounds heavenly, at least that's what I've heard. Only problem is, the website says they're currently backordered on their products. From the looks of it, it may be awhile before I can make any type of order with them.

So, I ask you. Should I wait and then order the Super Mini-Moy? Or just go with the Symphony II amp?
...OR! is there something better that I haven't heard about? I'm very open to suggestions!

My setup, just thought it might be a good idea to tell you what I use:
iRiver H140
Sennheiser HD595 & PX100

Well, thanks for your time. I hope you guys can help me out here.

Feb 9, 2005 at 9:28 AM Post #2 of 5
i use my mini moy with my h120 and its great, lovely bass, clean detail, and overall robust sound. nothing schrill.

its cheaper yes 95 for SMM, the other looks nice to, but looks are looks. the mini moys size and durability and protability is what drew it to me in the first place. i bought it before i ever came to headfi and must say i really like. currently looking for stay at home amp that sounds similar and better.

Feb 9, 2005 at 9:41 AM Post #3 of 5
I'd order the SMM in a heartbeat but its backlogged for now. Is it really worth the wait? Its hard listening to my player without a headphone amp, and its only been 2 weeks! Its one of those, 'once you hear music through a amp you don't go back!" kind of thing
icon10.gif

Feb 9, 2005 at 12:11 PM Post #4 of 5
Quote:

Originally Posted by Kairyu
Hi everyone,
I'm pretty new to the world of amplification (my last headphone amp was a Pocket Amp made by Electric Avenues.) It recently went dead on me but I suspect its one of the inputs, I may or may not fix it but I think its about time I look for something better anyway
smily_headphones1.gif

You should contact Gary - he offer a lifetime repair warranty, worth the trouble.
smily_headphones1.gif

JRT has a portable Pimeta, around 150 US, maybe worth considering too? It's listed in the portable amps sticky in this forum.

Feb 9, 2005 at 9:38 PM Post #5 of 5
Yep, I sent Gary a E-mail just recently. Hopefully I can get it repaired!

Thanks for the suggestion blitze, I'll definitely look into the pimeta amps. I'm not too keen on the case design (I prefer the tough metal casing myself) but otherwise its still worth considering, thank you!

So, does anyone else have some advice/suggestions? Looking through all these different headphone amps is really making my head spin, lol.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back