Symphony Fantastique Recommendations
Nov 29, 2007 at 8:59 PM Post #16 of 24
51mGSRSvB%2BL._AA240_.jpg
31AN7S98NHL._AA180_.jpg

Nov 30, 2007 at 3:58 AM Post #17 of 24
Quote:

Originally Posted by zoomjohn /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Somehow I get the feeling that my wallet is going to take a big plunge into Berlioz.

Not really. One or two top Fantastiques, a disk of overtures (Munch is as good as it gets), Harold in Italy (many fine recordings, I really like the Maazel/DG), and frankly that's about all most people will ever want or need. Three or four cds will be enough Berlioz. I find the Berlioz Requiem deathly longwinded and dull. Romeo and Juliet is fine if you skip the choral parts. The opera Les Troyens taxes the patience of even the most dedicated Berlioz fan. Lelio can be ignored without any loss at all. Berlioz' reputation rests on that fantastic symphony, and that's all right.

Nov 30, 2007 at 5:21 AM Post #18 of 24
Quote:

Originally Posted by mbhaub /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Not really. One or two top Fantastiques, a disk of overtures (Munch is as good as it gets), Harold in Italy (many fine recordings, I really like the Maazel/DG), and frankly that's about all most people will ever want or need. Three or four cds will be enough Berlioz. I find the Berlioz Requiem deathly longwinded and dull. Romeo and Juliet is fine if you skip the choral parts. The opera Les Troyens taxes the patience of even the most dedicated Berlioz fan. Lelio can be ignored without any loss at all. Berlioz' reputation rests on that fantastic symphony, and that's all right.

Somehow one still needs La Damnation de Faust. I like Ozawa under DG, budget price with full text and translations.

I love my Les Troyens (LSO Live/Davis): although the work is long (I agree with the decision of opera house that Berlioz first approached -- the opera should really be chopped into two halves), the music is ravishingly beautiful. This budget set won't break your bank either.

Nov 30, 2007 at 7:56 PM Post #19 of 24
"Not really. One or two top Fantastiques, a disk of overtures (Munch is as good as it gets), Harold in Italy (many fine recordings, I really like the Maazel/DG), and frankly that's about all most people will ever want or need. Three or four cds will be enough Berlioz. I find the Berlioz Requiem deathly longwinded and dull. Romeo and Juliet is fine if you skip the choral parts. The opera Les Troyens taxes the patience of even the most dedicated Berlioz fan. Lelio can be ignored without any loss at all. Berlioz' reputation rests on that fantastic symphony, and that's all right."

My Berlioz collection is complete with just the "Symphony Fantasic".

- augustwest

Nov 30, 2007 at 9:37 PM Post #20 of 24
Quote:

Originally Posted by mbhaub /img/forum/go_quote.gif

To reduce Berlioz collection to minimum I see that RCA has released new hybrid SACD of Munch's Berlioz "Harold in Italy" whic also has several of the overtures fron CD I listed above.......so you kill two birds with one stone with this purchase, your Berlioz collection could be just:

31Y6WK77VKL._AA115_.jpg
313KcsWyBoL._AA115_.jpg

Dec 1, 2007 at 1:22 AM Post #21 of 24
Don't have an SACD player, but I'll get the CD versions of those. Thanks
Quote:

Originally Posted by DarkAngel /img/forum/go_quote.gif
To reduce Berlioz collection to minimum I see that RCA has released new hybrid SACD of Munch's Berlioz "Harold in Italy" whic also has several of the overtures fron CD I listed above.......so you kill two birds with one stone with this purchase, your Berlioz collection could be just:

31Y6WK77VKL._AA115_.jpg
313KcsWyBoL._AA115_.jpg

Dec 1, 2007 at 1:37 AM Post #22 of 24
Quote:

Originally Posted by zoomjohn /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Don't have an SACD player, but I'll get the CD versions of those. Thanks

The Living Stereo reissues are hybrid SACD. They have been remastered, so you should benefit even in the CD layer.

Explained here

I have also read reviews that confirmed that the new issues CD layer sounds superior to the older CD issues. The SACD is reasonably priced, too.

Dec 1, 2007 at 4:29 PM Post #23 of 24
Oh... I didn't know that. That sounds good.
Quote:

Originally Posted by Rlynn /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The Living Stereo reissues are hybrid SACD. They have been remastered, so you should benefit even in the CD layer.

Explained here

I have also read reviews that confirmed that the new issues CD layer sounds superior to the older CD issues. The SACD is reasonably priced, too.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back