Sydney meet impression - 20/10/07 (UNSW Library)
Oct 20, 2007 at 11:18 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 18

Capunk

1000+ Head-Fier
Hey guys,
Put all your impressions in here, I save this space for my own impression
wink.gif

But tonite is saturday night, so I probably post it tommorow
3000smile.gif

Anyway, it was a great meeting guys! nice to know u all!

List of equipments:

Headphone:
- Grado RS-2
- Alessandro MS2 (many!)
- Alessandro MS1
- Denon D2000 (x2)
- AKG K501
- Audio Technica ATH-W1000
- Audio Technica ATH-AD900
- Sennheiser HD650
- Yuin PK-1
- Westone UM-2
- Sony ???
- Koss KSC-75

Headphone amp:
- Corda Headsix
- iBasso D1 (stock & modded)
- Darkvoice 336i (with RCA tubes)
- Millet Hybrid
- Graham Slee Solo "Green"

DAC:
- Musiland MD10

CDP:
- Marantz
- NAD
- Sony D33

-

<edit 1> Added equipment list, headphone section.
<edit 2> Added - amp, dac, cdp list.
<edit 3> Correction

Guys, please let me know the equipments that u bought to our meeting, so i can update the list.

Oct 20, 2007 at 2:17 PM Post #2 of 18
It was all about that damn fine tape for me...

You should see the **** I've covered in tape tonight - my world has changed - I taped my head and now my own voice sounds amazing inside my head... far less sibilant!

Ahhh... tape... thanks Yobs!

Oct 20, 2007 at 4:34 PM Post #4 of 18
:O

oh my god.. i just realize we haven't take any pictures...
Do we have one?

Oct 21, 2007 at 3:38 AM Post #7 of 18
whens next one xd

Oct 21, 2007 at 4:22 AM Post #9 of 18
We had a pretty small turnout yesterday...I think it was because finals are approaching...I'm glad I finally got to hear some Senn HD650s, which I really like! So I think they will be my next purchase...

Oct 21, 2007 at 4:23 AM Post #10 of 18
Capunk I think the AKGs were 501s with different pads (possibly from 601s?) but I could have that wrong...

Great meet - not many of us there, maybe around 10 - 12, but I think that was probably a good thing in the end. Room was on the small side and got pretty warm in there with all the gear running, but was fine for the number of attendees.

I really enjoyed the Darkvoice/Musiland combination. I found the Darkvoice to be a very powerful amp, and it was my first real opportunity to spend a decent amount of time with a tube amp. The Musiland headphone out was a little underpowered for the more demanding phones (like the Senns) but offered an acceptable level of output. As a DAC I was very impressed, and combining it with the Darkvoice was a fantastic experience. Loads of power, very smooth full sound which made my 650s come to life! For me, changing to any other devices present at the meet was a noticeable step down in quality and musicality. Impressive sound from a reasonably inexpensive setup!

The other standout experience for me was probably more of a personal one. I compared all the full size cans that were at the meet (including the tape/non-tape grados
wink.gif
). All outstanding headphones with quite differing characteristics - but the thing that stood out most to me was how much I preferred my Senn 650s. I'm still not sure if is partially because I have become used to and more familiar or comfortable with their sound over time, but it was an interesting (and somewhat unexpected) discovery. Hard to explain exactly why I prefer their sound so much (and I hate trying to explain audio characteristics), I guess they had a fuller and more cohesive sound to my ears - they tend to bring the sound together (whilst maintaining separation, as much as that sounds like a contradiction). It's as if the sound is perfect sphere - it has its limits and boundaries, but within those limits each instrument or section of the music finds its place (now you know why I hate this whole 'describe the sound' thing!!!).

The Millet was interesting to check out too - I wasn't a big fan from a sound quality perspective, but it was awesome to see a custom little 'home made' amp and have a chance to discuss the specifics of the build process - would be great to make a similar device myself in the future just for the experience.

There was also a little Cowon (i think?) touch screen player that Yobs brought along. Didn't get an opportunity to have a listen, but played with it for a minute or two and loved the size/interface and the touchscreen.

Wish I got around to hearing the iBasso D1 and some of the IEMs... next time...

Thanks to those that brought in their gear - I learnt alot, and so did my ears. Was interesting to compare impressions with others about exactly the same gear too.

I look forward to the next one... and my DAC arriving!

Thanks!

Oct 21, 2007 at 4:26 AM Post #11 of 18
Quote:

Originally Posted by Zorander /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Because this thread is useless without pics?

C'mon man - you've seen photos of all the gear before... and you should know by now that people into headphone related gear are not pretty looking...

What the hell would you want a photo of... the door?

Oct 21, 2007 at 11:25 AM Post #12 of 18
Quote:

Originally Posted by poo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
What the hell would you want a photo of... the door?

Well, there was that cute girl just outside said door
icon10.gif

Oct 21, 2007 at 1:49 PM Post #15 of 18
Just taped my MS2...! ! ! Haha what should I tape next? Hehe.. Oh yeah, a lil correction capunk, it's MD10 not DA10.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back