swop electrolytic capacitors for solid state
Dec 21, 2012 at 12:16 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

goodsguys

Head-Fier
Hi and thanks for reading this post.

Do you think it would be a good idea to replace the usual aluminium electrolytic capacitors on a zero dac board for the better specs of a solid state (polymer) type capacitor.

I have 4 aluminium electrolytic's around the dac chip (47uf 35v) which are leaking, and 4x 10uf 63v output coupling caps in the analog section, so 8 caps to replace in all, do you think a like for like replacement of the stock aluminium electrolytics for solid state polymer type caps would be okay in this situation.

I have done a google search and people have performed this on pc motherboards but there is not much on amps.

Many thanks in advance. John.

Dec 21, 2012 at 6:45 PM Post #2 of 4
Quote:
Hi and thanks for reading this post.

Do you think it would be a good idea to replace the usual aluminium electrolytic capacitors on a zero dac board for the better specs of a solid state (polymer) type capacitor.

I have 4 aluminium electrolytic's around the dac chip (47uf 35v) which are leaking, and 4x 10uf 63v output coupling caps in the analog section, so 8 caps to replace in all, do you think a like for like replacement of the stock aluminium electrolytics for solid state polymer type caps would be okay in this situation.

I have done a google search and people have performed this on pc motherboards but there is not much on amps.

Many thanks in advance. John.

This is really a question for the DIY section.

First of all, why are the caps around the DAC chip leaking?  That's not a good sign and probably indicates an over-voltage event that happened or continues to happen.  As for replacing aluminum electrolytics for polymer caps, it depends on the application.  Some people have had good luck with polymer caps in the signal path, some have not.  Polymer caps are usually selected in small digital circuits (as in DACs) where very low ESR is demanded.  However, their audio quality in a signal path may not be so good.  Plus, if the cap is being used in a power circuit, the ESR is still good, but it may not have as good a ripple rejection as an aluminum electrolytic.

Bottom line, you need the schematic for your DAC and some help in understanding the circuit before changing the types of capacitors.  They are usually selected by type for a reason.  Granted, sometimes that reason is low cost, but sometimes not.
wink.gif

Dec 22, 2012 at 3:56 AM Post #3 of 4
I saw you posting this question on several other forums, and all the replies were basically the same. So I am not quite sure what answer you are looking for if you keep asking it over and over again. However, if you want to experiment with solid caps then go ahead and let us know the before and after results.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back