Switching my Grado GS1000 to __
Nov 20, 2010 at 9:26 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 3

zubikov

New Head-Fier
I've owned a pair of Grado GS1000 (w/ a headroom dac/amp) for over a year and I absolutely love them. However, I only get to listen to them when I'm home and alone. In my personal situation, that's a problem. I can't take them to work, can't use them on an Airplane, forget riding in the subway or any situation where there are people around me, which is basically all the time. They're open air headphones, and that's their biggest strength and weakness.

I want to replace them with a closed-cup set of cans. I know that any non-Grado set will sounds different, but I still want something comparable. Forget the sound stage, I know I'll never get anything close to the GS1000s, period. So far, I'm thinking of getting the Denon 7000, due to their closed-cup design and numerous favorable reviews from the head-fi community...I was also thinking about getting the Studio Beats by Dre. Hah, just kidding guys!

Can anyone suggest anything else I should look at in the $600 - $1000 range that will not leak sound, or leak very little of it?

Anyone ever listen to both the GS1000/1000i and a set of Denon 5000/7000? Any thoughts?

Any suggestions would be much appreciated. Thanks everyone.

Nov 20, 2010 at 11:28 AM Post #2 of 3
Not sure this is the correct sub forum for this but what the hay...

You might want something a little smaller than the D5000/7000s to use for portable use.  And nothing will quite sound like a Grado.... nothing ever does.  Have you thought about IEM like something from JH Audio or UE?  They will provide all the isolation you can possibly get, and sound fantastic even straight from a portable player.  

Nov 21, 2010 at 7:38 AM Post #3 of 3
Apologies for the wrong forum, my first post of head-fi.

I have a pair of UE 10 pros. They're good for a pair of IEMs, but just can't compare to the richer sound of cans. Size isn't really an issue, just need to keep the music to myself and keep others out of my music.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back