switching from Cowon to Apple?
Sep 13, 2007 at 12:12 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 21

StanRex

100+ Head-Fier
Hi guys,

I currently own a Cowon D2 4gb and Shure E500, and I'm considering selling the D2 to buy a 6G iPod Classic 160GB.

Why :

160GB, that means I can put all my music on it (i currently have 70gb of flac files)
I heard that ipods were able to do gapless playback

Reasons why I think it may not be such a good idea :

I'll have to re encode all my music (FLAC) to ALAC and I don't know if it's a good codec and if the re encoding can be done losslessly

I m not sure the 6gen ipods can play ALAC files gaplessly

I know that Cowon DAPs are supposed to be very good DAPs sound quality wise. I fear that going to a 6th gen ipod may not be such a good idea if the sound quality isnt as good as what it currently is with my D2

I'll have to move to itunes... and I dunno if itunes can playback on 4 speakers (my computer has 5.1 speakers and I hate it when music only plays on the 2 front speakers)

So if some of you owning a 6th gen classic ipod could comment on this, I'd really appreciate it

Thanks in advance

Sep 13, 2007 at 12:28 PM Post #2 of 21
alac is a fine codec and the conversion process will be lossless. if its not, there is really something wrong with the converter.

the 5G plays gaplessly, so the 6G should - but i can't confirm that it does.

try the ipod yourself and see how you feel about the sound. in the end, thats what it would come down to anyways.

try itunes (its a free download) to see if it can playback the way you want.

Sep 13, 2007 at 12:38 PM Post #3 of 21
I'm currently considering the same myself.

1) Lossless is lossless, it's just a pain to convert.

2) Shouldn't be a problem but can't confirm.

3) Hmmm, headphone out may not be as good (according to initial reviews it's pretty good) but then you can always amp the lineout.

4) Give it a go and see.

Sep 13, 2007 at 12:44 PM Post #4 of 21
Well, I'm going to start by giving itunes a go, thanks for the comments!

Sep 13, 2007 at 12:49 PM Post #5 of 21
As for FLAC <-> ALAC conversions (and many others) go to www.dbpoweramp.com and get music converter. Using this software mass conversion is just a piece of cake (see supported formats on codec page) Fire & forget... erm.. come back when ready
smily_headphones1.gif

Sep 13, 2007 at 8:37 PM Post #6 of 21
hi,

I'm considering exactly the same thing!!!! I too have a D2 and want an iPod touch. I really like that thing and it would match perfectly with my mac.

Not that I'm an apple fanboy, but it does look good
wink.gif

I'm also afraid of the SQ. D2 is stunning in SQ, I'm not sure about the iPod.

greetz

Sep 13, 2007 at 10:22 PM Post #7 of 21
Quote:

Originally Posted by kichu1979 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
As for FLAC <-> ALAC conversions (and many others) go to www.dbpoweramp.com and get music converter. Using this software mass conversion is just a piece of cake (see supported formats on codec page) Fire & forget... erm.. come back when ready
smily_headphones1.gif

x2

Sep 13, 2007 at 11:22 PM Post #8 of 21
I'm considering the same thing: sell D2 for iPod Classic!

I agree about dBpowerAmp: very easy and fast to set up and use.

Any comments on SQ of D2 vs iPod Classic available?

Sep 14, 2007 at 6:30 AM Post #9 of 21
Quote:

Originally Posted by StanRex /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'm considering selling the D2 to buy a 6G iPod Classic 160GB.

I think thats a wise choice.
Nothing beats 160GB of storage capacity in a portable player...

Quote:

Reasons why I think it may not be such a good idea :

I'll have to re encode all my music (FLAC) to ALAC and I don't know if it's a good codec and if the re encoding can be done losslessly

Apple lossless is a great codec. It encodes/decodes fast, have pretty good compression rates (on par with FLAC) and have good software/hardware support.

Transcoding between lossless audio codecs are lossless. So nothing to fear when it comes to audio quality.

Sep 14, 2007 at 9:49 AM Post #11 of 21
Comming from a D2, the sound quality you were being spoiled with will be gone and in return you will have something far less appealing. I say give one a spin before buying, if possible. You wouldnt want to use E500s or UE10s to listen to a $10 china player, by the same token you wont want to listen to FLAC using an Apple product...

Sep 14, 2007 at 8:13 PM Post #13 of 21
Quote:

Originally Posted by Amblin /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Comming from a D2, the sound quality you were being spoiled with will be gone and in return you will have something far less appealing. I say give one a spin before buying, if possible. You wouldnt want to use E500s or UE10s to listen to a $10 china player, by the same token you wont want to listen to FLAC using an Apple product...

Do you own both the D2 and the Classic? Doesn't look like it to me... What are you actually basing this on?

Sep 14, 2007 at 8:28 PM Post #14 of 21
Quote:

Originally Posted by Dzjudz /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Do you own both the D2 and the Classic? Doesn't look like it to me... What are you actually basing this on?

My friend has an X5, which supposedly has the same DAC as the D2, and as for the Classic, I recently went to a Apple store with my favorite IEMs and had a listen, and I was not impressed.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back