Switching Beyer 770 and 880 pads - what a difference!
Sep 4, 2008 at 5:11 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

kingmajix

100+ Head-Fier
I've got a Beyer 770, new 880s and Darths at my house now and I'd like to try some different options with the pads. I did a pretty lengthy search and I couldn't find any post that said exactly how to switch the pads.

Sorry to be so exacting if this is an easy/obvious switchout, I just want to be careful so I don't screw anything up.

biggrin.gif

Scott

Sep 4, 2008 at 5:27 PM Post #2 of 8
Quote:

Originally Posted by kingmajix /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I've got a Beyer 770, new 880s and Darths at my house now and I'd like to try some different options with the pads. I did a pretty lengthy search and I couldn't find any post that said exactly how to switch the pads.

Sorry to be so exacting if this is an easy/obvious switchout, I just want to be careful so I don't screw anything up.

biggrin.gif

Scott

It is as simple as it gets.
Pull off the old ones and !@#$%^&* the new ones on.

Sep 4, 2008 at 7:24 PM Post #3 of 8
Didn't your new DT880 come with a manuel?
Just as Kees said, you can pull them off the ring were they are folded on.
The DT880 pads can be attached to a ring, so than you use a knife to take the ring of.

Sep 5, 2008 at 6:29 AM Post #4 of 8
Thanks for the help guys.

I did some switching tonight and I could not believe what a huge difference it made in the sound quality!

After doing some searching today and reading past threads, the consensus seemed to be that the pads for both the 770 and 880 look very similar but they are indeed very different. That is exactly right - if you look at the type of stuffing used through the holes in the back you'll notice that the the 770 is more substantial and rigid while the 880 is softer and more pliable.

What this meant for sound quality was that it changed the bass dramatically. With the 770 pads, the 880s hit much harder. In fact I'd say it was a step shy of the stock 770. The drawback is that the whole headphone seemed a bit duller, like I was listening to it through a sheet or something. I switched the pads back and forth to make sure I wasn't imagining it and it was there every time. Stock 880s, nice and detailed but light on bass (slam). 880s with 770 pads, harder hitting bass, less detail overall.

On the other end, the 880 pads absolutely drained the bass out of the 770s. I couldn't believe it... they were positively anemic! I even threw them on my Darths and the bass was almost entirely gone. Unbelievable!

Sorry for such a long post but I thought I'd give my impressions as there have been quite a few questions lately from others who benefited from Amazon's great 880 price.

Scott

Sep 5, 2008 at 8:51 AM Post #6 of 8
Quote:

Originally Posted by Corbet /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Is there any place you can get DT770 pads for a decent price? I'd love to try them out with my DT880s.

Try ebay...

Sep 5, 2008 at 9:17 AM Post #7 of 8
I've given up padrolling with Beyers long ago. A Beyer should be kept stock IMO. Different story with other brands though...

Sep 6, 2008 at 6:58 AM Post #8 of 8
Quote:

Originally Posted by nickchen /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I've given up padrolling with Beyers long ago. A Beyer should be kept stock IMO.

That was my conclusion after yesterday as well. The 770s and 880s are both unique and excel at different things as-is and messing with that creates a sound that just seems 'off' to me.

Scott

Users who are viewing this thread

Back