Switchbox?
Apr 17, 2007 at 5:29 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

laxx

Headphoneus Supremus
I've been contemplating building a switchbox for quie some time now. I basically want to get everything running through my amp and since my amps only have 1 RCA in, I'd need a switchbox to handle multiple sources. So I've been looking at some parts and stuff and basically planned out what I'm going to buy. But a part of me is telling me not to build it as it'll compromise sound quality. Basically, my plan is this.

RCA Set 1
Computer -> USB -> DAC
CDP -> Coaxial -> DAC
DAC -> ...

RCA Set 2
CDP -> ...

RCA Set 3
Cable TV Box -> ...

So a 3 in 1 out switchbox would solve that problem.
DAC, CDP, Cable -> Switchbox -> Amp

Wouldn't the switchbox defeat the purpose of boutique cables? That's my main question.
plainface.gif
I'm not sure how to handle this situation, but a switchbox would be most convenient.

Apr 19, 2007 at 6:54 AM Post #2 of 7
Quote:

Originally Posted by laxx /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Wouldn't the switchbox defeat the purpose of boutique cables? That's my main question.
plainface.gif
I'm not sure how to handle this situation, but a switchbox would be most convenient.

That was my concern as well, but the practical consideration of trying to juggle multiple sources and amps outweighed the sonic considerations.

I placed an order for a Mapletree Audio switchbox (2 inputs, 4 outputs) a couple of weeks ago. I hope to have it in the within the next couple of weeks. Hopefully, the switchbox won't be a detriment to the sound.

Apr 19, 2007 at 1:30 PM Post #3 of 7
I've been in the same boat. I've been thinking this for awhile. Keep going back and forth between keeping it simple or going all out and including volume control for my monitors.

Personally, if you keep the wiring short and direct as possible, use quality wiring and jacks and switches throughout, I can't see it impacting the sound at any perceptible level. Especially since it is totally passive.

My situation is a little different. I'm looking to build a single source multiple out switchbox with the possible volume control on one output pair for my aforementioned monitors.

Keep us up to date if you pull the trigger and start putting it together.

Have you decided on an enclosure? I was thinking of building a nice wooden enclosure.

Apr 19, 2007 at 2:12 PM Post #4 of 7
For an enclosure, I'd end up just using a Hammond case or something of the sort as I don't have any tools to really work with anything else. =[

Apr 19, 2007 at 3:43 PM Post #5 of 7
Quote:

Originally Posted by laxx /img/forum/go_quote.gif
plainface.gif

As long as it's well built and capable, probably not.

Apr 25, 2007 at 7:49 PM Post #6 of 7
Like socrates63, I went the Mapletree route. I needed a switch box to switch between both sources (PC CD-player or dedicated CD player) and outputs (headphone amp, speakers, etc.)

Lloyd will build you a switch box in any configuration of inputs/outputs and various connections (RCA, balanced, etc.) you would like, they look very nice and work well. Perhaps I have tin ears (after all, I can't seem to tell the sonic signature differences between different power cords that many find so apparent
redface.gif
rolleyes.gif
) but I don't hear any degradation in sound.

Mapletree switch boxes are a good alternative, IMHO, if you don't want to build your own. Here is a link - look down near the bottom of the page for the LR Line Router - http://hollowstate.netfirms.com/

Holly

Users who are viewing this thread

Back