switch from hd595's?
Nov 7, 2006 at 3:01 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

laxx

Headphoneus Supremus
I've been lurking here for the past few months and only begain posting recently. I currently have a set of HD595's, but am thinking about trying something different. Originally, I wanted a some DT770's, but after the NY meet, I found them really uncomfortable to wear. I don't know why, but I've recently been wanting some HD580's (600's are ugly and 650's are too expensive).

Would it be worth it to try them out? Are they extremely different than my current set? I'm really thinking about them because of the option to upgrade the cable since I'm beginning to build my system now.

Is it a bad idea to get the 580's now? Should I just wait it out a bit and get something better? Don't get me wrong, I'm happy with the sound the 595's make, but they are a bit bright and foward for my liking.

Nov 7, 2006 at 4:07 PM Post #2 of 7
IMHO, all you need is the 595 and 580
smily_headphones1.gif
The 600 is very very similar to the 580 in sound, so I think the 580s are a great bargain (never mind the fact that they look better
580smile.gif
). It does sound like you'll like them with your current setup if you find the 595s a bit bright and forward (both phones share a similar warmth). The 580s have a bigger soundstage....really good for accoustic stuff. I switch between the two for most my listening. If after getting them, you find them too muffled, then look at getting an amp for them. They really open up with a high gain amp.

Nov 7, 2006 at 4:50 PM Post #3 of 7
i just finished building my cmoy for my ksc75's and i have a corda aria coming in today. so i should keep the 595's and get the 580's to add to my collection?

Nov 7, 2006 at 4:58 PM Post #4 of 7
yes, yes, yes! I think they compliment one another quite well. I like my 580s more for jazz and accoustic/ 595s for heavier rock and classical. I have a setup similar to the Corda....580s won't sound dark on that

Nov 7, 2006 at 5:28 PM Post #5 of 7
i'll get the 580's and call sennheiser for the 600 grills and get the 650 cables while i'm at it. i think that'll hold me off for a while and let my wallet recoup a bit from my splurging spree. =T i just got this job and i spent so much already. and i have to save for a my canon digital rebel xti that i want by christmas. =]

i hope these don't disappoint.
orphsmile.gif

*EDIT.

before i buy the 580's now, are there any other headphones i should look for? i'm not big on classical or jazz. i used to be big on rap and hip hop, but i find that type of music rather boring now. these days, i've been listening to alot of female artists in multiple languages, lol. mainly english, chinese, and japanese. i enjoy music by christina aguilera and evanesance. but i've also migrated to bands like tool and korn. what other headphones should i think about? i've tried the dt770's and they were uncomfortable and i'm guessing the 880 and 990's will feel the same, so i've ruled out beyerdynamics (no darthbeyers in my future =[). i also feel grado's are trying to crush my skull. is there anything else i'm neglecting?

Nov 7, 2006 at 7:58 PM Post #6 of 7
Given your musical tastes some of the Audio Technica headphones might be worth looking at given they're known for giving a bit of a boost to the female vocals range. I've only heard the W5000s myself which are probably more than you're looking to spend but I could easily listen to that kind of music played back on them and would prefer it to my HD595s. Of course given that you find the HD595s a bit bright though, the HD580 might be more to your tastes.

Nov 7, 2006 at 9:32 PM Post #7 of 7
Yeah, that's why I switch between the 580 and 595....the 595 gets brighter and brings out certain details....but the 580s are really lush and exactly what you describe you want.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back