Switch box idea
Apr 20, 2006 at 5:19 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

Clutz

Tells us when we're offset.
I'm thinking about building a switch box to deal with the multiple sources I've got at my desk. I think I'm going to use a 4P3T switch for source selection and another 4P3T switch to select the output jack (multiple headphone amplifiers). I was also thinking about including something like a 4PDT switch to allow me to bypass the output selection switch. When under normal operation, only one output jack would be connected, but I could then switch the 4PDT switch to bypass the 4P3T output rotary switch and send the input singal to all of the output jacks. This way I could let multiple people listen to the same source but through different amps (an easy way to compare a given source through various amps). By doing this I will be reducing the output current to each of the amps because they will be in parallel with each other. Does anyone think that will be a problem, or can anyone see any other problems with this?

Apr 20, 2006 at 5:57 PM Post #2 of 8
More knoledgeable people may correct me, but I believe that since the input impedance of amplifiers is so high, you may as well just leave them all connected all the time. There may be an effect from the capacitance of all the interconnect cables, but I don't know if it would be audible or measurable.

Apr 20, 2006 at 6:04 PM Post #3 of 8
You make a good point, but in parallel the impedence will be reduced. With three devices, and assuming each has the same input impedence, the impedence as seen by the source will be reduced by one third.

Apr 20, 2006 at 6:37 PM Post #4 of 8
You should have no problem with the switchbox... make sure you post pics
very_evil_smiley.gif

Jun 6, 2006 at 2:44 PM Post #5 of 8
how about the "darwin" source selector found over at twisted pear audio? haven't tried it but i really like the kookaburra pre i bought from them. great service.

i believe the darwin keeps the rotary switch out of the signal path. there is a thread over at diyaudio if you want more info.

good luck!

Jun 6, 2006 at 4:21 PM Post #6 of 8
Why not use a relay instead..? Relay controlled rotary, imho, may in fact be "better" in terms of modifications to the signal

Jun 6, 2006 at 11:15 PM Post #8 of 8
you'd have to make sure the toggle switches aren't the type that momentarily short out the poles as you flipped them.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back