Swiss Army Knives and Leatherman Tools
Oct 7, 2008 at 11:49 AM Post #16 of 36
I own a Leatherman Wave and absolutely love it. IMO, this is their best product to date. It has all the features I need and it comes with the quality you would expect from such a company. I used to own a Leatherman Super Tool too, but gave it away to a friend.

Z

Oct 7, 2008 at 11:50 AM Post #17 of 36
Leatherman Pulse. Everything locks into place. It's a great tool The only thing that is missing is a corkscrew.

I have 4 Swiss Army Knives. The model numbers escape me. I have a basic single blade in my desk at work (letter opener, package opener, good for stabbing students, paring apples, etc). I have a small pen knife version with a pen in it and a combo nail file and screwdriver. I carry it a lot.

I have one of the big models (too heavy for the pocket) and a medium model (okay for the pocket). Both of these have corkscrews. (I haven't met a cork that I didn't want to screw).

I also have a single lock blade Buck knife and a gourmet single lock blade knife that I got for xmas one year.

Around my neck I wear a Swiss Army thumb drive with built-in pen and flashlight. No blades. It's the flying model.

Cheers!

Oct 8, 2008 at 11:22 PM Post #20 of 36
Leatherman SuperTool 200, Leatherman Wave, Leatherman Surge and Leatherman Micra at home for me.

Plus a myriad of Swiss Army Knives ranging from a model with Nine Blades and another with only 2 folding knife blades, to a large handful of the Card models and simple 5-Blade models.

Oct 9, 2008 at 12:07 AM Post #21 of 36
This is about 5 years old I think and have used it on everything until I discovered the knife blade, which is supposedly the newest super hard 154CM steel rolled the edge when I friend sharpened it. It turns out Leatherman tools was shipping out a run of tools, and may still be doing so, with improperly tempered steel.

Instead of going through the trouble of having to find the shipping info and shipping this thing off to them for repairs, I decided to get another multi-tool, a Gerber, and use it.

I used the Gerber till I shipped this Leatherman off and received it back with correct blades. Now it will cut very well but I'll not buy another Leatherman product.

Here it is sitting on my $2 mouse pad that makes the new MS 6000 function correctly...LOL

Gear001-3.jpg

Gear002-3.jpg

Gear003-1.jpg

Gear004-2.jpg

Oct 11, 2008 at 3:45 AM Post #22 of 36
All Leatherman here. I have a Wave I keep in my daily messenger bag, as well as a Juice Xe6 in my desk drawer. Really handy tools. As much as I like Swiss Army tools, they're not as sturdy as Leathermans, IMO.

Oct 12, 2008 at 3:21 PM Post #23 of 36
My leatherman sqirt s4 has served my incredibly well over the last few years. If i could only have one thing on my keychain, the squirt would be it. As it stands, i've also got a USB stick and a LED light on my keychain.

Oct 21, 2008 at 7:31 PM Post #25 of 36
My favorite Swiss Army knife is basically either the Tinker or the Classic, but it's about 20 years old and has the BSA emblem opposite the Swiss Army emblem.

I also have the PC Repair knife (can't remember the name) that my girlfriend's dad got me for Christmas one year. Although it's too heavy to carry in my pocket all the time, it's great to keep in my bag, for those quick repair emergencies.

Oct 23, 2008 at 3:36 AM Post #27 of 36
Expanding on my earlier notes: The Skeletool CX is one of my EDC items and gets pretty much daily use.

Primary function is the screwdriver. The bits (2 Phillips, 2 flat) are what I need 90% of the time. I could get the bit set to get 9% more coverage, but I already carry too much crap. I always carry it with the Phillips bit in the socket and the flat bit in the holder. There's not enough margin between the large end of the flat bit and the back of the tool and I've gotten a couple of annoying scratches that way. Not as bad as a Sebenza, but still an annoyance.

The knife would be tops in usage if I didn't carry a dedicated folder (or two). I wouldn't be missing much if I only had it though. It worked well the few times I've used it, opens easily with one hand, takes a decent edge, and cuts symmetrically (unlike most Leatherman multitool blades). On the down side, the lock is light duty and I don't know why they went with a saber grind over a full flat grind. It's not a big deal though since the grip, while decent, isn't the most ergonomic thing and any heavy work is out of the question. Serrations at the base of the blade are annoying for fine work, but that's not an issue with the standard version. Because of this, I'd highly recommend the standard version over the CX unless you cut lots of fibrous material. It's also easier to sharpen.

Pliers are also light duty. The pivot and tips aren't heavy duty enough to stand up to much twisting. It's also not a needle nose, so fine work more difficult than it should be. Still functional though. Wire cutters work fine. Worked well enough in my experience on anything up to 16 ga shielded twisted pair.

I stopped carrying it using the carabiner attachment. The clip has a nasty tendency of catching on things and punching holes into them. The pocket clip works, but IMO, it's too thin to keep the Skeletool from pivoting in the pocket. I'm probably going to grind it off so I can use the carabiner attachment again.

Bottle opener works, but it's something that'd be kinda hard to screw up.

Tools that I miss from the standard Leatherman are the saw, file, and fine tipped screwdriver. Don't use any of those that often, but occasionally they're nice.

Oct 23, 2008 at 10:00 PM Post #28 of 36
Quote:

Originally Posted by jonathanjong /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Are these multitools really useful?

Only if you actually need or use all the functions. My dad and me carry two different Leatherman's: I carry a Surge model and he carries a SuperTool 200. The only blades he uses are the pliers and the knife. Whereas on my tool, pretty much the only blade I do not use is the bottle-opener.

Oct 23, 2008 at 11:20 PM Post #29 of 36
Quote:

Originally Posted by appophylite /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Whereas on my tool, pretty much the only blade I do not use is the bottle-opener.

Ever since beer bottles have started using "twist to open" tops the bottle opener on my Leatherman Wave has gone from one of the most frequently used tools to the least used.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back