Swimming.
May 8, 2007 at 3:47 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 28

Headphoneus Supremus
I can't swim.
frown.gif

The last time I did any sort of swimming was 4-5 years ago When I was 12. I was alright but after all this time I think I've forgotten how to swim. I just can't get into the mindset of swimming anymore.

So for all intensive purposes I'm a newbie. Any advice on how to [re]learn?

Is it possible to learn by myself (whilst supervised)?

May 8, 2007 at 3:53 AM Post #2 of 28
I would say absolutely. Just watch some movies on youtube of swimming races to see what the technique looks like and you should be alright, I personally think swimming is one of the easiest things to learn (I was swimming by age four).

If you want to learn the more difficult strokes (butterfly, breast stroke) then it will take some more practice.

May 8, 2007 at 3:54 AM Post #3 of 28
Of course, you might be able just to pick it all up again. HOWEVER, your community is certain to have terrific certified swimming lessons offered by instructors of the American Red Cross.

They're the pro's -- only way to get certification as a lifeguard.

http://www.redcross.org/services/hss/aquatics/sfp.html

May 8, 2007 at 3:54 AM Post #4 of 28
My father used to hold me in the deep end with his legs while I paddled... he's a bit too focused on things, though, and one day he just let me go on accident while reading.

And that was the day I learned to swim - when it's sink or swim, you have to swim.

I'd recommend for you try shallow water first, though. Kick off and do the hand motions. Once you can get a few feet with your hand, hold on to something and paddle with your feet. Then try kicking off and try swimming. You may not get far, but hey, it's a learning process.

It'll take some time for your brain to wire the motions correctly, but once you have it, you should be able to keep it for life (though stamina will obviously decay without consistent practice).

- lk

May 8, 2007 at 4:00 AM Post #5 of 28
Thanks for the quick replies
smily_headphones1.gif

The thing is that the lessons when I was 10-11 that I've had were all rather bad. Apparently I fall into the 1/100 people that can't float easily/naturally.

Oh, and is the difference between ocean/beach swimming and pool swimming very large?

Also, what's the proper technique for staying buoyant?

EDIT: 2k post yay

May 8, 2007 at 4:09 AM Post #6 of 28
ocean/beach - you're fighting against the waves and the tide. however, the salt in the ocean does help with floating.

large pool - it's you vs. the water.

I'd like to get back into swimming. Great way to exercise. However, we don't have membership to the public pools anymore, and I don't have a car. So yeah, I guess the TV will have to do.

May 8, 2007 at 4:42 AM Post #8 of 28
That seems so strange to me. I assume you live in a cold climate or somewhere, where swimming isn't common? I swear I have known how to swim for as long as I can remember. I mean, it's like walking...you really don't forget.

May 8, 2007 at 6:14 AM Post #10 of 28
I don't know if you're going to college soon, but they often have swimming test requirements so they give free lessons. But if you can afford it, I suggest you learn this summer with a teacher. It's one of the best all-body exercises in the world and can be a life-saver.

May 8, 2007 at 6:15 AM Post #11 of 28
dont do it by your own. learn from someone who really knows how to swim. if you dont do so, you MIGHT end up with some ugly form..

you will live with that ugly form but well, dont you want to swim RIGHT?
wink.gif

i had a couple of diver friends and i learned from them, very little. ah, i still suck..

May 8, 2007 at 6:43 AM Post #12 of 28
hardest part for me is getting over that water phobia of having your face/head submerged and being relaxed/focused. Practice this in the shallow end, being able to have your face in the water and not panic, being able to think clearly and let your breath out slowly/look around. The rest will be easy breezy. Remember humans float!

May 8, 2007 at 6:51 AM Post #13 of 28
I'm terrible at swimming, but excellent at not drowning.

May 8, 2007 at 7:07 AM Post #14 of 28
Yeah, I didn't know how to swim until about 4 years ago since I only briefly took lessons for about 2 weeks when I was 12. (I'm 22 right now). I got in the shallow end of a pool and had a friend give me some basic tips. From then, just a whole bunch of messing around got me where I can swim across 3/4 the length once of a pool they race in. I'm sure if I practiced more, it'd be better.

There shouldn't be any reason you would be able to teach yourself. Just stick to the shallow end where you can still stand and pretend that it's really deep. IE, don't let your feet touch until you sink.

As a note, I still haven't figured out how to float well.. I think I'm one of those 1/100 too
tongue.gif
wink.gif

May 8, 2007 at 11:42 AM Post #15 of 28
Swimming is an excellent way to keep fit. Great sport, if you can get the hang of it (Which isn't too hard). I recommend getting lessons, it makes the whole process of learning a bit easier - you make think you are doing the stroke correctly, when you might not be.

I've swam since when I was around 5 years old, and when I was 12 I swam in the British National Meet in the Olympic Pool at Sheffield, at a competition. However, I've given it up for a few years, and in the process, gained some weight too.
tongue.gif
I always like to go back into the pool for a good workout every now and then.

Possédé

Users who are viewing this thread

Back