sweet, sweet guitar tones wanted :D
Oct 27, 2007 at 3:56 AM Post #31 of 57
Oct 30, 2007 at 6:08 AM Post #33 of 57
Humbling!

You know Clapton is God when he can bust out Free Jazz at a moment's notice!

...I keed >.<

Oct 30, 2007 at 6:52 AM Post #34 of 57
Bahahahah. I love those videos, especially when the person who makes them can emulate the video's picking / fret position really well.
biggrin.gif

Oct 31, 2007 at 2:46 AM Post #35 of 57
Quote:

Originally Posted by Dave_M /img/forum/go_quote.gif
hi all, i'm learning to play electric guitar and i need some distortion. My marshall amp can be overdriven, but play 2-3 notes at once with it and it makes a terrible NASTY noise! yuck! It is not useable at all. I used to own a digital multi effects pedal (zoom GFX-707). It was ok but doesnt sound great, it takes somthing away from the music, just sounds flat and cheap. I sold it now. I tried out BOSS DS-1, very unimpressed although it's not terrible.

I'm thinking get a good valve amp with an effects loop and stay away from nasty transistor distortion. I'm not sure exactly what to look for apart from I will probably want to spend a little more to get somthing that sounds nice. Ideal amp would be versatile and get any sound out of it more or less.

Fender Hot Rod Deluxe looks good, not sure what it is capable of though. And having transformer coupled output to speakers... i almost cannot belive that sounds better than modern solid state tech. Any recommendations?

Did you end up selling the boss ds-1?

I'f you're interested in a good medium to high gain distortion for the blues junior, you should look into getting the ds1 keeley modded. It can make the blues junior sound like a full stack!

Oct 31, 2007 at 5:18 AM Post #37 of 57
Nov 1, 2007 at 6:11 PM Post #38 of 57
Quote:

Originally Posted by bloodydoorknob /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Did you end up selling the boss ds-1?

I'f you're interested in a good medium to high gain distortion for the blues junior, you should look into getting the ds1 keeley modded. It can make the blues junior sound like a full stack!

Hi, I never owned the DS-1 just tried it out in a shop. I got a Fulltone OCD on the way now though! Can't wait to get it, I'm importing it from the US, they are about $250 over here!! :O

Nov 1, 2007 at 7:14 PM Post #39 of 57
oooooh i've heard very very good things about the OCD! let us know what you think!

Nov 4, 2007 at 12:25 AM Post #41 of 57
Quote:

Originally Posted by Dave_M /img/forum/go_quote.gif
hi all, i'm learning to play electric guitar and i need some distortion. My marshall amp can be overdriven, but play 2-3 notes at once with it and it makes a terrible NASTY noise! yuck! It is not useable at all.

thats called distortion.. i dont think u can get rid of that unless u play clean
tongue.gif

well anyways, class a valve amps are really what you need for sweet tones. also ones with british tubes like the el34 will sound sweeter than the american ones even if they arent as powerful or dont have as much bass. try out a vox amp or an orange amp.

Nov 4, 2007 at 4:18 AM Post #43 of 57
I will let you in on a not so widely know tweak!

Snakeoil Strings!

http://www.sobstrings.net/

This is NO JOKE!

Vintage Formula:

Introduced back in 1989, these are still the only strings that accurately reproduce the original bell-like tone and warm respinse of the pure nickel roundwound strings of the 1950's and 60's. While retaining a contemporary feel, our "Original Nickel" sets are the ultimate experience for players favoring vintage instruments. Being particularly effective for any single-coil instrument, they are useful for the modern player who wants a warmer tone from any guitar.

He also makes a Rock Formula:

Our "Rock" Formula string sets are designed for the modern quitarist who wants maximum output, harmonic response, and ultimate flexibility! These string sets work well on any single-coil or humbucking equipped instrument. Our specially designed nickel-iron alloy combines several other components for extra long life, durability, and low fret-wear.

There is Bass also but have never tried them.

I personally prefer the Vintage which works GREAT on a STRAT. My EJ Strat has never sounded better and I would put this up against any string in the commercial arena.

Sustain is truely unbelievable.

Try these you will not regret it! Best know secret I have ever tried. I found it on a Fender forum and people were raving about them so I tried them and have put no other strings on my guitar since.

Nov 5, 2007 at 5:34 AM Post #44 of 57
i recently bought the vox ac15cc just out of my own impressions on it.

i havent found any magazine reviews on it or heard anyone elses opinions about it. has anyone here got any experience with it and if so whats your opinion.

Nov 5, 2007 at 5:57 AM Post #45 of 57
Quote:

Originally Posted by nothing101 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
i recently bought the vox ac15cc just out of my own impressions on it.

i havent found any magazine reviews on it or heard anyone elses opinions about it. has anyone here got any experience with it and if so whats your opinion.

Vox's AC series valve amps have always been popular for their super sparkley, jangly clean tone, so the slightly less-expensive Custom Classic versions of them probably sound similar. Vox AC is basically the "British Clean" tone.

The reliability of their tube amps has been a little questionable, so you may want to be careful when transporting the amp.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back