Sweet semi-budget open setup advice
Jan 13, 2012 at 2:18 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 3

Mogget

New Head-Fier
Hey folks,

I'm using some M50's with my computer's 3.5 mm output at the moment, but am feeling the need (desire, really, but whatever) for something a bit more advanced.  To wit:  an open headphone, and a proper DAC/amp of some sort.

On the headphone front, I love the M50's, but I do also enjoy the open-air sound.  I've been toying with the though of some AKG 701/702's, but can't sort out if that's the best option anymore (they seemed to be pretty popular a few years ago, but have kind of dropped off the radar since).  I've also tried some Grado SR80i's, and frankly, wasn't terribly taken.  Plus, I prefer the circumaural option.  I get hot ears easily.  In terms of sound, I admit I kind of dig good bass, but not at the expense of overall detail.

For the DAC part, I've heard good things about uDac2's, Fiio E7's, Firestone Fubars (though those are a bit pricey), and the other usual suspects in the budget category.  I've also heard good things about the Audinst HUD-MX1, but I'm not entirely sure if that's really what I need (want).

I spend a lot of time listening to music, and also a lot of time (though a lot less, compared to music) playing games.  In the former category, I listen to everything, but probably tilted more towards rock (eg. Stone Temple Pilots, Mother Mother), symphonic metal (eg. Nightwish), and classical (a very long list).  In the latter, well, all games have explosions, don't they?

In terms of cost, I'm not looking to spend a fortune, but am willing to pay for decent quality (say, the standard best-bang-for-buck question, plus a bit if necessary).  I'm willing to invest in headphones a bit more, just because they last so long, but the 701 class is as high as I'll go -- there are a lot of fine things to spend money on besides diminishing audio returns.  For dacs/amps, I don't need a Ferrari, just something capable of driving whatever phones and being better than most computers' internal sound circuitry.

So, after all that, any suggestions?  Preferably not involving anything from Stax, which is definitely out of my price range.  Thanks!

Edit:  Oh, and I spend a lot of time in Linux, so if a DAC has to have custom Windows drivers or something installed, it probably won't make me happy.

Jan 13, 2012 at 3:16 AM Post #2 of 3
My loose understanding of USB DACs is that those with an asynchronous transfer mode require special drivers to work that way, but most of them work fine in synchronous mode (or only function that way), which is plug-and-play for any reasonably modern OS, Linux included.

While you didn't mention internal sound cards, I am wondering how well C-Media chipset-based sound cards work under Linux. (I'm just hoping that it's a hell of a lot better off than anything X-Fi-based. Those are Windows gaming cards through and through, god help you if you try to use one under Linux.)

As for headphones...the K701/K702/Q701 needs a substantial amp to back it up, or at least that's what they all say. Since those headphones are already in the $220-250 range and need a powerful amp to drive them (word is that a FiiO E9 will be enough, and that's another $80-100), you're looking at $300-350 just for headphones and amp, shipping not included. That's within spitting distance of Stax already...yes, you can get setups for under $400 if you know where to look. (Just ask.)

If you want to cut down the price a bit, the Audio-Technica AD900 seems promising if it's every bit as comfortable as the AD700 and lacks that model's bass deficiency, along with bearing better build quality and remaining just as sensitive (no powerful amp needed). That would leave some room in your budget for a DAC.

Feb 6, 2012 at 8:33 PM Post #3 of 3
Back from the dead!  Hmm, a $400 Stax, eh?  Where would one find those?  As for sound cards, nah, X-Fi isn't really my cup of tea.  Through everything I've read, external seems like the way to go.  Plus, I can take it to work that way!

I don't know much about the AD900's, but they may be an option.  For some reason, I keep coming back to the K70X series, though.  I get the impression that a lot of people like them with an E7/E9 combination.  Would that work?  Or would some AD900's be just as good?

Thanks for the advice so far!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back